LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Nudes (laminated) again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Nudes (laminated) again
    Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:46am
I had a drama with my paint stock when we went away on an extended trip recently. It all went gluggy and I couldn't revive it. Not wanting to go  through the expense of replacing it I went back to the the naked scene. I have a heap of aussie red cedar, crows ash, silky oak and camphor laurel, all with nice grains. It's really a shame to cover it with paint, so to enhance them, I have been laminating the different timbers, something I have done in the past, albeit not a lot. Trying out different combinations is addictive as paint jobs. Pic is a set I have made for a mate 10, 8, 6 and 5cm. The 5cm model is one I have used for years (in plain cedar) with great results on Bass and Goldens.
Trev
Trev
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:32pm
Nice looking set Trev! Love the little nudies up here for Junglys and Sootys, slightly bigger ones for lagoon Barra. Just a note, did you realise it's been 50 years since we met at Harrys Hut, Aus Day weekend 1973? Cheers Mate...
Fysshe
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:45pm
Was it that long ago. The way I remember it that the river was rising and there was a couple of miserable RAAF blokes on their first trip there, very wet and camped on the verandah of Harry's Hut. Great fishing that weekend, the Bass were up in the flooded grass foraging for tucker. We caught heaps on brown Nilsmaster Invincibles, but you had to get the lure right up in a few inches of water. i think Norm Collingwood was with me. Did I get all that right. 
Trev
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 1:10pm
Definitely correct! You and Norm left early as the river was rising, When we got back from our morning session, there was a note telling us the bridge was about to go under. Too late for us and had to stay until the water receded. We had the tinny tied up to the verandah, Plenty of Bass on the brown Nilsys and soon became our favourite lure! Green Stalwarts as well accounted for some big Tarpon... Good times...
Fysshe
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 4:17pm
Hi Trev, great looking laminates. I bought a laminate from the Lure Expo a couple of years ago. Sold by a Brisbane Fishing Club as a fundraiser. You didn't happen to make it did you?

Hi Ian, nice nudes! Silky oak, red cedar and something something something?

Great reading your first meeting story guys
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by trevron1 trevron1 wrote:

I had a drama with my paint stock when we went away on an extended trip recently. It all went gluggy and I couldn't revive it. Not wanting to go  through the expense of replacing it I went back to the the naked scene. I have a heap of aussie red cedar, crows ash, silky oak and camphor laurel, all with nice grains. It's really a shame to cover it with paint, so to enhance them, I have been laminating the different timbers, something I have done in the past, albeit not a lot. Trying out different combinations is addictive as paint jobs. Pic is a set I have made for a mate 10, 8, 6 and 5cm. The 5cm model is one I have used for years (in plain cedar) with great results on Bass and Goldens.
Trev
are the measurements body only trev  ?. . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 6:29pm
The measurements are body only length. Didn't go to the lure expo, but it might have been at the 4WD and fishing show at the Ekka a couple of years back where the Southern Brisbane Sportfishing Club had a display and my timber lures as a raffle to raise funds for the club
Trev
Trev
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:15pm
Who would not like a nice nude. I do Wink
Great work Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 8:18pm
The yellow stripe on the 8cm is Crows Ash, some times known as Australian Teak. Northern NSW and Queensland. Actually a hardwood with very fine grain so it cuts without splintering. Unfortunately it sinks and lures I have made from it alone do not swim, so I use it as a highlight when laminating. It comes up a treat when epoxied. Old aussie country dance halls often had floors of crows ash because of it's durability. Doing some lures with it in a different laminate. Will post later.
Trev
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 10:26am
Trevor, I took your lure down off my display wall and got out the packet. It was definately the Lure Expo, maybe 2019? $15 if I remember correctly. Love it.

trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 2:40pm
Yep, that was it. That one is red cedar and camphor laurel. The fishing club had a couple of goes at the shows to get new members. Pretty well no result for a lot of effort. We made a few dollars out of lure sales. On the subject of camphor laurel it is not native and classed as noxious weed and where it really thrived was in the northern rivers where my timber came from along with the red cedar. It was introduced into Aus in 1820, so it's almost a native. Beautiful to work with and if you've got a cold it clears your sinuses. Keep moths out of your tackle boxesBig smileBig smile
Trev
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic