LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a wormery?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyspringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a wormery?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:27pm
anyone here make/own a wormery? Seems easy enough to make one?
Then buy 1k of lob worms then let them stay in the shed until a time that i need them plus save me some money on bait? Plus make some compost for the garden.

Once you added worms did they breed when they were in there?
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 11:21am
I had a worm farm last year with the same intentions as you but they didn't survive the summer. It can get to 45°C (113°F) here.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:10pm
I had a worm farm in an old bath tub. I covered it with hessian bags and wet it moist. If too much water gets in then they drowned so I had to leave the plug hole clear for drainage. In saying that if the worms didn’t like the conditions, they escaped through the plug hole. It surprising how quickly they bred and how big my worms got.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:44pm
i had a worm farm for years, dug a 6ft x6ft x2ft hole. lined it with 90pc shade-cloth, started with some good soil from the garden nursery. got  some worms (african night crawlers) from the mill mud overburden piles from rocky point sugar mill. some of these were huge, thick as a smoke and six inches long. kitchen scraps (not onion or citrus peel), grass clippings and any garden waste spread over the top whenever available. i did have it covered with thick cardboard, hosed it once or twice a week in summer. had more than enough worms. lasted for five or six years, untill i lost interest in bait fishing and took up lures. there are worm farms you can buy, but i think they are more compost type worms. . . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic