LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure Width

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure Width
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:45pm
Hi all
Got myself a bandsaw yesterday, all set up now and ready to go! I have drawn up a few templates for lures for the side profile that I want to have a crack at, and am going to experiment a bit with the top profile and shape.
My question is regarding width of the lures - is this going to be another "trial and error" thing or is there a way of figuring out a suitable widthbased on the lure length / side profile height?
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:41pm
There probably would be an equation out there to define the perfect length × width...
It influences action and boyancy...but then the bib size and shape comes into play as well.
Short and squat usually gives a hard wriggle. ..longer and leaner more of a sway.
Trial and error.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 6:44pm
Trial and error until you get the action you want. In general though; a fat lure reduces the ability for the lure to roll like what you want a barra lure to do.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:20pm
There is no set rule, you can learn by observing different types of lures to get a mindset on the type of lure you want to make, if you can understand that! One side template can be used for a variety of lures by varying the thickness of the lure, by using different styles of bibs, towing from the bib or from the nose of the lure, etc. Lots of variables to consider... Start with one shape and play around with it, good luck...
Fysshe
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:58pm
Thanks for the advice fellas. Decided to hook in and try some different widths with the templates I have made - starting at 20mm and going up on some to 35mm.
Have posted some progress pics - width is 20mm, timber is western red cedar. I ended up just tapering slightly at the front and back for the top profile. Pretty happy with how things are looking so far, need to seal it next and see if it swims!
Dan
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:49pm
Some great shapes you have made
Looking forward to see your progress
Keep trying thats the way forward

Knaek & Break
          Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 8:37pm
I like the shape of that bottom oneClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
all of those should work as long as the bibslot angle is right for the bibs your putting in(more angle for small bib's to create drag and less angle for big bibs).Trial and error you will figure it out.these are looking good thoughThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:52pm
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.
Chris - great tip re the bib angle Vs size. As an L plater this sort if stuff us gold to me!
Will add more photos when they are ready, and sing out if I need some more guidance in refining the swimming action.
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:22pm
Looks like you have jumped to a P plater pretty quick. You have done well so far and look forward to seeing the finished product.
whipit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic