LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barra Question Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barra Question Time
    Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:35am
    This ones for the regular Barra Fishing Guys OnlySmile please, thank you. Simple question, what's your favourite Barra Lure Colour???? also what is the main colour you like to see on a Barra Lure (base colour) and preferably for Estuary Barra Fishing (real Barra FishingWink)
Cheers Warren
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:21pm
Gold or silver work well for me Warren , purple for deep trolling lures .
Flathead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flathead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:53pm
Gold, silver, green make me feel more likely to catch fish and make up most of my go to lure colors. Different shapes/styles for different locations Never been one for Elton John style color schemes but I've seen Barra caught on just about every color out there.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:34pm
Colour doesn't matter, put it in the right place and barra will eat it.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:40pm
Seaweed.
He didn't ask what colour the Barra like......the first thing a lure MUST do, is catch the fisherman and this is very important to any commercial lure maker.(I think this is what Samurai is trying to do)
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:43pm
I prefer gold or silver for daytime and chartreuse at night, all on a white base... That's for the shallows, maybe purple/white or green /yellow for deeper work.
Fysshe
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Oldman Oldman wrote:

Seaweed.
He didn't ask what colour the Barra like......the first thing a lure MUST do, is catch the fisherman and this is very important to any commercial lure maker.(I think this is what Samurai is trying to do)

Oldman these days as a non commercial lure maker and painter, unlike in the past when I was a commercial lure maker I no longer give a sh#%#Big smile what the lure buying public like or don't like. I paint what works or has worked in the past for me and if people don't like my paint jobs or designs, hey no one is force or being made to buy my Backyard painted luresLOLLOL. Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers Warren
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:23pm
Like Seaweed, I have caught them on every colour from white to black (including a black Nicko's cod shagga), but I must admit that if I was pushed for a colour scheme - all gold with maybe a thin white belly and a bit of red around the gills. Pearl white with chartreuse stripes is also a favourite pattern when working shallow sand banks.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:28pm
Gold is first choice but I’m also a bit partial to guns n roses green red. Soft plastics in white seems to go ok to.
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:59am
so many colours for different conditions,fresh water my goto now is gar colours as in silverfleck light green top,white belly ,red under bib. this  color on my timber lures  has worked in all barra stocked dams in qld .the old saying dark lures dark day works for me too.satwater it has to be purpletop yellow belly bleeding mullet color with rattles(classic manta ray number 1) pearl whites in run off water , purple or gun and roses in murky water .can be so bloody confusing at times ,just keep putting lures on till you get a patten
it a lot better world if you just smile
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 8:37am
If I had to fish with one lure colour I would chose something with fluoro green on it, without doubt. Doesn't matter what type of lure, just as long as it has the green on it. That's for saltwater Barra.........

For freshwater, ie billabong Barra it's a Bleeding Mullet colour scheme that's gets the run-on gig every time.

But as others have said, colour has nothing to do with it........it's all about the action.

Me and a mate experimented many years ago out at Yellow Waters, both dragging blue/white Spearheads. I'm catching a fish every pass, mate not even a touch. I give him my lure, he starts catching, me nothing.....I take my lure back, he is back to nothing. I replace mine with a brand new identical lure.......nothing. The new lure had an ever so slightly different action to the other. I put the other back on starts taking fish again. I put it all down to action of that one lure.
Mate gets the shits and we go back to camp..........
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 10:20am
Read it again Laurie, I'm coming down next month, I'll take you to OPSM you poor old bugger .
Seaweed.
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:35am
       When I was with River2Sea, the factory in China would send out prototypes for me to play with and test, when the lures would arrive here for me the  factory would have only ever put a bit of paint (no particular colour) on the back and a bit of red under the chin nothing else I found that this lack of paint or patterns worked well on whatever species I was chasing at the time everything from Trout to Barra in particular Barra. Too this day the majority of the lures in my own tackle boxes are painted the same a colour down the back red under the chin, I paint all my lure that way from Cranks to Poppers.
        Of course this only works on Clear Plastic lure (that's all I use anywaySmile) But hey it works for me and that's the main thing RightLOL I custom paint a lot of blanks that way for my customers and they all seem happy with their lack of paintSmile

Cheers Warren

Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
Simple answer - natural colours/ brown.
In general, on there day a barra will hit anything but I’ve found when the going get tough.....a natural coloured brown of natural green is a clear winner.
Provided you can present it in the correct manner (depth, no/action, speed ect)
Oh course the golds and bright greens in different areas and conditions are equally as good.
Dan
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:06pm
Oh and can’t forget the silver/mullet colour as well or the “catfish” as I now refer to it or when people ask for it.
Dan
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

If I had to fish with one lure colour I would chose something with fluoro green on it, without doubt. Doesn't matter what type of lure, just as long as it has the green on it. That's for saltwater Barra.........

For freshwater, ie billabong Barra it's a Bleeding Mullet colour scheme that's gets the run-on gig every time.

But as others have said, colour has nothing to do with it........it's all about the action.

Me and a mate experimented many years ago out at Yellow Waters, both dragging blue/white Spearheads. I'm catching a fish every pass, mate not even a touch. I give him my lure, he starts catching, me nothing.....I take my lure back, he is back to nothing. I replace mine with a brand new identical lure.......nothing. The new lure had an ever so slightly different action to the other. I put the other back on starts taking fish again. I put it all down to action of that one lure.
Mate gets the shits and we go back to camp..........
thats some sage advice right there could'nt agree more BlinkyThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:43pm
i havent caught a lot of Barra myself but of the lures i have made for folk who do catch Barra -chartruese back/stripes  with white pearl belly with blue tinge in the pearl and yellow flouro hot spot under the chin works the best .although having said that i hark back to what Blinky said in that action and placement is way more importantWink
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:55pm
here you go lure looks darker than it is in this pic,i think the red eyes can maybe make a difference too
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm
I have been told by a tackle shop owner near one of the barra dams that the lures with the best catch rates have UV red eyes. I can't see that being different for salty barra.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2018 at 11:46am
That bloke may be onto something there Martin, barra are great cannibals, think I'll start painting my barra lures with red pupils, can't hurt.
Seaweed.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:06pm
If I was fishing dirty water, big tides, fluro green. 
I dont sell all that many barratroopers, probably a total of about 1000, but the fluro green is the best seller by a pretty big margin.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:52pm

Hi Dave, got this at Tommycut a couple of weeks ago, lost it to a metre threadfin 😭
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:17am
thanks Steve!!,Better come over , I give ya a couple of replacements.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 8:14pm
Good to see you're still at it Dave.
Seaweed.
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 10:00pm
Cheers Dave, I’ll be in touch 👍
BarraKageBuster View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarraKageBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:46pm
i think from what people are telling me cartoon enteritides yellow/red and black or saturated red uv reflective eyes are the go now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic