LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to my paint!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to my paint!
    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 1:34pm
Hi everyone
I put some auto clear coat on a batch if lures just now and as it cured it has cracked. Only happened badly on the lure pictured, and slightly (barely noticeable) on a couple of others.
Is it an issue with my paint? Or undercoat?
The one that was most affected (pictured) had been sitting around for over a month waiting for clear - could this have contributed?
Thanks in advance, any ideas???
Cheers
Dan
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 1:35pm
Forgot to mention - it only happened on the under side of this lure, the top is fine.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm
cant really help Dan, looks as if the Clear did not like the belly paint. Fluro is it?? Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
Yes it is fluro orange Richard. I do have the same paint on the belly if another lure that got the same clear coat today and didn't have an issue. I'm still at a loss...
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 6:36pm
Dan have you used this paint before? How did you do the clear coat?
 Too heavy with clear can do this Dan.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 6:59pm
Hi Dave, I have used this paint before and used etex as the clear - no dramas.

I sprayed the clear on today and I reckon it probably was too heavy on the first coat. Still trying to get the hang of spraying the auto clear coats! The rest of them I did today have come up a treat, will just have to be mindful of that first coat and making sure it's just a light one I think.
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:59pm
Is it an acrylic or enamel paint. I presume it is an acrylic auto clear? Can get poor reactions between enamel and clear paints/clears
34 South
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm
Painting Rule Number 1!!!!!!!! never spray Acrylic Paint over Enamel PaintShocked

Cheers Samurai
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:38pm
All paints and clear used were acrylic.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Barndog Barndog wrote:

Hi Dave, I have used this paint before and used etex as the clear - no dramas.

I sprayed the clear on today and I reckon it probably was too heavy on the first coat. Still trying to get the hang of spraying the auto clear coats! The rest of them I did today have come up a treat, will just have to be mindful of that first coat and making sure it's just a light one I think.

I'am glad we sorted that one out DanWink Just keep the clear coats lighterWink 

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:35am
i had same prob when putting clear on too thick first up,that first super light coat with around  5 minutes dry time seems to seal everything in without reaction . 
it a lot better world if you just smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic