LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > 3D Printed Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anything new?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anything new?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:15pm
There were a few discussions on 3D printing lures by some members. Anything new fellas? I’m interested in seeing any progress as I’m sure it’s going to take off once the teething problems are sorted and newer technologies come into play
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:19pm
Hi Martin,

I have been doing a bit of timber to STL formatting for a few lure makers, where they send me a timber lure and I copy it into a file format that can then be used on 3D printers or electronic copy lathes.

Cant fault my FT70 flow through lure, catching fish on it most trips - gotta get something right every now and again.

I think most people are hesitant to dive in and have a go mainly because at first glance all the designing software can be quite daunting, as can ensuring you select the right printer for your needs and not getting ripped off.

If you select the right printer ( $700 - $1200 ) range, and use the correct slicing software which is just as important as the printer itself, your well on your way and there are hundreds of how to tutorials on you tube these days.

Happy to answer anyone's questions anytime.

Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:51pm
Thanks for the reply Steve.

That FT70 lure is great thinking and innovative. Great that it is proving itself, and yourself successful.

I can well understand people being hesitant with the computer side of it all. Unless it's your specialty field, and computers are not mine, then it's all foreign to me. But the IT guy at my previous employment was tinkering with a 3D scanner for his home made printer. As he now has another job, he hasn't progressed any further.

How soon would it be to put an object into a 3D scanner, push a button, it scans all the details on a file to print? Or is that still a long way off?

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 9:07pm
The scanning technology is available to get a good reproduction, however it is extremely expensive for accurate results.

I use software that works on me taking between 100 to 200 photos of an object at a set focal length with about 70% overlap per image. When done correctly the finished result will even show the timber grain and can be resized to be 100% accurate when compared to the original timber master copy.

Went down to local river for 15 mins tonight and scored a nice little 50cm cod on the FT70 - stoked to finally have a lure design that the fish like.

Funnily enough I have only caught cod on the gold with black stripes, and the yellas on a black lure with red stripes. So often if been using the gold at a snag for no joy, then switch to a black and cast into same snag and produce a yella - Fish are weird.

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic