LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trying something new

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying something new
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 9:33am
After seeing all that TimberWink on L.L. i felt like trying that instead of metal Spoons. Have made my first pro-to type of Wooden lure. It is made of a Danish Tree named BØG (in Latin. Fagus Sylvática) Got the idea to make it as a run true, and hope that Will work. Need to make the Bib and put clear cote on. Then take it on a test run. Have any of you made a run true like this before???
Now from the Spoons i make, if i fish it like run true, the lure got a hole new movement pattern, because you push it tru the water instead of towing it.

SIDE
SIDE
BUTTOM
FRONT
REAR
WITH THE HOOK

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 12:33pm
p.j.
Good idea what type of action are you expecting, slow trolling , erratic pumping, what type of fish would you be targeting up your way.Keep us   posted with the trials.

regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:49pm
John
It is a total new area for me. So i haven't got a clue how it will work. Hope on some thing like : Nose a bit down and tail wrinkling in Small fast movements. Hope to make the Bib, so it goes max. 1 meter in dept
The fish i am targeting, is Sea-Trout in our small streams and maybe in our fjords.
Have a nice day
        p.j.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 8:31pm
PJ the common name for that timber is European Beech, and from what I have gleaned is about the same density as our Meranti which a lot of lure makers use here. It might be maginally denser which should help with your wish to make it dive with out a large bib. I see you are rigging it like the old Jensen Kilroy's which makes good sense for your application.

Look forward to seeing how your foray into timber lures turns out.

Cheers Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm

p.j.

I think i saw something similar in a very early American publication but in there case they were not using a plastic tubing down the centre. I believe it was made by an unknown lure maker at the time.
Black and white photo. 
 Will try and see if I can locate and place a picture on the site for you . good luck

Regards John

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 9:54pm
Brad, European beech was all I could get when I was looking for white beech a while ago. It is as dense as the heavier meranti and looks a similar tight grain. To be used for a cod Lure project soon.
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
Brad
Thanks fore finding the name, so i can use that in future. Yes in DK. we have a tradition in making run trues. Will try experimenting some in Beech, it is very easy to work in.
John
Hope you find the old Pict. Always interesting to see other Lures, and get new inspiration.
Thanks gays
         p.j.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 11:26am
found something covering the 20's and 30's called Keeling lures

Interesting referance to the  "S" shaped hook hanger not aware if used very often in Australia.

regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:31am
John.
Special hook hanger you found there. I have never seen like that before.
Here is some more new thinking i am foundling with.
p.j.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 8:59am
P j
 how will you attach to lure, in strips ,or cover whole lure. Scale markings look good.

regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
John
this is a piece old shaft with ordinary house keeping foil glued on. Then hammered the scales on that, just like i do to the metal Spoons i make.
Have just tried to put the foil on, after the scales was made. Tapping it on place with a piece of cloth. Believe if i use a paint brush, the effect will get better Have to make scales on the hole lure, to get the job done. It takes some time to adjust, and i just made my first real wooden lure hanging with clear cote just now. So i need to go step by step on this
p.j.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 10:35am
great stuff pj something different, keen to see finnished product.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 6:43pm
me too P.J,this is interesting stuffThumbs Up
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:31am

Good evening/morning to you all.

Got an idea to make my Run true lure with 2 Hooks, but only 1 wire. Have tried it out, with a good result i think. So here is step by step my idea.

After cutting the first shape, i drill a 4 mm. well/hole just over the middle, were the front Hook should be.
Then i raise the Lure, and from the front drill a 2mm. hole down to the Well. Make sure to center the drill.
Shape the Lures, and cut in 2 pieces.
Then drill from the rear end, to the well/front Hook. be sure to center this drill to
Make sure the wire can go true the Lure and the wire made to pull out of the well.
Make the rear loop, and put the wire true Lure and  the pulling wire.
Before cutting wire, and making the front loop, you need to add the depth of the well and how much front loop you want out of the Lure. In this case i have 13mm. ( I make sure the 13mm. is between the back of the loop and front of the lure )
Now you can pull the wire fourth and back, and that way add some Glue to the holes.
I have put some screws in the loops, to prevent them going in to the Lure.
Put the pulling wire in the work bench and tighten firmly. Need to have the distance, so the Wood fork just can go between Lure and bench.
Now gently pres the Wood fork against the Lure, until the screws touch the Lure in both ends.
Now you have made the front Hook Loop, and pulled the others in place.
Remove the screws and pulling wire. Clean Lure fore Glue, and make the rest on it.

Hope some of you can use this.
If you have any questions, just ask, and i will try too help.
Have a nice day
          p.j. 

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:05am
Great stuff PJ I like that will give it a go thanks mateClap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:05am
P J

An oustanding job and great photo's too, the bottom eye (middle of lure)and the piece of wood got a little lost.

You are able to get a perfect finish to the lure with all the eyes including the middle one. Have you pulled it through the  lure using the board as a lever if so great  job and to be able to keep the eyes all so neat it is a great result
Thanks  for posting

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:11am
P J
Does the bib rest up to the wire or do you put a little slot in it

Great work really impressive.

Got go back and look at it again
Regards John
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 4:47pm
G'day PJ
 Congratulations on a very effective solution to a problem.ClapClap I am very impressed by the solution and the step by step photographs and description.
 Regards Billj
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

P J

An oustanding job and great photo's too, the bottom eye (middle of lure)and the piece of wood got a little lost.

You are able to get a perfect finish to the lure with all the eyes including the middle one. Have you pulled it through the  lure using the board as a lever if so great  job and to be able to keep the eyes all so neat it is a great result
Thanks  for posting

Regards John

Hy John
Sorry got the wrong Pict of my hand and Wood. But hope it will do any how.
Yes i have pulled the wire true the lure with the board as a lever. Have great control that way, and don´t risk to pull to hard.
Have a nice day
          p.j.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 7:52pm
Thanks P J

regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:59pm
this is a much better way of making a lure with a full wire than in two halves like ive always done.
very keen to give this a try P.J ,thanks for putting up the pictures you are a champion mate!Thumbs UpApprove
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 7:56am
Gary and Chris
I would very much like to here if you succeeded in this way to wire the Lures.
Must admit i am totally new. Decided a week ago to give it a try making some Wooden Lures, and have only finished the 2 Lures you see on this tread. So if you to expert gentleman's say it works, i now i hit a spot, and can go on finding Tools/materials to paint and so on.
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
yotmon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yotmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:19am
Nice idea. All I need now is a drill stand ! I normally cut a groove the full length of the belly and place the one piece wire into the lure, then fill the gap with normal filler - this way seems better - have to try it !
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 7:43am
Just playing around.

The Bib is made of old silver trophy
pj.

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 9:22am
PJ that mate is very cleverClap I do not normally make through wire lures because it seemed a bit of a hassel but your method looks real good and some of my lures would suit that system so I wiil let you know how I get on with it. Thanks again for a great post ClapClap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
yotmon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yotmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 9:47am
Hi Pj, did you make the scales on a lathe with a milling tool, or are they carved ?
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 10:13am

Yotmon

I Hammer them one by one, just like when i make my molded Spoons.
p.j.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 10:17am
Hi PJ, Thats a lot of work mate..But the finish is fantastic...ClapClapClapClap
My hat goes off to you(  as us Aussies Say) keep up the good work....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.Award
I'd rather be fishing with

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 10:32am
Yes Pete A LOOOT Of WORKCry
And a bit more difficult on a round wooden stick. Not some thing i am gone make a lot of. But as a newbie in Wooden lures i LOVE to experiment, just like i have and still does on my molded Spoons.
Hope to get started on painting. And hope fully get just a bit near your Aussies or some paint-jobs.
p.j.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 11:00am
PJ your detail & work is brilliant.
Billj
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
Hi PJ, Maybe you can make a template and punch the pattern right through it
so you can spray it on Instead of  Punching it....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2011 at 11:45pm
Pete don´t go around and "steal" other peoples thoughtsWink
I have already some ideas in that direction.
But haven't given totally up on the deep scales on Wood just yet. could imagine it will give a great surface using air Brush. But as said before I'm just getting started, playing around and getting some ideas that way.
Have that problem, that the wood raise in small flakes some times when i punch. Will try some things on that problem in the next days
                  p.j.

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 12:25am

Thanks fore the god credit to me on this tread Billj

Have seing some of yours work to. Must say i envy the skills in making/painting your Lures.ClapClapClap
Now i make some nice Spoons, but hope some day to come in the line, just behind you in making Wooden Lures
         p.j.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 6:23am
Per:

Your work is really unique.Wink

Its nice to see, that someone really like to think someting new from "outside" like usual working styles.Big smile
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:14am
PJ, you are a genius, love the way you pulled the wire thru. I never would have thought of doing that. Like you, we all like to experiment in different techniques. You are very precise in everything you do and that is great. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Verlon
Baitman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic