LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some new styles and colours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some new styles and colours
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:37pm
a couple of my latest styles have forced me to go to terminal connections. I have been making my plugs with a through-hole design, which I like, as it means no extras to worry about. but it's almost more difficult, so I doubt there's any advantage. but some new styles are longer in shape, so that required adding eyehooks and hooks to them. and being that I prefer to try to make everything, I made my own eyehooks. besides, I don't really like how large the bought ones are.
a cup-hook screwed into the end of the drill works like a charm. squeeze the two ends of the wire into the vise, get the hook into the loop of the wire, then a little spin of the drill and voila, instant eyehooks.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:38pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:39pm

it actually got addicting, spinning them up.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:42pm

then some colour-tests on an old broom handle.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:45pm

and a real shocker while I was working in the garage, this fella landed on my hand and was trying to poke me.
that's surely gotta be a sign that spring could be early this year.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:47pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:48pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:51pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:57pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:59pm
you can see some bumps in the blue area. a couple plugs were dipped into the primer then hung, and the heater was a little too hot for them. they started to boil. all the others, I painted a couple coats by hand, so it was much thinner.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:08pm
my phone just couldn't pick up the orange very well. the pics don't show the true colours very well.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:18pm

I have read about guys having nothing but problems with e-tex. I must be really lucky or something. this is how mine looks after I mix it, and I start brushing it right on. no breathing on it, no heating it with a flame as it turns. and my plugs turn out fine, with no bubbles in them anywhere. the only problem I have ever had, is when I didn't get my measurements the same, and one batch didn't get that glass-hard finish. but that was my fault. humidity is apparently a big factor in working with it, but I do mine in the rain, in the heat, in the cold winter, I've been pretty lucky.
I have been looking into some of the auto clear-coats, but haven't committed to it yet. I think if I was looking at selling lures, I would go that route, to speed the process up. but for my personal use, I rather enjoy the e-tex process and I really, really love the depth of the gloss.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm
Done well, they should catch you heaps Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:58am
sure hoping. the main thing will be to get out a lot more this year. I can't believe how many lures I have now that have never even had that true test of being in the water on a fishing trip.

I forced myself to make a couple blue ones this time. that's the colour that I have never warmed to. I always lean toward the greens. but when you look at your collection that has grown and grown, you start to noticed it's mostly a certain tint and that other colour is lacking. so some blue shades will make the tackle box more colourful.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 4:00am
I think this slender, longer style will be very successful. i'm loving the shape. definitely resembles the baitfish better.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:23pm

here's one of a few that I have been working on for some time. I made the lures quite awhile ago, but then they were put on the back-burner while I worked on others. these were saved because of their awesome woodgrain, no way was I painting over these. I knew how I wanted them to look, and I think this one turned out fairly well. it's still not finished, the cup's shape hasn't been completely done yet, nor the hole through.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:25pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:32pm

this one should get named "fugly", but it is "bullet-tooth".
I was messing about with a couple plugs I made, working on different fronts for them, instead of the dished-out face/cup that I do. in front of me on my workbench was a bunch of spent cartridges from hunting season. hmmm. so I made a cut-away from one and glued it to the front of the plug. then I shaped the wood a bit to kinda match it a bit.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:33pm

then I notched out the rear. the plan was to put a tail on it. I slide a rubber grub for bass into this slot and put a pin in from the side.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:37pm
I wasn't expecting anything at all from it when I tested it. I made a few different ideas. a couple didn't work at all, but this one looked incredible in the water. it's action was amazing, which was great yet hysterical at the same time. now that it's all painted up and finished, I can't wait to go cast it again and see it swim some more.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:41pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:43pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:46pm

this is a bit better to the actual colours of the lure, this lighting is terrible.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:49pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:51pm

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:54pm
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm

this is how they actually look. I won't bother with any more in this lighting right now, it's a waste.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:20pm
The grain on those nude bodies is sensational!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:27pm
Well done and yes that bide looks awesome
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:33am

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic