LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hmm Not Sure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hmm Not Sure
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 9:05pm
Thanks Danny
Sorry for the late reply I will check out that website I missed your reply and just came across it
Still haven`t done anything yet may do the next trip without an electric to see how I go, already know I will regret it. But I don`t think I will have time to fit it all out before I go.??? will see
I have 6 20 watt sola panels which from memory are 24 volt. I bought a regulator to siut which cost as much as it would have been to buy a cheep 120 watt system. I have been playing with them and think i can fix 3 panels 60 watt   to my canopy on the boat this should give me extra charge when using the motor and also on the road traveling. not fitted yet still just fiddling with where to put it and how to do it
Cheers Kimo    
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
Hey Kimo,
Mate Weipa has some of the strangest tides. We dont have a consistent in/out 2 tides a day. Some times we get highs on highs and some days we get one long tide all day/night. That said, I’ve travelled to the territory (Daly) and the way that tide rips there, again, on occasions, is crazy. There are days it doesn’t run but there are days they get a tidal bore roar up the river. I havnt seen it so maybe I haven’t seen it flow as hard as it can. Around here, depending on what I’m doing I can make a 120 amp hr battery last a day or 2 or 3 if need be.
Another feature of AGM batteries is that they don’t discharge at the same rate as a traditional lead acid battery so they can handle sitting for a period of time. The website (fridge and solar) explains it well.
Dan
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:25pm
Thanks Guys
Kimo
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:23pm
Check out "GIANT" batteries - http://www.giantpower.com.au/batteries

I got my last 2 AGM batteries from them at under $300 each, but that was a special.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 2:40am
I don’t have an electric motor in my boat but go out heaps with a mate who has a water snake. Not even 18 months old and he’s onto his 3rd foot controller. All been under warranty but he’s pretty annoyed all the same. He reckons he wouldn’t get a water snake again.

I usually tie onto the mangroves at the bow and toss an anchor out the back and cast into snags or drains.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:42pm
Hi Danny
I notice you are at Weipa which is getting up pretty high, above Karumba
I am presuming you are fishing the rivers up that way and using your Minn Kota against the tidal rush that would be in that area.
If the Kota is handling that type of tidal flo then some of my fears are unsubstantial.
Not sure about the batteries are they the next step up from deep cycle?
What is their life expectancy if not being used a lot ?
Thanks Kimo
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:31pm
I also run my i pilot off AGM batteries. There are many advantages to running AGM batteries but the biggest is that they will take almost as much charge as you can throw at them, meaning they can charge up really quickly. Thats why they are the go to battery for 12v fridges ect. The down side is you dont get much change from $500
Dan
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm
Thanks Guys all sounds like good advice.
And a big wake up for me as When I was at KAB there were no really big tides, and all trolling was done with the main motor, bit expensive as the only fish being caught were at the mouth which was 45 ks away or out around the islands which was further and knowing the Chanel out and in was a definite.
Will prob pick some descent tides thus moon phases for the Daly and Karumba later in the year.
Both places I am expecting will have reasonable tidal flow and yer spot lock may be working hard with a big tidal pull
Probably better to anchor up in front of the creeks
Thanks guys the best advice comes from those with experience, may do the first trip and see if I really need it
Cheers Kimo
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
I bought a Watersnake and had continuous trouble with the foot remote. I probably would have kept it if it had a spot lock. But I sold it after 3 months for a third of the price I paid for it.

I love my Minn Kota with the spot lock and the auto pilot, I use these heavily when lure casting on the reef and in the rivers. It allows you to fully work over structure.

I run 2 x 130 amp hour batteries, but mine charge off my outboard and when I get home I trickle charge them with a solar panel. I've never run out of power.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
I love my minn kota. I said I didn't need one for years but yeah, I love having it now.
Spot locked casting for barra will see you catching barra you would never have caught before. As for the territory, yes Ive used them there for casting and spot locking but the tidal run will drain a battery very fast. You would need the battery capacity to see you through the day and then have the ability to charge those batteries overnight ready for the next day.
I have a friend down southern NSW who tells me they troll with their electrics all day in lakes fishing for trout, redfin and yellow belly so you may find use for it closer to home also.
Dan
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:06pm
I'm a big fan of electric motors for casting lures.
But in my (limited) experience fishing NT rivers for barra they don't seem to get a lot of use. That's obviously not my boat but guides and experienced locals.
Trolling is obviously done on main motor, and most of our casting was tied up to trees or such in range of a good looking drain /junction. I think the power needed to run spot lock and cast in a run off creek (for example) would probably empty a battery in an hour.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:09pm
Hi Can`t make up me mind IF I NEED IT, How much to SPEND, and the best way to go.
I would like to start to chase a few Barra. Had a fairly average leaning trip tp KAB last year and am thinking of MAYBEE the Daly this year.
I am no different to most fishermen and believe that I need every bell and whistle available in order to catch fish, but old enough to know that that is not always the case.
The Question at hand Electric Motors :
Are they necessary ? by way of making fishing a lot better/easier ?
I am looking at both Minn Kota & Water Snake Big cost difference and the Minn seems to have the GPS spot lock and all the bells & Ws The largest I have looked at is 54 LB thrust
I have just seen a 64 lb Water Snake advertised at Dinga at a make me smile price Being as tight as a fishes ass I am very happy with price
My age says be wary
Not sure how much use this will get as nowdays even the boat dose not get used much, hoping to change that this year all the grand kids at school.
Just looking for advise on motors as its all new to me
Thanks Kimo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic