Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10,000km half loop and a few lures carved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10,000km half loop and a few lures carved
    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
We've just returned from a trip to Alice Springs, to see my brother and his family.  I decided to carve a lure in every place that we stayed.  Also caught up with Gavin Marshall, and other luremakers, in Townsville. Steve Muchow took Gavin and I fishing at Cardwell ..... and I still haven't caught a Barra!!  Rocco Panuccio dragged his boat from Griffith to Lake Mulwala, so that we could fish the mighty dam, but someone pulled the plug and it was impossible to launch the boat Angry

We camped at Eatons Hill (Brisbane), Buderim, 1770, Yeppoon, Mackay, Airlie Beach, Townsville, Hughenden, Mount Isa, Barkly Homestead, Devils Marbles Hotel, Alice Springs, Uluru, Coober Pedy, Port Augusta, Adelaide, Renmark, Mildura, Echuca, Mulwala and Bathurst.

This photo was taken at Mulwala. It was raining and the Lake had been lowered 4.5 metres! 

Bathurst I carved a 6" Scorpion

Now, all I have to do is find time to finish them!

Beer

Travers

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 4:47pm
I saved the Mega Booma for a 'symbolic' carve in Alice Springs.  The red cedar representing the Red Centre and the Booma shape to represent the local aboriginals.  That big blank went on a lot of tourist drives with us and was happy to have his photo taken.

The Mega Booma visited the Telegraph Station, Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm and Ellery Creek Big Hole

The accommodation at Alice Springs was a bit rough. Stayed with my brother about 20 km north of the Alice. First meal was Kangaroo tails. Had to get up at 6.30 each morning to light the Donkey Heater, so we had hot water. A real education!

The sunsets were worth it, though

Beer

Travers

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:13pm
That's an epic trip.
No other word for it.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

That's an epic trip.
No other word for it.

John, we stole the father-in-law's little Jayco Penguin and did our very first trip in a van. Both, BT50 and the Jayco had an event free trip. We had a great 7 weeks away, ticking off the bucket list as we went.

Andymac1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 7:35pm
That would be a awesome trip enjoy!!
Kunde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kunde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:12pm
Wow, you covered some miles. Looks like a great trip.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 10:14pm
What a great way to make Lures Travers, by putting the historical moments in them
You make some awesome Lures

Knaek & Break
      Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 4:40pm
Good to see you made it home safe & well Travers. It was great to have you & Robyn over to meet some of our Townsville lure nuts and it was a shame we couldn't manage to get you connected to a barra.
Cheers,

Gavin
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 6:06pm
love your work ,very interesting places to carve 
it a lot better world if you just smile
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 10:19pm
The Biggera Digger that I carved at Yulara, managed a few photo shoots around Uluru and the Olgas.

Beer

Travers

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 12:15am
was just talking to Roy today about Mulwala TraversLOL.Looks like you had a great trip anyway mateThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

was just talking to Roy today about Mulwala TraversLOL.Looks like you had a great trip anyway mateThumbs Up

Just unfortunate that we struck Lake Mulwala at low tide!  We knew that they were dropping the water level by 3.5 metres, to kill aquatic weeds, but they decided to let an extra metre of water out just before we arrived.

Mulwala Boat Ramp                                             Yarrawonga Boat Ramp

The 6" Skinny Kad that I carved at Mulwala         A 4" Skinny Skinny Kad with depth enhancing spinner

We launched Rocco's boat below the weir but the water was freezing!! The Cod weren't happy and didn't play.

The Cod lures that I took to Mulwala

Rocco and I had planned a fishing trip to Mulwala about 4 years ago.  We finally executed the plan, but our timing was poor!

Beer
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 1:19pm
good to see you got there and back safe mate, next time you come up we will get you on to some barra mate,
Kunde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kunde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 11:20pm
Mate some good of those Cod lures are gorgeous, that pink Cletus........amazing
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 5:22pm
Nice pics Travers!
cheers steiny
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by steiny steiny wrote:

Nice pics Travers!

Thanks, Darren. Would have been great to catch up, while we were in Mackay, but you were too far away!  It was great to catch up with a few of the crew in Townsville.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:32pm
Just got home after visiting Adelaide, bloody freezing and windy. Note to self, 'never go south of the Tropic of Capricorn again in winter'. Wife and I both had flu shots, both have the flu. Bit of R&R in Darwin will fix us.
Sounds like you had a good trip Travers, good for you.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:34pm
Told you to turn right at the 'Threeways' Travers, those Qlders. are hopeless. Me and Toby Hewitt would have got you a big Adelaide R. barra. Toby smashed it this runoff. Next time?
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:53pm
Great trip, I love the story and the pics and how you managed to see other Lure Lovers along the way is gold. Pity about Mulwalla, its good to see Travers that you still make sensational looking lures..
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:34pm
Nice photos Travers. Lures with a traveling story before they are finished. Most get the traveling story after their finished. They've done some miles.
whipit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic