LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

impoundment barra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: impoundment barra
    Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:11am
want to go back to callide next year around march / april . last time , cast and trolled for nil barra, a few good size yellas. reckon i've got the right lures as taylor , my son, used them on barra at peter faust and other dams up north. what are they like on the plate ? small just over legal fish should be ok, yes / no ? any info would be a help. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:46pm
Dam barra are like dam murray cod - very fatty. I suppose the same way Brian Dare prepares dam cod would work on dam barra. I don't know how to do that but he most probably has shown you.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:03pm
Hi Mick, 
I have caught a fair few Barra out of impoundments but only ever tried a couple on the plate. Martin is right regards cooking and prep, it’s important. 
As far as what fish to keep, take a good look at the fish and I have found that there is a fair bit of difference in the shape and condition of the fish ag times, some are leaner and lighter looking. If you go for a leaner and smaller one chances are that they will eat better.
The last one I kept (had a mate and his son up from down south and they wanted to try one) was a 98cm model, I bleed it well, iced it straight away and as soon as it was set, I filleted and skinned it, trimmed all the fat I could see and that grey looking crap around the edges and it ate bloody good in my opinion.
Wasted a bit of meat doing the trimming etc, but it came out well. I Panko crumbed and shallow fried it.

I should also add that I have had salt water Barra that did not eat great as well, biggest tip I think is to take a close look at the individual fish. The other thing, if you get a fish with damaged gills, try that one for a chew as it’s probably going to die anyway. 
Cheers,

SnowE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic