LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kayak Fishing with Aussie Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayak Fishing with Aussie Lures
    Posted: 05 May 2019 at 12:54am

I have been doing a lot of fishing this year from my new kayak, a 2019 Hobie Outback. Fishing in two dams, North Pine Dam earlier in the year, from Forgon Cove and Boral Landing and more recently Wyaralong Dam. 

I have been an active member of LAFMA (Logan and Albert Fish Management Association) and the stocking we have done in the dam is starting to give awesome result As the dam is chock full of Carp and Tilapia, the bass are the fattest, hardest fighting fish I have battled with. In recent weeks I have upgraded my line to 15 lb braid and 20lb leader to get some advantage over them. Its very common to lose lures and fish out there every session you tackle. The Dam has just gone through a hot bite but now the Bass are on the move, its only a matter of time before they start to school up. Lots of fishing out there means I have finally scored my first Mary River Cod, as a by catch chasing Bass. MRC are a no target no take in the dam. I was trolling the smallest lure and caught it in heavy sunken timber. 

Anyway here is some of my catches, all on Aussie Lures, they are just too good. Menchos, Deep River, Zoomy, Viper, Southern Cross, Old Man River, Zoomy, Esoteric, Dave Woods, Sniper and my own One Cast Lures.

Caught on an Esoteric, a real fatty..

The Esoteric that caught the one above

Southern Cross Lures

One Cast Lures  Romtom

Esoteric Lure

Mencho Lure, an oldie, over 16 years old.

Mencho again, it nailed some Bass that day!!

Mencho again, it was my favorite lure until I lost it that day!!!

An old Moulded Viper in that great purple gets in on the action

A great lure, I wish they were readily available

Another old Mencho lure, this one has great vibration and is a real fish catcher.

A southern Cross Lure, this is the lure that caught me my first Mary River Cod, pictures below

Old Man River Lure, these are Made by Sean Brant in Sydney, a Kayak Fisher

David Wood Lure, one I bought on this forum, a Great lure that is unstoppable!!

David Wood Lure

I caught this on the Woods Lure..

Deep River Lures, Toe Biter.

Toe biter nails a large NPD Bass

Old Man River Lure gets a NPD Bass

One Cast Lures, Romtom, NPD Bass

Sniper Lure, Sour Grape, made by Adam Falkenberg in South Australia

Zoom Lures, made by Jeremy Menchin.

One Cast Lures, Tazer 

Sel 

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:58am
They are all fat fish in great condition. Reminded me of Moogerah back in the day. Thanks for showing.
PS: The purple Viper is one of my favourite bass lures too.
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 9:26am
You have been busy Sel, some great healthy looking fish!
How do you like the new 2019 Outback?
I have just bought a 2015 PA 12 with a new 180 drive and Lowance Elite 9 ti,
local Dams around Toowoomba are still closed with blue green algae problems,
keen to try it out, might head to Leslie Dam tomorrow, it will be busy there though!
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by HARTE HARTE wrote:

How do you like the new 2019 Outback?

Had all the Hobies, last one was a PA14, too big, went in to buy a Revolution 13, walked out with an Outback 2019.. Best kayak I have ever owned,, A real fish magnet..It has everything in the right place, built for fishing and comfort.  Sold my boat this year so I just bought a Torqeedo motor for it, an Ultralight 403AC, comes with a huge Lithium Battery, it will give me a range of 100km at 4kph.

I have recently started a Facebook Group, Wyaralong Dam Fishing, a couple of guys are coming down from Toowoomba because of all your dams being closed and they are having some fun...check out the group if you're keen...

Sel

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:36pm
Nice fish Sel, well done. Wyaralong Dam would have been myclosest dam if I stayed in Brisbane.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 6:52pm

I guess they had to do something with the dam. Millions of tax payers money poured into that hole in the ground for no real benefit...……… Do you know if they take surface lures like Maroon?

Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Chep Buxley Chep Buxley wrote:

I guess they had to do something with the dam. Millions of tax payers money poured into that hole in the ground for no real benefit...……… Do you know if they take surface lures like Maroon?

Huh?  

The dam is part of the water grid, there is World Class Mountain bike tracks around the dam, Horse and walking trails and Rowing Qld has a Rowing course on the dam and have plans to turn it into a international rowing venue. LAFMA who stock the Albert and Logan river systems has the license to stock the dam with Mary River Cod and Bass. so far 45000 MRC 90000 Bass.

Surface bite, could well be, most people target bass with diving lures, vibs and plastics. There is a large Fly Fishing presence with carp being the target on fly.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:55am
My apologies Sel for writing that. Hope I haven't ruined your great fishing report. Look forward to reading some more in the future. Shane
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:54pm
No more on the internet with Onecast lures? Not at the 2019 Lure Expo too or is that you Halfcast Custom Lures? Nice catch of BassWink

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

No more on the internet with Onecast lures? Not at the 2019 Lure Expo too

Dave 

I don't make lures any more for a business, there are more important things in my life at the moment such as Family and fishing. 

I did the Expo, something to tick off my list, maybe down the track when I get some quality time.. just haven't got time to spare when you have sick parents and no one else in your family wants to care for them. 

Fishing takes the stress away, I don't collect lures anymore as I would rather fish them, that's what they are made for. 

I have been toying with moulding lures thanks to some help from MR Fugly... work in progress..when I nail the process I will sell a few again.

Cheers 
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:35pm
Here is a beautiful Mary River Cod I caught yesterday on a Thump lure, made by Wes Watson,son of Eddy Watson from Cedar lures fame.

Cheers
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:23pm
Great fish and in great condition - probably from eating all those tilapia. Well done SelClap nice
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:45pm
Beautiful fish Sel, in excellent condition, well done! Clap
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:31am
thats a chunky Cod mate well done!
that's no how ye make porridge!
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:30pm
Great stuff Sel - good to see lures catching fish

MXB
rhino.0407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhino.0407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 5:35pm
Hi Nativeman What fish can you catch in Wyaralong dam and do you need a permit and can you use electric motors on the dam? thanks for your time.cheers pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic