Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some tools I found-- ADD YOUR'S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 1:20pm
The wrench is a "One size fits all" type. If the nut fits in the opening you should be able to undo it. Not a good practice as it wrecks the nut, but ok in an emergency!
Fysshe
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by toadfrog toadfrog wrote:

The ruler is a masons ruler i believe   

A MASON'S ruler...was that what they used to measure the height of THE GOAT.....WinkWinkWink

Mick!!!

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 8:34pm
I love old tools John, they are a 'yardstick' for the stuff we have to buy today--That type of rule  I saw a lot in the U.S last time i was there, seems all the builders use them, folds up and stick it in your pocket.

I recently bought  an original "Zlyiss Clamp" (made in Sweden), complete with the original sales docket, it says they were purchased in 1967 for $37--I paid $32 for them and $70 postage (from US) but still $200 cheaper than you can buy the new copies--It is in pristine condition and has about twice as much meat as the new copies , 'Z-Clamps' etc.
Makes me cry when I go over there (US), their hand tools are /were something to see, and use, now it's like here, all Chinese, they look the same but you have to buy a new one every second year - same in the UK.

Thanks for posting, only we are old enough to see the beauty in these.
When are you babysitting again John ????????????????????
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 11:45am
A pair of early fish grippers (?????) has facility at end to clear blood line.

Regards John

oldies and some unknowns

regards John

The one on the right i think is a nibbler and in the the next picture i was told a hand Nibbler if there is such a thing.

regards John

toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 12:26pm
If I remember right top left going down . Blue thing is a card board knife I.E. shear for big rolls of card board . next is a door jamb plane also used to smooth flat surfaces . then a home made formica counter clamp . Pliers were I think use on brake springsSilver job might be an electrical plug stop for motors like grinders ect .Bottom is a wall stud drill brace used for a lot of things . Top middle I think is a dowel cutter. Top right may be a copper line flare tool can't tell for sure . Then a pipe threading die holder or a bearing spanner wrench .silver round job looks similar to a spring loaded hardness gauge. I don't even have a guess on the last one . Not positive on any of it .Gave it a shot for grins and giggles though .
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 5:43pm
Green one 2nd pic bottom left is an old bean peeler and slicer, my old gran had one of those......uuurgh memories of grey soggy beans with greasy lamb chops Dead

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 8:14pm
The three in the second photo are King Dick spanners if my memory serves me. They were English made and were the early attempt at a shifting spanner, they were great they normally slipped under load and removed a fair bit of skin from knuckles the back of your hand and were a fantastic aid in learning the correct use of swear words.
That is a hand nibbler for thin material they are still made and available from the US.
Hope that helps.

Big-Pete
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 8:47am
UK gas spanner bottom picture brass item near centre I have been told.
Some interesting wooden handled, specific purpose tools, from an early era.
 Most  have U K or Made in England on them
regards John
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:14am
Bottom picture, top center with red handle looks like a device to set the teeth on a hand saw. I have watched my dad use one of these many times when I was a small boy.
Regards,
Verlon
Baitman
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 11:18am
Now that you mention it that does look like a saw set . Have one around here some place . been 30 yrs since I used one .
You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:18pm
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 8:48pm

I have been fighting that perennial lure builders dust problem for what seems like forever, and about a year back I thought I had it beat with a double 'cyclone' filter and a third automotive style filter in the vacuum cleaner, but NO, I still was blowing clods of dust from my more than adequate nose.

I disc sand all my blanks (so these are semi "hand carved" Big smile) , this dust from the sander is very fine (like talc), so in the past 3 months I have been taking a different tack and have installed a ducted system on my sander and band saw (with 'blast gates'), where the dust is sucked away through 15cm ducts by an old (and large) evaporative cooler fan, which I have been hoarding for 'that special job' for the past 25 years.

These cooler fans spin pretty slow, so through a 15cm duct the 'suck  is pretty low but the volume is high, and is enough to get the finest dust away without the wineing noise of a vacuum cleaner or 'cyclonic' dust extractor, just a low HUMMMM in your ears, you can even hear the phone ring.

With this setup I was getting all the dust away, but because it was so fine, again I was eventually getting it back with wind / fan draft etc.

So here is my solution , it seems to work well so far – I figured if I could just wet the dust it would drop and stick to the concrete, but eventually again it blew back at me ---- so I added a 'condenser' to catch the excess 'wet' dust which then drips into a tray, it uses about 10 L of water / hour and so far no more 'BOOGIES' in the nose.

I was thinking larger ducting would be better but stuck with the 15cm because - 1. I don't have the space and - 2. I think the air speed may be too high for the small amount of mister water to 'wet' the dust -

(wind speed = in 8m/s—out 1.5 m/s)

Pete

Ducting to fan box

You need - sprinkler bits, hose, elbows, clamps, misting heads +++

Note -dust in box after a couple of lures

And around cowling  (with condenser removed)

Add the 'condenser'

Dust collected off 9 blanks (with condenser removed)

Showing when dry, remnants of dust on bottom side of condenser, (just hose it off)

Probably cost about $60 (not including the fan and ducting)
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:33pm
Pete, you have been at it again and again I am impressed. Top work, thanks for sharing
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:49pm
Pete I'm with Angus, something I have to do eventually, this will be a good starting point to look.

Cheers Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:15pm
Again after reading this post I am left feeling that yeh I am a idiot its no wonder I make shirts & not lures,,,I understood about 10% of what I just seen,,,yep was gonna make my own lures like crazy,,now I will just keep swapping you makers shirts or buying them as you lot are truely gifted,,,something dont work,,hell you buggers just reinvent it or come up with totally new ideas,,,WELL DONE TO ALL WHO HAVE ADDED TO THIS POST,I AM AMAZED AT YOUR SKILL IN THINKING OUT SIDE THE BOX-SQUARE,,,SOME OF YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE BLOODY TEACHERS,,,,I would go to your classes....thank you,,Gary CFSA
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:35pm
Thanks fellas but no big deal, I have just methodically thought it through, mostly in bed, as Confucius said  "If you to bed with a problem, you wake up with solution in hand"  LOL.
I have been sucking this dust for too long and after a lot of 'goggling' over the years I came to realize that I needed to catch this super fine 'talc' like dust which is the killer, the big stuff is easy - BUT probably  too late for me Big smile.
I have made quite a few different 'cyclone' type filters, and as I think I said, I was still breathing in dust I couldn't see so decided to take a different tack--I fiddle with all sorts of Sh-t but so far this one is impressing me with the fine stuff it collects off the disc sander--All I have to do now is seal all the leaks in my band saw so it can neutralise the dust from of it as well---workin on it.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 5:45am
Pete thats very clever Thumbs Up....well done,i wouldn't have thought of that.....

Mick!!!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 7:57pm
I love hand planes and other old tools, I just bought a Palm Plane and a Mini Block Plane form Canada-

The Mini has a 'thumb screw blade adjuster', which is a dream after using the 'capstan' type lock for years- this little wonder is great for getting those sharp corners off the 'shoulders' of a lure blank, saves me a heap of time sanding.

Beautiful things Heart  Heart  Heart
Pete

Palm Plane

Mini Block plane

peterayn@yahoo.com.au
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:21pm
that little plane is a bottler mate,must keep an eye out for one of those myself
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:48pm
I want one too!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:54pm
Sorry forgot to add--- http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=591
Some nice hand tools here.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 9:01pm
My grandfather worked with wood and had a lot of planes that I still have . I don't think I ever saw one that tiny . Mercy you could lose that under a finger nail .
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 9:23pm
Snap, I do love little planes this is mine also from Canada. ClapClapClapClapClap  Billj

The older I get the more I learn.
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 5:12pm
Love all the above boys, great .

Just a thing I converted several years ago after I bought my Air Brush kit was to take the pump from an old Tucker Box freezer clear the refrig fluid from the system and use it asa compressor.

I think the tubing I used was from a 12 volt tyre pump. I am sure you can pick up the tubing from your local auto shop by thw metre. It is so quiet that I can't hear it running at times.
I did add a small valve some years ago that clicks in when the pressure gets too high and pops one of the tube connections.

I am only spraying enamels and I think I can get by with lower PSI than required for lacquers so that is probably just a matter of going for a larger motor.

Gordon
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:47pm
Gordon- I have heard of these compressors but never seen one in action--I have one made from a car Air Conditioner compressor, been pumping air for years but is a bit noisy. 
They reckon the fridge compressors work great and like you say are very quiet, might make one when my little Chinese one claps out
Here's some plans if anyone is interested.
Thanks for posting Gordon.
Pete

peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:54pm
I might have a job for ya next time your up pete.....my old 50s silent knight fridge died this xmas....motor runs cant hear it its so quiet....just stopped getting cold....
so bring your tools.....a compressor out of the motor for sentimental value would be good.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 9:48pm
They all look the same those little motors. I just mounted mine on a hardwood board around 500 x. 150 x 20 thick, cut the 2 copper tubes then had an electrician friend attach a short lead. Once you turn it on you will find out which I'd the inlet and outlet.

For those who haven't seen a fridg motor before, that photo is the complete motor and compressor all in one.

Not at home at the moment otherwise I would include a photo of my setup.

Gordon
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 9:50pm
Damm! I can spell better than this iPad
steptoey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steptoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:58pm
This tool is the most used in my shed. There are side effects after prolonged use so extreme caution is advised.

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:07am
Someone mentioned eyes from sign writers vinyl above. I still have a vinyl cutter I work with and I cut out a variety of colours and sizes and shapes of eyes.

As sign shops are all into printed signs these days they all should have a lot of the old vinyl lying around so go and ask fellas.

Another little add-on I do is to apply drops of clear to the eyes. I have some of the 2 pack clear furniture glaze that is great, but now I use leftover araldite. The araldite I am using is a low viscosity boat building type so being more liquid it works well.

The sign vinyl comes with a waxed backing so if you are punching eyes out then you might want to mount the circles back onto some un cut waxed paper. Try it either way.

I always have sheets of eyes on hand ready and when I have glued in bib slots or hook hangers, with the leftover araldite I use a fine wire and drop and puddle the araldite onto the little eye circles. The wax paper won't accept the araldite so it sits there as a dome. This may do the same just as a punched out disc also but it will be moving about too much on your bench.

Another thing is once hardened they are suitable for a flat surface only on your lures so you must prepare the face to take the eyes. Eyes are cheap to buy but I just love making things and this gives me the option of every possible colour mix.

Gordon
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 12:51pm
Three  smallish planes one has 110 and the other one NO 5 But do not appear to have any names.
Maybe they are English

The large one around 55cm (22 inches long) has Falcon Pope  F7  clearly marked. No doubt due to  the extra  space.

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 7:21pm
John- I have one in the shed exactly the same as on the left-- Marked--------->
  "STANLEY

MADE IN CAN"
I assume "CAN" is Canada.

The No 5 pictured is probably a cheapo by the look of the casting, the web on this one is quite thick-- generally a good plane has fine castings to save weight, see "Bailey" etc.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 8:17pm
I have a milk crate, half full of wooden planes from a bygone era.
The blades are locked in position with wooden wedges.
New camera coming soon, piccys soon following.
Also have other well aged tools, some of those King Dick Knuckle Rakers, Brace Drills, Nail Pullers, Shears, Hex Drive Ratchet (push through, not reversing)+ Sockets, Files/Rasps, etc, etc.
I don't want the world for them, will trade for some lures.
If anyone is interested in purchasing, flick us a PM.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:24pm
Interesting Mal, like to see some pics.

Gordon
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 5:32pm
For the DIY wooden tool / machine makers out there:

Some good /simple "Thien" dust collectors here:  http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/index.html

Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic