LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Railway made reels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Railway made reels
    Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 9:42pm
I found this site that shows a large variety of sidecast reels made by workers in the Ipswich Railway Workshops (called foreigners by the workers).Some would pass as factory made. My example has been donated to Debbie for her collection,the metal work was made by one of the sheetmetal workers and the cedar reel was turned one of the wood butchers. cost me five bob for work.

australianfishingmuseum.com/Ipswich-railway-workshops/

Regards Don.

DON
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
Cool reels Thumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:17am
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:19am
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 2:01pm
This one looks like an original Alvey cedar reel, good work for a foreign order. Same work done in the Sydenham Railway Workshops in the early days, these blokes obviously had plenty of free time .
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 3:45pm
Regarding the reel that I gave Debbie ,(the reel in her photo),I had to purchase the two handles from a local fish[ng store. Don.
DON
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 12:59pm
thats a great reel Don,well doneClap
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

thats a great reel Don,i remember hearing once of a huge argument between Bob Dowse and Jack Alvey over Bob selling Alvey parts to make these(Bob had the tackle shop just up the road from the workshops),some very interesting history with these reels ive got a few myself might have to donate one to you as well DebWink

that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic