Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pormpuraaw trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pormpuraaw trip
    Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 10:13pm
I’ve been at Pormpuraaw since Monday with my brother in law Wayne staying at one of his friends house. On our arrival on Monday STeve took us up the Chapman River and we set a couple of pots for mud crabs. Steve then went on to say that the best lure for barramundi there is soft plastic vibes, then on his second cast he scored a 62 cm barra. The next morning Wayne and I took Steve’s tinnie up the river to fish and check the pots. An undersized Barra only but two huge buck crabs that were full. So dinner that night was Barra and muddies- I know, you feel sorry for my hard life.          Yesterday saw us without any legal muddies and me with an undersized Barra in the morning. In the afternoon Wayne and I went to the mouth of the Mungkan Creek (by a sandy road) where we used lures while having a. live mullet out. I scored an undersized Barra, a 71 and a 65 cm barra and Wayne a barra of 61 cm all on the live bait. This morning we found that a crocodile had raided a crab pot taking the bait and bait hook and moved it about 80 metres away. The other one had the two barra heads we used as bait pulled through an entrance into the pot- no legal crabs. I also caught two catch fish only. Later today we went back to the Mungkan and i scores a blue salmon on a live bait. I also lost a barra on a live mullet as it straightened the hook. This fish had a mouth that a 2 litre bottle of coke would fit in. Lost it right by my feet.           While fishing has not been great, it has been entertaining. The moon and tides has been all wrong for us with only one high and one low tide a day with the high being late at night.      Tomorrow should see us on an aboriginal station that we have permission to go on, providing that they come good with taking us to their secret water hole. With the rodeo in town, plans at change suddenly.    I’ll post up photos once I get back to Cooktown.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:54am
Sounds like a good time     as usual     Martin 😁😁
Cheers Steve R!!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
dmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 1:47pm
Sounds like you had a great time. Such a lovely place to fish. I clocked up 25 years of trips to Pormpuraaw last year - getting there most years at least once. It does have its ups and downs....but the monster barras keep bringing me back. Not to mention the afternoon sunsets. Was better with a cold beer in hand...but not to he anymore. Keen to see your pics.

Dean
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:29pm
Well we didn't get onto the aboriginal land. Wayne's friend that was going to take us there had rounded up too much cattle and had to load them onto the trucks to send off so we headed to another cattle station that Wayne knows the traditional owners off and where we had stayed quite a few times before.

Some Pormpuraaw photos, mainnly showing photos of lure caught fish.
Pormpuraaw sunset as per DMC

The only lure caught barra, on a jointed Ray Murphy lure.

A catfish caught on a Lance Butler lure, a timber like vibe that is used like a soft plastic.

The result of a throw of a cast net - 2 barra and a threadfin salmon, all undersized.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 10:58pm
Here are some photos of our freshwater stay. It's hard to get Wayne to take photos as he prefers to be fishing or is too far away to take a photo.

Wayne uses gold Bombers 90% of the time. Here he is with the biggest fish of the freshwater at 76 cm (approx).

Fish caught on Cam Cupitt's Headland Lures

This Roy Durre's C.R.A.F.T. Lure caught a lot of Archer fish

Barra on Darren Ringlestein's DJR lures

and an Archer fish on a DJR

Fish on Fugly's lures

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:10pm
Now a little break before more fish photos

A PICTURE, BECAUSE I'M A FUN GUYWink

a 4 metre croc near our camp

And a cute little 1.5 metre freshwater croc

A lot of wind made for a lot of leaf litter on the water. This made retrieving of lures difficult as the leaves kept on disrupting the lures action. We had to skip large areas of fishable water because of this.

This snag held a lot of barra, and each of them knew this tree very very intimately LOL. Coupled with 20 kilo flouro leader that kept on snapping before the 10 kilo line. I was lucky to land any fish at all before I ditched the leader material. Lost 6 lures on this snag in one day.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018 at 11:25pm
I lost this Wal Muffet made Illusion Lure straight after this Archer fish due to the inferior leader material

Mark A Lures

this lure suspends very well - love it

Peter Rayner's lures worked very well. Was hard to put them away to give other people's lures a go

Only had the one Ray Murphy lure on me when we went on this particular trek (3 photos same fish). This lure too was lost due to inferior leader material.

Martin-

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 12:18am
Some bloody nice fish there Martin! Looks like you both had a great time...
Fysshe
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:22am
Great stuff Martin, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up
dmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 8:30am
Thanks for sharing. Great pics.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 2:45pm
what a great trip!,thanks for sharing big fellaThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:07pm
Hey. Chris, that Frugal Dougal you left for me to play with, that was lost to a big barra with that snag and inferior leader material. The next day we could.see it floating on the outer extremities of the snag just teasing me.
Martin-

scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:30pm
looks like you had a great trip Martin would a lure retriever save you losing so many nice lures jeeez I would cry if I lost that many in a day lol
Ed.McC
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by scotch&dry scotch&dry wrote:

looks like you had a great trip Martin would a lure retriever save you losing so many nice lures jeeez I would cry if I lost that many in a day lol

Unfortunately these break offs were mainly due to the inferior leader material. On one 40 cm fish, I was pulling it up the 1 metre high bank by a new length of fluoro carbon leader and it broke, losing the fish and lure. On another occasion after the leader broke I thought I must not have tied the knot properly as there was the usual tell take squiggly bit on the end. On the next knot I passed the leader through the snap clip twice and it broke right on the snap leaving the fully formed locked blood knot perfectly in place. Was not happy.
Martin-

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:27am
Fantastic Wookiee Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
OH WILL YOU STOP POSTING!!!!!!
YOUR KIllING ME!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Stozraker View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stozraker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:51pm
Hi HorrorHead - Love your posts!

I am planning a trip to Pormpuraaw in May this year and would love to chase some Barra up in the fresh water as you did.

I have looked and there is no real information. If you would be kind enough to share some areas to look that would be greatly appreciated. My email is Storrer1@hotmail.com.

Cheers 

Tim 
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:35pm
Sounds like good fun Martin
But next time please wisit a place with a more easy name. I nearly broke my tungue trying to pronounce it ConfusedLOLLOL
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:52am
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Sounds like good fun Martin
But next time please wisit a place with a more easy name. I nearly broke my tungue trying to pronounce it ConfusedLOLLOL

Hahahahahahahahaha!
Bad juju View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad juju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:19am
Awesome thread once again 

So from a Canadian who knows nothing about crocs how often do they steal your fish?
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Bad juju Bad juju wrote:

So from a Canadian who knows nothing about crocs how often do they steal your fish?

Once - and then you move along.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Bad juju Bad juju wrote:

be thankful it was your fish and not you...mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Bad juju View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad juju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:37am
Sounds like the crocs add a little excitement to fishing LOL
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:58pm
G’d Stozraker. The best way to get to Musgrave Station at the moment is the long way through Lakefield NP. There are a lot of camping areas in the NP and all on pretty good holes. The best fishing starts a bit of a walk from those holes though due to less fishing pressure , but be prepared to do a bit of bushwhacking. In the past couple of years I have found a new fondness for green  coloured lures. A hand held GPS is a definite advantage to find your way back in a hurry- in case you take a short cut as it’s very easy to loose your bearings. A couple of times I purposely didn’t look at the GPS and instead relied on our senses of direction. When I checked my Garmin, we had done a full circle both times.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:03pm
The crocs are “ fun”. They can get very friendly. We have lost a few to them and had a few more trying to get our fish. You can never be sure just where they all are. 
Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:02pm
What brand leader were you using?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
It was “Gladiator “ brand that crapped up on me
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic