LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

eBay UV Resin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limber-timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eBay UV Resin
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:05pm
So after my epoxy dramas and the humidity still been a bugger up here I thought I would try some of this UV Resin.

I’m sure most of you have seen the Alumi-UV video.
After reading up on the Alumi product and seeing it takes 3 months to get to Aus and then only has a 12 month shelf life I thought I would try a Chinese brand as a tester that was half the price.

The “Engineered Angler” put a comparison video on YouTube and said he couldn’t tell the difference between the two once set.
So why spend twice as much money on something you don’t need to...

Anyway I was able to play with it lastnight and get a top coat on a few Lures.

First impressions are Great!
I was thinking it would be much more temperamental than what it was.

Starting off I did one coat on a lure with the resin at room temperature and it seemed to go on nice and spread around with ease.
Brush strokes would disappear almost instantly and it would fill in an even coat over the lure.
I allowed the lure to spin on my drying rack for 5-10 minutes and come check to see what the resin had done.
Did not move at all and stayed as it was when I left.
It does get air bubbles in it but not nearly as much as Epoxy, they can just be removed the same way.
Once I was happy with it I turned on the 3 x 9$ eBay UV torches I bought and propped them in front of the lure as it spun.
Once the lights hit each surface the outside of the resin set enough you could pull it off the rack and hand it if you wanted.

The second test I did was with placing the resin in a cup of hot water and letting it sit in there for 15 minutes before applying.
I then followed the same procedure.

Personally I thought the hot coat was better than the room temperature.
It seems the thinner coats don’t shrink or create air bubbles while curing compared to the thicker cooler coats.

The resin does not fill in as well as epoxy does over a previous coat (that was tried by sanding back a failed epoxy coat from 80grit - 800grit)
It seems to leave a satin finish below the surface.

The gloss finish on the UV Resin is as good if not better than any epoxy I have used.

One recommendation is if your going to give this ago and you are trying to set with UV lights at night in an area with a few insects maybe try creating a sealed curing box.
These little bugs LOVE the UV Lights.

From my short experience I would say that 30 seconds of UV torches followed by 20-30 minutes each side in the sun is all that’s required for a rock
hard finish with this product.
The Torches I have are 3W 395nm LED UV from eBay
The supplier does not give a recommended Wavelength for your UV lights.
Will be looking at other lights and seeing what seems to be better for it.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:46pm
Top report and I'm sure you have caused a few lure makers to have a think about it.

You lures and paint schemes look great BTWThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Limber-timber View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limber-timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:12pm
Thanks mate
Was fence sitting on it for a while!
Now just for these Tradewinds to stop and I can get out and throw a few over the reef.
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:26am
Very interesting read mate. How many coats did you put on?
Limber-timber View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limber-timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Barndog Barndog wrote:

Very interesting read mate. How many coats did you put on?

Just the one coat so far.
I did a test run over the sanded back resin today. It adheres to the old resin as epoxy does in the same instance.

I just gave it a quick coat this morning (it was just on first light) before heading to work.
The coat only had 5 minutes of turning with the UV light before getting hung up to cure more whilst I was away.
Only getting 270 degrees as most of UV curing during the day it has caused a hairline blemish in the final product.
I blame that on the limited exposure to UV and the resin slightly shrinking whilst curing.

I did happen to drop one of the tests from head high this afternoon that was still tacky on one surface. There were no scratches or blemishes from this.
Pretty happy with that.

Have just ordered a 900mm UV light bar that is 240v supplied so this should allow me to keep it rotating and curing.

https://djcity.com.au/product/ave-ledbar-uv18-3w-uv-light/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjOmynLGT4wIV0jUrCh1DjAXiEAQYAyABEgKWUfD_BwE

Will keep updating this with further progress
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:41pm
I am dabbling in making camphor cutting boards and bread boards and have just started to use this exact resin to fill imperfections and minor cracks.

$26 for 200ml is well worth the coin IMO... just be careful that you use out of direct sunlight as the container may cure off.....

30 minutes in the direct sun and I can machine sand off with 40 grit ..

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:00pm
Looks good Wadey,
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:15pm
I have used this stuff too. So far, I'm really impressed! I have found that a second coat goes on better if you give the first coat a wipe with some metho or isopropyl alcohol after it has cured. If you don't, you sometimes get that dimpling effect or "orange peel".

I cure mine in the sunlight. About 30 mins (still use the rotisserie) in the Queensland sun will get it cured enough to handle. I do have a UV light, but I think it is not at the optimum wavelength. My research has found that the best wavelength for this stuff is about 365nM. The ladies fingernail UV curing lights are the best apparently. You can remove the bulbs and mount them to whatever contraption you have for curing your lures. Must get some...
hobiepaulo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobiepaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 7:39pm
Yes this stuff is great. I use it for coating lures and a host of other applications including pouring my own bibs in a silicon mold.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 3:40pm
Limber timber

if it helps I use an old refrigerator with my drying rottiserie placed inside.
once closed...its sealed.
no bugs...no dust.
Nicho
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic