LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Usefull publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eeeeeels!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eeeeeels!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:20am
Very interesting read about an animal we know so little about.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 8:14pm
My freshwater fishing as a kid growing up was mainly eels. I remember those days- early mornings-late night s fondly
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 9:13pm
Same here. Eels and eel-tailed catfish. Wire trace, liver for bait. My best was 20lb from our farm dam & 16lb from Lake Moogerah.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:19am
10 if libe. A set of gang hooks with a sausage as a bait and early morning in a weeded over lagoon and cast to where the weed was moving was a favourite method.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 11:21am
My biggest eel went 4 foot long and about 2 foot around. With all of the weed and the snags you needed the heavier line. The weeds seemed to hold the bigger fish
Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 8:10pm
We mostly used handlines as kids. A tough fish & a dirty fighter. That's why I like them. I'll never get tired of the first run when they pick up the bait.
They don't take lures often thankfully. I still remember one swimming off with a Jackal at the Gorge in Moogerah. $25!!!!!What made it worse is I could still hear the lure as he swam away with it..........
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:24pm
Lost a little silver chrome Bill Norman bass plug to a 5 foot plus model to one up the Tweed River - thing went absolutely nursing supreme
Martin-

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 7:58am

lamprey  Eels Tasmania

Distingushing Features:

Lampreys do not have a jaw or paired fins, but they have a distinct oral sucking disk for their mouth. Juvenile lampreys have no eyes and are worm like. The adult male of the pouched lamprey develops a large pouch below the head during the upstream spawning run.

Colour:

Juvenile lampreys are brown, and the adults are bluish grey on top and more silvery underneath, but this may change to more of a dull brown after some time in fresh water.

Size:

Pouched lamprey - Juveniles from 80 mm, and the adults 500-700 mm long. Short-headed lamprey - Juveniles from 110 mm, and the adults commonly to 330 mm.

General:

They are native to Tasmania and south-east Australia. Lampreys together with hagfishes are the sole surviving representatives of jawless vertebrates. The adult lampreys are parasitic, attaching themselves to a host sea fish, and then extracting blood and muscle tissue. The returning migrating adults are capable of climbing wet vertical faces.

Life Cycle:

Lampreys have several distinct stages in their life cycle. Filter feeding short-headed lamprey larvae bury themselves in the substrate of streams for up to 3 years, pouched lampreys larvae for up to 4 years. After a metamorphosis, the juveniles then migrate downstream to the sea where they become parasitic feeders. After 1-2 years at sea the adult lampreys return to the streams to spawn. They require waters with sand, gravel or pebble substrates for spawning. They die after spawning.

Habitat:

Larvae prefer slower flowing water where they can burrow into mud, sand or silt. Adults are found in faster flowing water on the sides of rivers with suitable burrowing habitat and shelter that they tend to burrow into at night. During the day they can be found beneath loose stones.

Diet:

The larvae are filter feeders, feeding on algae, detritus and micro-organisms. Adults during their marine stage are parasitic on marine fish, and returning adults do not feed when they enter freshwater.

Why is it Threatened?:

Instream barriers preventing migration; Loss of instream habitat; Stream channel damage from sand and gravel extraction.

Tasmanian Distribution:

Reasonably common in many rivers around the state, although the extent of their distribution is still not known.

jOHN'S cOMMENT

I was watching  a group of lamprey eels returning from the salt water and they were moving in a school up a weir on the Emu River about a klm and half  from the river mouth.

It  occurred during the whitebait season, before mobile phones with cameras

It was only a trickle coming over the weir and they made hard work off it.

As the information on GOOGLE SAID.

MIGRATING ADULTS ARE CAPABLE OF CLIMBING WET VERTICAL FACES

Regards John

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 6:16pm
I hate EELS nearly as much as HOSES!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic