LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diamond willow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diamond willow
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:26pm
I've been collecting diamond willow for the past few years. mainly for making canes and walking sticks. but I cut a few larger pieces the other year, unsure what I would do with them, but they were such nice pieces, I had to take them. they are long dried now, so I had cut off the not-so-nice pieces from some and was going to toss it. actually, I was going to use it for a campfire when I finally get out fishing in the next month or two. but looking through it last week, I was able to get a few pieces from it that were reasonably straight, and would be able to be turned on the lathe. it would be a lot of wood to take off, to get down through the growths in the wood, and down to a lure-diameter. but it was worth it, because you get down to the heart wood, which is reddish, and has terrific grain. they will definitely be nudes for sure. no pics yet, but will post some when I take them.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:57pm
Will be watching and waiting for thisThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:50am

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:50am

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:51am

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 4:54am

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:12am
I decided to make these into a new style, something a little larger, hopefully for lake trout. they aren't done yet, I haven't fully decided on the finished shape, the nose/head mainly.
those holes are the last little remnants of the diamonds. I stopped at this size, so they weren't all completely gone. but I think they will add a bit to the looks. I am filling them with epoxy before I clear-coat.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:17am
question. my first "nude" was almost accidental. I had no intention of making one, but some incredible grain stopped me from painting over it. now, I just simply applied the e-tex as normal, right over the raw wood.
is that the best way? is there something else to coat with first, that might enhance the grain better more? I know varathane really enhances wood grain, but it's not really UV resistant, etc, and will e-tex then adhere to it. is there maybe another better way? or is what I am doing what most do for there's?
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:18am
better more?? oops.
should have proof-read that.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:20am
went on another drive yesterday. even the lower lakes are still froze.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:21am

did find some open water though. so the melt is beginning.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:24am

and the mountain lakes are going to be awhile yet.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 5:25am
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 7:37pm
That should come up as a great nude - nice grain.

Still a little bit cool I see. I have been told that where I am now, when the temperature drops below 20 degrees celsius, the local start wearing ski jacketsShocked
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 2:40am
ha. this was a t-shirt day here, after how long and cold the winter has been this year.
I have a lot of fishing to do this year to catch up for the lack of it lack year. i'm just finishing another batch of lures, I have two batches ready to clearcoat. I was just looking at my stockpile that has accumulated and I realized, damn, it's only a handful that have actually been fished. I guess I really need to spend some hours seeing if the fish actually like the colour patterns. looking great to a person only means something if one is trying to sell them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic