Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Timber King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History of Timber King Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of Timber King Lures
    Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:26pm
Here is another great report on the history of another Aussie luremaker by Barry (fish69blue) - thank you Barry and Nando for taking the time to share this info with us. Thumbs Up

Timber King Lures

Nando is the maker of Timber King Lures and he was born in Mareeba in 1963. He has fished all his life and started making lures in 1979 in Innisfail.

Burnt Timber King LuresNo paint - no worries!
His first burnt wood lures were made also in 1979 mainly because paint was too expensive for him to buy in the early days. He has mainly made his lures for family and friends over the years but these days most anyone can purchase a few from him.

Nando now produces 28 models from deep divers to shallow to ones with rattles and all manner of shapes and colours. He said he would like to get to 40 models. So far they range from about 60mm to 180mm and plans are already underway for a range of Poppers as well as some jointed models. He now resides in Cairns and is one of the last of the true handmade lure makers.

On talking with him it was obvious that he was passionate about his lures and how he built them and tested them. He has kept the lure design simple as well as the bib and says it saves on a lot of time for him and is original and catches plenty of fish.

The Materials
After inspecting quite a few of the models it was apparent that he used good material as well as sound manufacturing techniques. His lures are made from four timbers depending on what’s available and what lure is to be made. The timbers are ---White Beech, Milky Pine, Kauri Pine and Bunya Pine.
All of the bibs are aluminium.

All eyelets are twisted s/steel wire and the belly ones are at a slight angle.

Paint is Automotive grade, and a tough clear coat applied as a final coat.

All lures are signed and also have a model number.

A15 is a particular model in standard form while A15R is the same model with a rattle.

The only machines used to make the lures are a battery drill for the eyelet holes and the air brush to paint them.They are roughly cut out with a Frett saw and then sanded by hand with Aluminium oxide sandpaper of various grades.

Nando is very particular with his choice of material. He uses alloy bibs over poly so as to obtain better strength and stability. He uses only timber because of strength and buoyancy issues and he wants people to know he uses only wood. This is how the Timber King name came about.

As he explains, to fish for our northern species that can grow up to 60kg and some with many huge teeth, you require a very strong lure. Nando does not like to see lures broken easily because of poor workmanship or poor choice of materials. He tank tests each and every lure and goes to a lot of trouble to test eyelet strength.

Strength is important
While I was at his house we connected two lures together at the centre eyelet with 100lbs test line and both of us pulled extremely hard to dislodge an eyelet. They were amazingly strong considering a fish would not generally be pulling at the eye in the direction that we were using. Nando really does pride himself on the strength of his lures and hopes that the split rings and hooks are the weakest link.

One of Nando's unique designs is the cut-out on the back of some of his models. These are like dorsal fins. He says that particularly in dirty water where noise and hydrodynamic pulses come into play the fins quite often pick up air pockets and you can easily hear the bubbles bursting underwater. This he says has resulted in some great catches over the years particularly during the wet season.
Hope you enjoy the pics and the story of Timber King Lures.

Here's a few more pics of Nando's Timber King Lures:

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:31am
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:33am
These are some of my bubble makers.Photo does not do lures any justice.They look much better in the flesh.Embarrassed
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 9:53am
Did you ever put dolls eyes on any of your lures ?
Tagged and released
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Timber King Lures Timber King Lures wrote:

These are some of my bubble makers.Photo does not do lures any justice.They look much better in the flesh.Embarrassed

Thanks Nando, I meant to put a pic of those in but missed it!

Cheers, Tony

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 11:55am
Here's a picture of Nando with a few of his creations

Cheers, Tony

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Craig Craig wrote:

Did you ever put dolls eyes on any of your lures ?
No Craig.Never used dolls eyes.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 7:31pm
No probs Tony.
Thanks Rob.
Got a few new mods im working on.Will post pics after testing etc.Wink
I must thank Barry and Tony for making all this possible..
regards,Nando.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 7:08am
Hi Nando
I have been a bit slow to get to this particular thread on history of your lures
Like the burned timber effect. Very nice.
I notice the use of term Bubble makers..is it the serrated top fins that do this?
cheers
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 4:08pm
Thats right Wayne.When they are cast they float.Therefore when the retrieve is started the "fin/fins" trap air and take it down with them.Can here the "bubble" sounds if you listen for it when the lure is close to you.I even stuck my head under water as the lure swam past me and its quite loud.Seems that the air bubble just stays behind the "fin". .Strange but true.
A few weeks ago we went up the top chasing barra.One mid arvo the fish seemed to have turned off, even live bait was a waste of time..Gave a "bubble maker" a go and it was on.
cheers,Nando.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 6:24pm
Well sounds like you're onto something there.
This story should make you a trend setter in this aspect of lure design!
cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:04pm
awesome lures Nando,it sounds like you really know your stuffThumbs Up
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:44pm
Thanks.
Started fishing when i was 3 and at 16 (now 47) started making lures and experimenting so it all boils down to a lot of frustration, testing,imagination and luck i guess.
nando.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:49pm
Good on you Nando , Keep up the good work.ClapClapClapClapClap Regards Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:21pm
TongueVERY COOL LURES NANDO i really dig the burnt  ones exellent work mate ClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smile
darren240 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darren240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:51pm
great lures mate i have a couple now and hopeing to score some more soon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic