LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Is this Fishing Lure authentic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Newell lures?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Newell lures?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:10pm
Hello all
Scott here from Warwick in QLD.
I just came across a few lures that were sold as a lot in a tackle box. The old fella simply needed to down size as they were moving. Anyways I've used and liked the Tenterfield Darts before and I thought this box of lures would be worth buying to use.
When I got home I did a bit of research and it seems as though Peter Newell lures are sort after and I also see where the Kaditcha, which is the spelling on both lures, is forged. So I thought I'd better find out to see if these lures are the real deal. I have no reason to think they're not as the old fella has had them for years and he did not gain a thing when the price he sold the box full is considered.
So, are these couple of lures real or not?
In the box was also what I believe to be some M1 and M2 Callops that seem to have never been wet, but I thought I'd get these out of the way first.

Cheers Scott

murraycod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm
I don't think there are any worries with those lures.
I have seen 3 different spellings of Kadaitcha on what would seem to be genuine Newells plus 1 or 2 more on probable forgeries.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:46pm
Old lures with the elongated split rings that Peter used long ago. I hav no hesitation in calling them Newells , great pick up.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:20pm
Hello all
Thanks for the information fellas. 
After reading about Newell lures and their popularity for collectors in the Peter Newell forum here I don't think I would be game to use these lures. After the last decade of drought we've been through I'm afraid they'll be put on the market. We're at the stage where some of our other prized fishing gear was going to have to go on the market. It was going to be a hard decision to part with gear with great sentimental value so I think it best to rid of these lures as they do not mean that much to us. Option A was selling a Lenny Butterworth Tonkin cane rod with number 15 on it that a dear old mate bought new in 1954 (has never seen water) and gave to me in 1997, or sell these lures which are now option B. Option B is going to be the winner thank goodness.

I'll take pictures of what I think may be Callops tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks
Scott
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
Hello all
Back again with pictures of what I think are Callops, but I cannot be sure.
None of these lures are signed. Are they Callops?

Cheers Scott

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:09pm
The old fella was pretty shattered when he found out what those lures were actually worth .... maybe you could throw a few extra bucks his way when you clean up on them shortly.
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:22am
Originally posted by micknq micknq wrote:

The old fella was pretty shattered when he found out what those lures were actually worth ....
Hello Mick.
So, they appear to be honest Newell lures?
I have no idea on their value either. I bought them so I could get go fishing. That's why I bought all his lures, not pick and choose.

Cheers Scott
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:28am
Are you the Scott Fisher from Warwick that put an Aussie 200 up for offers on one of the Facebook pages a while back ? Because I reckon that Scott Fisher from Warwick would have a pretty fair idea about what he was buying from an old man for $1 each .
Danny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:06am
Sorry Scott,
You’ve shot yourself in the foot brother. 
To be able to identify that an unnamed lure is a Callop and an M1 or M2 at that and recognising some mismatching of the spelling of the Kadaitcha  suggests to me your not as dumb as you sound. 

Dan
Dan
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by micknq micknq wrote:

Are you the Scott Fisher from Warwick that put an Aussie 200 up for offers on one of the Facebook pages a while back ? Because I reckon that Scott Fisher from Warwick would have a pretty fair idea about what he was buying from an old man for $1 each .

Hello all
Ring and find out. You might get a surprise when it's NOT ME that answers the phone. 
It seems reasonable to assume that there's only 1 Scott that lives in Warwick. 
It's also reasonable to assume that there's only one Scott that lives in Warwick who likes to fish. Very reasonable.
The funny thing is, there's 2 Scott's with that surname in the district that I know of. 1 is a retired electrician, the other is also an electrician. I think there's another Scott with the same surname in the district who does odd jobs around people's homes and small renovations.
It sounds like your the bloke who rang and said the 2 signed lures were worth $150 and had no interest what-so-ever in any of the other lures. Probably only because you could not see the Callops.
What is an Aussie 200? 
So how much would you have paid for all these Peter Newell lures Mick? I might just sell them to you for that price.

Originally posted by Danny Danny wrote:

Sorry Scott,
You’ve shot yourself in the foot brother. 
To be able to identify that an unnamed lure is a Callop and an M1 or M2 at that and recognising some mismatching of the spelling of the Kadaitcha  suggests to me your not as dumb as you sound. 
Dan

Another keyboard hero. Who said I was dumb. It took a whole 1/4 hour (more like 5-10 minutes) to Google Newell lures when I got home and come up with this forum, which so happens to have a fantastic Peter Newell page which gives descriptions of his lures plus other great information specific to Newell lures such as the miss spelling. As it happens PICTURES OF THE CALLOPS are before the Kaditchas so to find out information about Newell lures is not so hard. If you haven't found it yet try this link.  http://www.lurelovers.com/Forum/brollys-newell-collection_topic3286. - http://www.lurelovers.com/Forum/brollys-newell-collection_topic3286.html
I was after conformation for the Callops as I did not know if they were actually Callops or not because they were not signed and I assumed (incorrectly it seems) that all Newell lures were signed.

And you must be the person who wanted old mate who sold the lures to give you my phone number when you found out the whole box of lures was sold. 

So how much would you have paid for all these Peter Newell lures Dan? I might just sell them to you for that price. 

I also bought a box of brass screws for 50c, a heap of nails and screws and bolts for $40, a Steelite reel for $10 and two screw guns for $10 each off old mate if anyone wants to have go at me about that.
I also bought an all original 1978 HZ Kingswood Vacationer II station wagon with papers in 1997 for $1,100 if anyone has an objection. It's still in the shed.

Cheers Scott
PS: At least it's been confirmed. All Peter Newell lures.
Danny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 11:05pm
Hey Scotty,
Nah mate it wasn’t me who called up looking for your number. I’m not aware of the ins and outs of this dealing but it sounds like you’ve copped a bit of flack from a few directions. It is unfortunate for you but, to share the same name as another bloke who lives in the same town as yourself.  One could be forgiven if an honest mistake was made thinking you were somebody else. You bit pretty hard but. 
Enjoy the site. Plenty of knowledgeable people and some good reference points on here. 
I couldn’t tell you what those lures are worth. I have a beautiful little red/black silver scales callop and a black/silver lace callop. I’m not sure what there worth but from memory I paid $70 or $80 for them. I don’t have a kadiatcha but Ild be happy to part with $150 for the yellow one. 
Dan
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 8:31am

Hey Scotty,
Nah mate it wasn’t me who called up looking for your number. I’m not aware of the ins and outs of this dealing but it sounds like you’ve copped a bit of flack from a few directions. It is unfortunate for you but, to share the same name as another bloke who lives in the same town as yourself.
Scott is a pretty bloody common name. I could say hello to at least another 12-15 in the district. And that's only the ones I know by name and face. I wonder how many Scotts there are that I don't personally know? That Mick from Townsville implied I was Scott Fisher who sold an Aussie 200 (what-ever that is). I simply said that there's 3 people with that name in the district. 2 I know, the other was a recommendation for some work we needed to be done.
Why would any normal person assume I'm someone simply because I have asked some questions about a few lures and someone else in the same town with the name Christian name sold, what I assume to be a lure, in the past?
Following the same train of thought as Mick, should I assume every Mick in Townsville collects fishing lures? I'm not that stupid.

A bit of flack from a few directions?? It was flack from 2 people. Both yourself and that Mick from Townsville pretty much called me a liar or swindler or con-artist or what ever else you both were implying. Why wouldn't I bite? My name is worth more to me then a couple of bloody lures. When a couple of keyboard hero's question my name, I'll defend it. 
Why would you comment on a deal if you do not now the ins and outs of it? 
The deal was simple. I asked how much old mate wanted for the entire box of lures, not just these few. He told me a price and I paid what he wanted. Deal done. There were lots of other people who could have bought them before I turned up. They had been on a table for sale for about a week before I saw them. Did the seller tell you that Mick from Townsville? He is cleaning his shed out because the house is sold. He wanted it all gone.
I actually bought the box because what I thought were Tenterfield dart wannabe's. I've used the darts with success before so I thought these would be worth trying. It was only after researching the lures did I find out they were Newell lures.

I really don't know what cheap thrills people get when they tell people they would have paid more then what the seller wanted AFTER the deal has been done by someone else. The phone call should be a simple "You have some lures you're wanting to sell. Are they still available?". When the answer is "all sold, sorry" the final reply should be "thanks mate" and that should be the end of the conversation over the phone. When the prospective buyers realise that the item is gone, why would a few then go on about what they would have paid or what they think they're worth? Who does it help? Or is it simply a futile attempt to big note themselves?

How many of the members here have done exactly the same deal and will do exactly the exact same in the future? Turn up at a garage sale, ask how much, pay and leave.
A better question would probably be how many members here have never done, nor will they ever participate in the same transaction as I have done at a garage sale?

Danny View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:51am
Sorry for upsetting you Scotty.
Your name is absolutely worth defending. That’s why I said it was unfortunate for you to share the same name as a few other people in the same town. 
You’ve clearly had people calling you or the bloke you bought them off, asking about the lures. Thats what I meant by copping it from different directions. 
If you wanna know what an Aussie 200 is goggle “Aussie 200 lure” 
You need to add the word lure otherwise you’ll get the Aussie 200 for the ASX. 
Enjoy your lures mate. You bought them for fishing you said, so would love to see some catches you get on them. 
Enjoy the rest of your day hey. 
Dan
Scotty2 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:30pm

That’s why I said it was unfortunate for you to share the same name as a few other people in the same town. 
Think before you type because people are affected by what you say. Maybe YOU should have found out about who I am and about the deal BEFORE saying what you said.

I'm sure the other Scott's, and especially the Scott Fisher's in town will be wondering....which is the bad bugger, even if it's bad by assumption. 
It is not unfortunate to share a Christian name. It is unfortunate that people jump to conclusions because of a name. 
To jump to a conclusion about a person because of their name is downright stupidity to the nth. degree. Probably lucky for me my name isn't Ivan or Denis when there's people of that mentality around.

I'm selling the bloody lures. They're more trouble then they're worth. They have left a very sour taste in my mouth now. 
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:51pm
I have locked this thread as unfortunately it seems to have gone wildly off topic 

I would like to remind all members that should you have an issue with a post on LureLovers (especially if you feel it could be a legal matter, or if it is an emotive topic for you) please press the report post button found at the Top Right Hand Side of every post and advise of the issue concerning you.

That brings the matter to our attention and myself or one of our guides (moderators) will investigate and take appropriate action when required.

I'd greatly appreciate if we can please leave the pitchforks for other discussion groups/forums, let's keep the discussion here about Fishing Lures and polite. 

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic