LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krewfische Cage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Krewfische Cage
    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:07pm
I hate giving up secrets, albeit the best one's deserve critique to get merit. Lurelovers is the bedrock for all my lure making chops, and I'm a stickler for paying it forward so here ya go.

I thought I would offer up a tip that may help a few of you pining for consistency in marking out symmetrical details. My mind tends to wander like Pete...guess I like making jigs and contraptions more than lures?

The paper template route wasn't cutting it, nor was the eyeball method of drawing the detail carving lines so a sit and a tink in the old arm chair was needed. This is was I came up with on the spot

Taking 1/4" scrap and taping them together with double adhesive tape allows me to drill both side symmetrically spaced and give a center line when layed side by side. The wire was bent around a 3/4" drill bit for a arch shape. Finally assembled with a bit of epoxy of superglue.

If your doing a bunch of lures that are consistent in size this works great. Not a big fan of using the Dremel,gave it a shot and the results weren't bad. Still using the trusty utility knife for all my carving needs.

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
Clever very CLEVER ClapClapClapClap
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:13pm
Great idea, thanks for sharing.
All my braids gone!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:30am
briliant jig i love it 
it a lot better world if you just smile
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 9:55am
Meant to post this photograph instead as this is the actual jig I use. The first was a mockup that faired better than anticipated. Added a small bolt with a couple washers helps secure the blank so it won't wander. Nothing special its crude yet functional and that's what counts. A bent coat hanger and some scrap wood is really all that's needed. The amount of headaches and frustrations lifted is well worth the effort. Hope it helps?

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 6:14pm
Very very cleverClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:45pm
Nice one Charles, sometimes jigs may take 1/2 a day to make but at the other end uniformity and heaps of time is saved --great and simple idea.Thumbs Up
Pete
Hey Charles your P.M inbox is full  (500 messages) LOLStern Smile
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Nice one Charles, sometimes jigs may take 1/2 a day to make but at the other end uniformity and heaps of time is saved --great and simple idea.Thumbs Up
Pete
Hey Charles your P.M inbox is full  (500 messages) LOLStern Smile
second that!,thats a great jig Charles thanks for sharing ,i have an idea myself if i get time i'll knock one up for you.By the way 3 of your crays are bleeding all over my bench at the momentWinkLOL
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic