LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fly Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

clousers for trout?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clousers for trout?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 3:01pm
i just finished reading an article on an american flyfishing site that recommends small clousers for trout
has any one here tried this?
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:36pm
Yes, though it was some time ago and I can't remember if I was sucessful at all.

I've also started tying a few smallish (~60-90mm) deceivers, clousers and the like specifically for a local lake where there are golden perch, redfin and trout all in the same water. I'm hoping to try some with weedguards through the shallowish weed beds/bare areas for the perch (both kinds) and toss them around for the rainbows if they start moving.

I was at a local river this afternoon, thinking I should swing some in under the overhanging willows and snags - never know what might grab it Tongue (but I didn't have any on me at the time).

Steve
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:39pm
so many different fishing scenarios for clousers chris i dont think they would be that effective in fast running water but in lakes on fast sinking line they would be very effective as they are here on schooling bass, pearcey
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:54pm
I wouldn't be suprised if they worked in running water - after all, rapalas, celtas etc. all do so why not a minnow fly?

Here's one I just dashed up with a #12 nymph and a 60mm minow for comparison (green works well for yella's around here Wink)

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 6:59pm
i recon that would be ok Steve its a good size ,the guy who wrote the article tied his clousers on no8 hooks using dull colors for the wings and tailfibres (olives and browns/black)
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Pearcey Pearcey wrote:

so many different fishing scenarios for clousers chris i dont think they would be that effective in fast running water but in lakes on fast sinking line they would be very effective as they are here on schooling bass, pearcey
i recon your right Dave  i recon this tactic would work around the timber in places like Eucumbene too.,i think the sinking line and clouser
combination would work well on the deep slow pools and under waterfalls also.
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 9:00pm
Yep I used to years ago when I tied alot of flys . But I used to troll them of a lure with a 3 way swivel . A tassie or rapala of the back and the small clouser with a shorter leader of the middle . Used a lead keel with the tassies . Did hook a couple on the fly . Didn't do it alot ,just things I tried . The fly used to sit above the lure around foot and a half in front.... Might have a look around the boxes for the flys or make some more give it another crack ....... Cheers Aaron
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 12:27am
that'd be good mate be interesting to see the colors you use
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 9:58am
I think I just found a new fly to try - scaled down it would make a great leech imitation and should do well swum slowly over weed beds for dozing fish Wink

http://vimeo.com/2462482
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 1:38pm
thats brilliant that would work well on the Bass too
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:46pm
made these trout clousers(trousers?LOL) up last night
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 3:06pm
well done chris not to much hair, you would catch a myriad of fish on those mateThumbs Up pearcey
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 7:34pm
NICE chris kill the bass on them suckers for sure & the troutBig smileBig smileBig smileWinkWinkregards bob
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:43am
i'll test these out in a couple of weeks fellas ,it'll be interesting.i think i'd tie these on slightly bigger hooks for the Bass Bob but i recon they'd eat em too.yeah i was a bit unsure of if i'd put too much
hair on these Dave ,ive only ever done the big saltwater ones before now.i might test one in the pool tomorrow
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 9:24am
Hmm, Red Tag clousers Clap

Is that bucktail in the wing? I found a few of the ones I'd tied ages ago and they've got some fox tail which seems to work as good as the bucktail at smaller sizes and you can get it for free off the road.

I've also tied up a couple of wool headed baitfish imitations for skinny water presentation to waiting fish. Hoping they don't sink very quickly but still hold the bulk needed too keep the shape. I tried the clouser I posted above and it sinks like a stone on sink tip line/leader. Should be good for moderately deep presentations or getting down in fast moving water.

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:40pm
thanks for the tip for the foxtail,i'll get some of thatWink.yes its bucktail hope its not too bouyant.how does your clouser go with flathead?
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 1:07pm
has anyone tried this stuff?,its supposed to sink quicker than bucktail
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 1:22pm
Dunno, never had much time in the brine with my fly rod but I'd be fairly confident that they'd eat them very happily bounced across the sand.
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:13pm
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:15pm
Does anyone think you could use a jig head for plastics for a base to start tying a fly to
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:15am
@puglee . . .

Nice little red tag clousers and sure they will work.

Fox and squirrel tail work well.If you can get your hands on arctic fox or minx you will never regret it for flies like this

MXB
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:15am
@goldtrev . . .

Definitely and try the Squidgey Resin heads

MXB
flea View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

made these trout clousers(trousers?LOL) up last night
undefined

Awsome redtag clousers. Those other ones i reakon would work a treat in lake jindabyne for the yabbie feeders. I like em Clap
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 12:50pm
ANYONE tying for trout this time of year??????????Big smileBig smileBig smileTongueregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic