LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BUSHY LURES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUSHY LURES
    Posted: 30 Nov 2023 at 5:41pm
A few more of Bushy's lures to add to the record.

colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:56pm
Bushy has now added a smaller Barra Lure to his range of models. We can thank Dean Butler(a fishing mate of Bushy's) for this new version as it was his persistent requests that Bushy do a slightly smaller model which eventually resulted in it's development. The new "Deno" lures have a body length of 105mm and are painted with the same four eye-catching colour schemes as used for the original "Holy Grail" lures. The photo below shows the size comparison.

Regards,
Col

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:48am
It's a real shame the stiffy range went out of production.
A few of the models were just "on trend" so were competing with a million similar options (ie. The bream popper) and probably didn't get pushed hard enough. The quality was up there and they were priced at basically 2 for 1 vs popular options.
But the bony bream was really something. 
Nobody had glide/swim baits on the shelves. And the bony confused a lot of people. But people who knew, really knew. And a small number of people caught a very large number of fish on them.
Just as they started to catch on, the range was out of production. 
Now everyone wants a glide bait, and buys a custom rod to throw it! 
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 7:36am
Well, it's been a week and judging by the deafening silence I can assume that either nobody has a clue as to what the H.G. on Bushy's Barra lures stands for, or that nobody cares. So, to answer my own question and for the sake of the record, I will disclose that the H.G. stands for HOLY GRAIL. This name arose when one frustrated angler complained to Bushy that it would be easier to locate the Holy Grail than to get hold of one of these lures.

But, unlike the "real" Holy Grail I can let you in on another little secret that a set of these Barra lures, as well as a couple of Bushy's Baby Boney lures, are currently available for sale on Ebay. At this stage the only bid that I could see was from some punter called Indiana J.

Good luck,
Col

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 7:50am
Originally posted by colsel colsel wrote:

Hi Mick,
When you say that "you think that you have one", I trust that you're referring to one of the lures . I tend to get the same reaction myself when I look at Bushy's spectacular lures.

Below are some photos of a couple of Bushy's Bass lures that I meant to add in as well yesterday, but forgot about. I'll throw them in now for good luck!

Have a good one,
Col

at my age I wish I had one . . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:27am
Hi Mick,
When you say that "you think that you have one", I trust that you're referring to one of the lures . I tend to get the same reaction myself when I look at Bushy's spectacular lures.

Below are some photos of a couple of Bushy's Bass lures that I meant to add in as well yesterday, but forgot about. I'll throw them in now for good luck!

Have a good one,
Col

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 6:07pm
these baby boneys are along the same lines as the old STIFFY which was a great barra lure .bushy   had something to do with them too , I think. I have one. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm
Recently, Bushy has been working on developing a new version of his much touted "Bony Bream" lures. The original version was specifically designed with extra large Barramundi in mind and built up a cult-like following due to their phenomenal success in this regard. This time around Bushy has made the lures slightly smaller(115mm) in an attempt to make them a more versatile option capable of targeting multiple species. Bushy only ever produces small runs of his lures and judging by the prices achieved for the couple that he auctioned off last week there will be stiff competition if you would like to secure a "Baby Boney".

Next, here are a couple of additional Bushy related photos that I came across since my last post and thought worthy of adding to this record.

Finally, did you happen to notice the abbreviated model name "H.G." on the set of Barra Lures that Bushy sold recently? There is quite a good story as to how these lures got their name and I was wondering if anyone would be interested to Hazard a Guess as to what these initials might stand for.

Regards,
Col

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:46pm
I know Bushy well. He lives in Pambula, where I used to live. Been fishing with him a couple of times and that's a real education.  I've given him some of my lures, over the years.

I've caught a few Bonito on his saltwater flies, but never been freshwater fishing with him.

The man is a true fishing legend.

Beer

Travers
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:54pm
Nice looking lures .
Life is fishing!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:42am
What a legend Bushy is and his lures look awesome! 

Thank you for sharing with us Col, love em ClapCool
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 11:39pm
For anyone interested in acquiring some of Bushy's lures I note that a pair of his hand carved "Boney Bream" were listed for auction on Ebay earlier tonight. These Barra lures have a length of 115mm.
Regards,
Col

wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 8:16am
Awesome pics! Didn't know Bushy made lures.
 Some cracking lures that's for sure.
Lucinda Collector!
All ways on the hunt for more.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 7:30am
I was watching Bushy and Rex hunt on the tv in the 90´ties 
Remember he used a little rod. Think he called it "the black death"
Sure some great Lures he is making today Smile
Have a great day 
         Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:57pm
True Aussie's eh? Couldn't tell, man that is a great blend of classic and contemporary. Heck I would have wagered these had a touch of Finnish in em. Gorgeous, simple, and extremely aesthetic. 

Well you guys once again dominate the handmade lure field yet again, no surprise. I was going to say is there nothing an Aussie can't do? Suddenly remember an old post on here about Darwin awards, not a single Australian denizen on the list...So, yes! there is and it's a ruddy good thing to be proud of!

Col, I may second that if you are ever down for a trade these really caught my eye,
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 1:21pm
Col, always liked Bushy when he was on Rex Hunt's show, of the three he seemed the most genuine.
Would like to add just one of his timbers to my Aussie Timber Wall, if you know where to acquire I'd appreciate a contact. Any model will suit, love the knife, that's seen plenty of use.
Regards, Seaweed (Thanks for showing these, exceptional.)
"Always Merry and Bright"
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 5:55am
As mentioned, there are very few details out there relating to Bushy's lures but I can confirm that they are 100% dinky-di Aussie, from the South Coast of NSW.

Regards,
Col
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 7:11pm
These are great looking, bugger really knows his craft. The photos with the backdrop are perfect. Are these Aussie or USA? honestly hard to tell look like a genuine blend of both.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 5:53pm
Following on from my recent good fortune of locating a few of Bushy's lures I have been trying to seek out any additional details that I could find, but have discovered that there seems to be very little information documented anywhere. With that in mind I searched the internet and social media sites and came up with the following selection of photos to begin to piece together the odd snippets that I did discover. It would be good to see what others could add to this starting point.

Regards,
Col

colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:02pm
Recently I had the good fortune to be able to add a few Bushy Lures to my collection. These lures are individually hand carved in very limited numbers by Kaj (Bushy) Busch. Bushy's near legendary reputation as a gun angler means that these lures come with a pedigree for fish catching ability that would be hard to match anywhere in Australia.

The Trout lures range in length from 52mm to 70mm and were first made in Jan 2009.

The Barra lures have a body length of 130mm and to date have been produced using four spectacular paint schemes.

My goal now is to try to locate a few of Bushy's other desirable models that are lurking out there.

Regards,
Col

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic