LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krewfische

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 3:19pm
Brilliant hand carved crawfish imitation

Love your work

MXB
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:18pm
Brilliant work, they look sensational! Clap
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Ducks Ducks wrote:

If neither of you guys want it...............

BUT BUT BUT .... it's not a Duck lureWink
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:26pm
Ducks eat crayfish... Maybe? Duck billed platypus do anyway, if I'm stretched to justify it...
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 10:40pm
ha ha ha Ducks
Martin-

ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:55am
Long week, just put the final coat on the others. These guys are ready for a test run tomorrow if the weather permits. Rivers are high and muddy from all the rainstorms so we shall see.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:40pm
WOW, They look greatClap. Keep us posted on how they swim.
Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:38pm
Think I'm going to leave it a mystery until the owners voice their opinion, I'll await their verdict impatiently....

wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:07am
Looking awesome!love the eyes
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:25pm
Nice work Charles, love those natural colours you're getting.
PeteThumbs Up
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:18pm
Fantastic CharlesThumbs Up
Life is fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:31pm
Going to bite the bullet and get a turner, static hanging is time consuming and a huge headache. The weather has been quite hot and humid, the products used to seal/topcoat also are taking longer to set up because of this.

Like others on here the fish eyes from epoxy were too much of pain to deal with. Even so the effort to carve in depth and details was drowned out by the thick finish. So I went back to something more reliable, that would flex with the wood in the changing temperatures. Have to give the epoxy another go once I pick up a turner.

Also need to come up with a better tow point system. The current method of peening over the twisted wire is hit and miss. The loop or ring can get damaged far too easily even though its clamped securely in the vice. Steady hands are necessary when adding a drop of epoxy for security. I will put up some photos to better illustrate.

For the best action the tow point is held close to the body, no room for the self tuning omega clips. As for the towpoint in the body it hasn't produced the same action with a high level of consistency.

Back to the drawing board again.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:41am
Took the remaining five Mahogany/Cedar lures out for their test swim, quite disappointing. Not sure what others definition of "Hunting Action" is, but mine is as follows; a lure that tracks straight and blows out in a wide zig zag pattern before returning to center.

These have an erratic wobble small zig zag and tend to lean on one side. At a regular pace these seem to swim straight, but it doesn't take much for them to shift about. Some may consider these hunters, or great lures I just don't know?

Tuning them was tricky, they are hyper sensitive to the slightest bend and roll on theirs sides. Think the lead ball/rattle may be sitting too high off center? Never encountered this before, and not sure what to make of it????

I took some lures down to a pro tournament angler a while back, he didn't have much input. Evidently he only throws lucky craft and similar brands. The only suggestion he gave was to add a large hook on the belly; this keeps the center of gravity and raises the hook up ratio.

For my tastes I only need one treble off the back. Can't think of a single landed fish that was hooked on the belly treble. Generally it gets in the way, and has a tendency to permanently blind the fish so I'm not a fan.

A bit reserved on sending these out so Chris, Danny, Zac, please gimme a shout and let me know as I can always tuck a few in that do run true.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 11:28pm
Keep up the good work Charles. Yes, I know of the hunting you refer to. It can be very frustrating and time consuming getting them to do what you want them to do.
Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:18am
Thank you all for the kind words

These are finally finished and ready to catch some fish or collect dust in a display case.

I took the last couple down for testing today. A handful of fisherman came over and watched these swim. Evidently I'm a wee bit off my rocker for thinking these don't have a great action, or its a fishing conspiracy and the anglers are trying to fool me?....If I build them the fish will come

Anyways I cannot wait to see the pictures of the fish these catch.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 12:49pm
they look good Charles i'd eat those myselfBig smileThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:02pm
They look sensational! ClapThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:59pm
Been a few shades of lazy, but I am working on a new batch of Krewfische. Still in the early stages, a long way to go still so stay tuned.

wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:59am
You're back making them again!! Put me down for a couple! Big smile
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 8:35am
how much in aust/usa dollars are these, would like two laminated ones if possible. thanks. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:32am
very nice charles
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 11:18am
Great little lures and good fish catchers too👍
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:40pm
Very goodly Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:16am
Ducks - a cursory google search gave this for your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAwn4oZrYA8
According to this video, ducks eat crawfish, but this site contradicts that information
https://www.answers.com/Q/Do_ducks_eat_crawfish
Hmmm, maybe I'll give yours to Martin seeing as they are not part of your diet.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:19am
Only one way to find out for sure - put one in front of meLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:48am
A bit further, got these carved and rough sanded. Think these will be suited for the Australian indigenes. Detail carving soon to come....

Ollie bibbed prototype, and a few others I tested earlier. Very pleased with the performance.

No worries wicky, yours are in the lot...along with that avaricious mallard, and that immortal Viking known as the "tin ram."

As for any laminates, too soon to say, already hitting a wall of frustration. The bandsaw has a mind of its own at the moment, been giving me loads of trouble resawing blanks. I've got so many ruddy steps to making these that it becomes a chore. When something goes awry, I have to step away, clear my head for a bit. Perhaps I need to work out a smoother system?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:45am
Figured I would add this

The process to making a Krewfische as I mentioned is a headache. After cutting the blank side profile I mark out the center line to begin drilling. Truly a tedious process drilling out the pincers and hook hangers; bits tend to wander do to hard spots in the wood. Doesn’t help that not all the wood is planed the same so I can’t set the drill press up for mass production. Not sure if this is a problem that other lure makers run into?
This becomes a nightmare with laminates as there will be high and low spots from the epoxy. Using the marking gauge jig, which can be found on another post, this becomes noticeable immediately. If wood is square you can mark it, flip it over, and the center line remains constant. If not, I have to fastidiously reposition the vice on the drill press which is fastened down with a few bolts. After all the blanks are drilled they are fitted with a top template and ready for resawing on the bandsaw. Once the blanks are 3d they meet a sanding drum and the disk sander to clean up saw marks and keep symmetry.
I use a template to mark out the hook design of the carapace/pincer side then score this line for carving. The head is notched out and the hook is carved out. Finally carving lines can be added to round out the blank. At this point I sand the bevel on the pincers and begin rounding the lure. Sanding sums up this process and the cray begins to take shape. FINALLY this bugger can receive some segment lines for detail carving. Once all is said in done a bit of fine sanding takes place and they can take a bath in Val spar urethane. Skipped over the instillation of hook hangers and the time consuming process in making them.
My hats off to the fellas who do this for a living or avocation, the unsung aspects to create fish food is mind-bending. Doesn't help you guys make this look so easy.
For the blokes out there who complain over the fetching price of a handcrafted lure, they have no idea. We all know the stereotype, chafes me each time I meet one.
There are certain aspects in the grand scheme that I, and many others, assumedly, would prefer to trade or delegate. I can only speak for myself, and presume from personal hurdles, that our strengths and weaknesses are contrasting, not asymptote as one expects or desires; If it were possible to just carve, sand, and detail a lure, leaving the painting/clearcoating to another, I certainly would in a heartbeat!

Granted, this comes from confidence and exposure to said task. Personally, I lack a concrete knowledge and adroitness I need. Having acknowledged this there is room to grow. The weakness or handicap can be forged into a strength, or at the least an insouciant task. Having said all this I dread finishing these lures, haha.

Cheers

edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:21am
Just read this, you certainly have a way with words. Charles hang in there mate, I have confidence in you can finish these to your satisfaction, all the best can’t wait to see them👍👍

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:32am
Thanks Ollie, lets hope so. Got a few of these roughly detailed. Long ways to go till the rest are at this stage. Once all the other blanks are finished I can work on some newer projects and add to the ever growing pile. Won't post till I'm finished banging out these so chew on this picture till then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:56am
Between a rock and a hard place. Waiting on materials to ship, and might be going back to work. Got to finish what I can in the time being and some want to their lures. The majority are roughly detailed and sanded, not sure if defining the side segments is worth carving out? Once the sealer and finish coat is applied the details and depth wash out dramatically. The general shape is retained, albeit very blunt. Been adding more depth, can only carve so much till these lose performance and shape. Going to seal finish these with epoxy as I purchased a spinner among other things. Trying to provide a higher quality lure with each batch I make.

Ducks you best be happy your finally getting your spotted Krewfische. I did my best to find knots that would show up after carving. Sorry mate as they aren't all yours, leave some for others like the Tin Ram. Don't want to wake up to an angry kilt wearing Martin wielding a katana "Where's my lures laddie!". Figure I will give the two of you the lures that I'm refurbishing to sweeten the pot. Was hoping to use em meself

Mick, got a few laminates with a rattle, missing a few parts like bibs and eyes but they are practically done. Won't take much to finish these, let me know if they fit the bill?

Ollie, sending you this bugger for QC once it's finished. Plans are delayed, but there will be a surprise or two.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:16pm
Looking good.
But what's this about not being all for me? Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:18pm
Well Ducks in Kindergarten some of us learned to share, a relatively simple concept of equally partitioning things like lures. You know, Chris gets some, Wicky, Ollie, Tin Ram, Rodsncods, you, et cetera. If your a greedy duckling the goatfairy eats your lures.

why is there no goat icon? I'll have to ask Tony to adda goat emoji.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:39pm
"sharing" hey?
That'll never catch on LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:07pm
Guess I had the flash on, these pictures should be clearer. Sorry about that, hope you can see a difference?

Been up sanding these Mahogony blanks, detailing next. Absolutely love this wood, smells like Cuban tobacco, carves extremely well, and in my opinion swims better. A shame this stuff is so expensive.

Awaiting a micro detail sander,finally I can reach those nooks and crannies. Recently picked up a Ryobi Detail sander, makes rounding lures off much faster. No more sanding block for me!

Ducks- you worry me, that lure sickness of yours might get outta hand one day. There may be an intervention and you'll have to check into lureloversanonymous.
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:59pm
kaboom        any spares i would be interested in  very much they are brilliant i don't buy many lures now days but some you have to have   cheers keep smiling  
brendan t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic