LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Rings??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Rings??
    Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:39pm
I've been playing around with the idea of lures without split rings to reduce noise for a while. This is a fish I picked up tonight.
I've been amazed how much more naturally a lure swims without splits.
Illusion Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 11:20am
thats a very good idea,i recon thatd work very well.that Barra is living proof.
have to give this a go .good stuff!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:25pm
Something to think about........
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 9:02pm

At the moment I'm using this setup when the barra are looking but not switched on enough to hit the lure properly. A lot of the creeks and rivers up here have dried into pools and have seen a bit of fishing pressure through the dry and anything that can help me turn the tables on gun shy fish is worth a shot.

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 8:20pm
Wal anythings worth a try mate, good to see if its just luck or if it becomes more consistent, keep us posted.

Bob..........you will get into trouble!LOL
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by fishaholic5 fishaholic5 wrote:

At the moment I'm using this setup when the barra are looking but not switched on enough to hit the lure properly. A lot of the creeks and rivers up here have dried into pools and have seen a bit of fishing pressure through the dry and anything that can help me turn the tables on gun shy fish is worth a shot.

Cheers
Wal
sounds like a good scenario for a ten/12 wieght fly rod and some decieversWink
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:55pm
It works on Glenbawn bass, jew and barra for me so far, enough to always have a couple rigged like this in my bag for when it gets toughLOLLOL
Illusion Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:57pm
Really worth a try then, annoying when you know the fish are there but not interested. Martin
Martin-

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:14pm
great Idea I will give this a go & then get back
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:40pm
Thing's have been a bit quiet here lately so I dragged the "secret" weapon out for a few casts

97cm on the last cast before a thunderstorm

Cheers
Wal 
Illusion Lures
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:57pm
Bluddy nice fish Wal :)
you lead the life!Smile
Barney.
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:09pm
I used to have a life,
 I traded it for handfuls of fishing luresBig smile lungs full of sawdust and the chance to fish anytime........

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:37pm
Sounds good to me... l suspect you have a better life now.  :)
ORDMICK View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORDMICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:17pm
What are you using instead of a ring?????
I use dacron loops alot and find that big fish cannot bend trebles so easily.....

Mick
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 11:29pm
I'm pretty Hi-tech MickLOLLOL
Bricklayers string coloured black with a permanent marker. I've noticed the drop in bent hooks too, they don't seem to be able to throw a lure as easy when they're jumping either

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:54pm
Wrapper geneously gave me some materials and ideas to make/tie stinger hooks and in place of split rings. But I am so absent minded to take some with me or to place them ready on lures. When I get my act together I will do it and these posts are very good reminders to kick myself again for not having done it. Martin
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:38pm
put a spool of it in your glovebox mateWink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:40pm
TIE IT AROUND MY WRISTLOL MORE LIKE IT, I'd still leave it in the  glove boxWacko
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:51pm
well you would'nt want to leave it in the pocket of your kayak seatWinkLOL
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:15pm
lolLOL
Martin-

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 7:02am
Great idea Wal, but I think I will have to find something stronger than brickies string, maybe rubber/ kevlar "O" rings LOL  !!!!! - as you say though, there seem to be lots of positives in your idea  Thumbs Up.
Thanks.
Pete
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:38am
I haven't popped it yet PeteBig smile
Still using 12 and 20lb mono too, maybe wild fish aren't as strong as space Barra?

Cheers
Wal

Illusion Lures
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 11:57am
Wal - I'm thinking more of trout and attaching brickies string to a 5cm lure with my fat fingers, near impossible for me LOL.
Pete
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
LOLLOLLOL I've got to admit it's hard enough to get a small enough loop on a big lure, I use fine net cord on the little lures and it does get pretty fiddly. A hollow braid may be easier as you could needle splice it and lock it with glue instead of tying Knots

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 7:46pm
CAN you still get the oval rings ????????????????????????regards bob
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 8:33pm
BOB, last oval rings i got came from Bill Wayof Nat Nat Lures in Sydney many years ago. Dont think hes in business now.Only got couple left,haven`t seen any oval rings fo a while, some one out there might knowof a supplier??Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:30pm
I have some oval rings, but they are nickel plated steel from Janns in the US. I bought 2 sizes and they do look good on the Bradaitcha.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:38pm
THANK BOYS ill see if i can track some down Big smileregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:54pm
Bob, I have a few extras if y'all wanna try em Wink
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 7:48pm
Fellas reading this I am afraid I am lost on the Dacron loops and brickies line could anybody give me a quick explanation please.  Sorry to trouble but most of my mates are bait fishermen and don't the same language.

Gordon
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 11:56am
The loop's attaching the trebles to the Barra lures in the pic's instead of split ring's are made of the braided cord used by Bricklayers and other tradesmen. It's usually Flouro or white, so I colour it black with a permanent marker. Braided Dacron is commonly used as backing on fly reels, and also used to be used lot's for game fishing, It's good for doing this to smaller lures, as are other braided fishing lines
Cheers
Wal

Illusion Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 6:49pm
its stringline,sometimes you can get it in just plain white too Wal.that stuff is tough as all getoutThumbs Up
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:15am
Are you just making those brickie cord loopswith a granny knot?
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 11:47am
Opposing overhand Knots( Granny Knot's)LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLWink Funny, I haven't popped one Yet
Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:13am
Granny's are underrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic