FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

swim action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swim action
    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 11:11am
with a few plugs, I have noticed their action change once finished. what I normally do, is shape my plug, seal it, then test them. then I paint them and clearcoat them, and done. when I have the chance, I get back out and try them again in the water, usually on a fishing trip. there have been a couple though, that have then lost their action, actually, they still have it, but will do a loop mixed in with it. the odd one just loops completely.
my thinking is that the clearcoat went on too thick on the cup, changing the action. with my plugs, I don't use a lip, instead I shape the front of the plug into a cup, to give it it's action and dive. I guess I have been very fortunate overall, as I have never paid too much attention to my coatings possibly being too thick, and almost all the plugs I have ever made have ran great. aside from only a couple.
but for a plug to change action from testing to finish, for my style anyway, it has to be a change in the cup/face I would guess. the last batch though, I did pay close attention to this, making sure to put the thinnest coat possible on. but one is doing a spin every so often with it's action.

does anyone use any other clearcoats than the e-tex or devcon/2-ton?
there's a couple auto clearcoats I have been looking at, they can go on soooo much thinner and you can just simply dip the lure in, eezy-peezy.......it seems anyway. I do love the e-tex, personally I have had no issues with it at all. only once, with it not adhering to a certain paint, but that was my fault using a wrong paint. just some times it would be nice to speed up that process and eliminate the mixing, coating, turning. dip-and-done does sound appealing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic