LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grommets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grommets
    Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:23am
Looking to change top water baits to through wire construction. Best place to source and type of grommets?, any help appreciated. Also like to mention this is a awesome site, certainly a lot of talent here. Thanks.

Change this to through wire construction.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 10:26am
tincan, what are the grommets for ?
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:16pm
Thanks for your reply Darby. New to the site so bear with me, first wooden bait  that I've built and painted in ten plus years and I'm a tad rusty in explaining things and doing things. The lure above I made has a full wire harness, belly slot cut and epoxy cement used to secure it. Would like to change it to a through wire construction. The grommets are used at the head, tail and belly section, they help to prevent splitting the lure and tearing out the timber when forming the tail loops and helps to tighten the centre wire. Belly grommet act as a bearing for a belly swivel and tearing the timber out around the belly hole. Still finding my around this site but I did come across a post in the Lures you have made section called "something has started by Nutter is a example to what I would like to experiment with. Sorry Nutter my bait looks similar to yours, what a coincidence. The scales by SolarFall technique and the eyes I made using a idea from a bloke called Vodkaman, I just changed it around and added to it so I give credit where due. Back to the grommets, can get them from sewing centres and hardware stores but I don't know if they will do the trick as they do not state as s/s, next option s/s pop rivets. basically just asking if anybody use the through hole wire technique any tips on the grommets ( hope I have got the name right). Thanks again.
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 6:29pm
Hi Peter,

I think you might be looking for Stainless Steel Cup Washers that you see used on some boats.
Available from Boat Chandlrey stores, check this link and see if these are what you mean.

Cheers
Adrian

Toga Fever
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 6:58pm
Tincan,
OK I have the gist of what you want to achieve. The main idea is to use the 'grommet' as a bearing surface I gather. Your idea of using a rivet (less shank) would be fine, but the only challenge I see would be to seal the timber internally. Using a water resistant timber like beech or cedar would save some hassles, otherwise be prepared to inject resin in the through hole and make a mess running the wire.
There are some small cup washers and screw eye bases available on some tackle supply sites that may be what you want. Here's a link that might help http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-parts/

Cheers Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 7:40pm
Pete -I have used Aluminum 'pop rivets' (3mm) for this, just knock the 'anvil' out and you have a grommet,  if you want some extra weight use S/S.
This picture is not the best example but it's the best I have - if you have a close look at the bottom hanger it's there.
If you use heavier wire, just us  a bigger rivet.

Pete-R

Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 8:47pm
Thanks guys for the input, I guess grommets and eyelets are a interchangeable term. Pilly thanks for the link opened my mind to another idea for another project. Thanks Darby for your input, was thinking on the terms of American plugs but your information rekindled things I have forgotten about regarding the different woods. Hazmail was thinking more on your terms, have seen your work around before and it is awesome true craftsmanship and beautiful presentation your second hobby must be woodwork and third photography. Well its going back to another prototype unless someone chips more ideas in. Cheers and thanks.

Tincan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic