LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Red Cedar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Western Red Cedar
    Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:53am
 What are your opinions on this as a lure wood ?  Any problems I should know about before I make heaps of them ? 
I like pretty painted sticks
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:36am
Looks awesome but irritates me when sanding , sneezing . Taste . Need mask on bad ....my thoughts anyway .... Cheers Aaron
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:40am
Jeff ask Powelly he has info that it is not very good for you Dead so mate check with him
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:40am
 Yeah , I have heard it affects some people badly and you must use a mask .
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:42am
I had some and Travers told me not to use it.
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:10pm
always use a mask anyway Jeff,. ive heard western red cedars bad for you i wonder whats in it?,youd think aussie red cedar would be bad too as the dust is so fine.
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:45pm
I played around with it awhile back no mask on like burns around lips . Mate who's a builder said straight away you been using cedar .... Yep ... That's what it will do to you he said ... ... Does anyone know about jelutong affects as I'm trying to use this mostly ..... Cheers Aaron
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:51pm
Theres a heap of timbers that are linked to respiratory problems, including ear, nose and throat cancers and allergies, protective equipment is a MUST HAVE. Western red Cedar is one of them. 

Western red does make good lures, It's pretty light and a bit soft for my liking

Cheers
Wal 
Illusion Lures
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 1:34pm
I couldn't work out how to post the link fella's, do a search on "toxic timbers" theres heaps of stuff like this one from UTAS

Material Safety with Timber and Timber Products

Timber and timber products have to be handled and machined safely on building sites and in workshops. The are two main safety considerations are:

1. The control of wood dust; and

2. Handling species or products with known toxicological effects.

Control of wood dust

Many hazards are associated with wood dust production. Wood dust can cause a range of skin, eye, lung and other aliments and complaints.

All work with timber should be carried out in such a way as to minimise the generation of dust. Generally, all sawdust needs to collected at the point of generation.

Machining should be done with equipment fitted with exhaust extraction. Hand power tools should be fitted with dust bags and used in well-ventilated areas. A vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter or wet mop should be used to clean work areas. A dry sweeping method should not be used.

Specific species or products effects

The dust of some species and products may be poisonous or carcinogenic. The table below provides a list of potential timber hazards.

Many tropical timbers are spalted (i.e. black lines are present within the timber). These black lines are caused by fungus. Any timber with fungal spores will grow fungus in a bag. When this timber is worked (by hand or machine) the dust may be toxic.

Apart from the effects of the wood itself, risks posed by the use of chemicals in wood treatment, preservation and finishing should be considered. The National code of practice for the safe handling of timber preservatives and treated timber NOHSC2003, provides detailed guidance and can be downloaded from www.nohsc.gov.au.

Medium and high-density fibreboards (MDF) are made using up to 13% formaldehyde resin. Formaldehyde is classified as a probable human carcinogen and may be released during machining. The softwood dust from this product is a sensitiser and may cause allergic dermatitis or asthma. Respiratory protection as specified on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for fibreboard must be worn when machining. The risk of nasal or paranasal sinus cancers is increased if the work practices noted in the MSDS are not followed. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for fibreboard can be downloaded from www.woodpanels.org.au

General Precautions

• Avoid using wood with known toxicological properties.

• Reduce dust to a minimum by collecting it at the source of generation.

• Ensure that dust extraction units are functioning properly.

• Hand power tools should be fitted to mobile dust extractions units. Dust bags may still release fine wood particles into the work place.

• Where dust is a problem, wear eye protection and an efficient respirator and ensure that there is adequate ventilation.

• Always wear protective clothing, including shirts with long sleeves and high collars, long trousers, shoes or boots.

• Avoid using any chemically treated timber, or non-commercial timber, unless all precautions have been taken regarding personal safety and then handle with great care.

• Use barrier creams (silicone-free and fatty) before, during and after work.

• Always wash hands prior to going to the toilet since some wood dust may irritate the genitals and anus.

• Always wash hands prior to eating.

• Ensure that all wounds are clean and well covered before work.

• Clean the workshop machines and tools regularly to prevent dust build-up.

• Suspect that a health problem may be related to your workshop if the symptoms improve during holidays or absences from the workshop.

References: Materials, Design and Technology (MDT) Safety Guide, Tasmanian Department of Education, November 2002

Timber / Hazard

Effect

Symptom

Boxwood Sap or latex

Primary skin irritant, dermatitis

Skin irritation, eruption

Timbers usually with acrid smell, eg Black Bean

Cumulative contact dermatitis

Dermatitis, secondary infection

Oregon and green Jarrah handling and splinters

Mechanical trauma, dermatitis

Dermatitis, secondary infection

Blackwood, Eucalyptus, Silky Oak, Jarrah, Oregon, Mulga, and Shorea sap

Mucosal irritation

Rhinitis, sneezing, asthma, tight chest and coughing

Blackwood, Stringy-bark

Pulmonary allergic and hypersensitivity reactions

Nasal inflammation, bronchial asthma

Ebony and some fungi

Pulmonary allergic and hypersensitivity reactions. 'Wood Trimmers Disease' or 'Farmer Disease'.

Severe respiratory problems within 4 to 8 hours. Symptoms similar to flu. Repeated exposure leads to fibrosis of lungs.

Certain hardwoods such as Beech and English Oak are sensitisers

Sensitisation can cause allergic reactions

Skin rash or inflammation. Nasal inflammation, bronchial asthma

Western Red Cedar wood dust is a sensitiser and probable carcinogen

Pulmonary allergic and hypersensitivity reactions. Nasal and paranasal cancer (with long term exposure)

Skin rash or inflammation. Nasal inflammation, bronchial asthma. Cancer from long term exposure may cause death

Oleander sap and latex is poisonous

Primary skin irritant, dermatitis

Skin irritation, eruption, poisoning

Table 1. List of Potential Timber Hazards

AWPA is an organisation formed to promote the use of reconstituted wood products such as MDF and Particleboard and further research and development to conserve the agricultural and forestry resources of Australia.

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 1:39pm
There are also problems with some Australian timbers that aren't mentioned here. Many contain fine silica fibres that strengthen the cell walls, long term exposure to the dusts can lead to silicosis

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 2:11pm
Jeff , western red cedar is fine for lures.

During cutting /sanding the sawdust should be dealt with as best as possible [vacuum/draft fan etc] , but ,  FINE sawdust from ANY timber is NOT good for the human bodyLOL

Cheers,

Barney.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 2:13pm
Just read Wal's BIG post ...all of what is in it is true.
Again....ANY fine sawdust aint good for you.
Common sense and caution Smile
Barney.
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 3:12pm
So we got the health ramifications outta the way , wear a mask .
 Will this wood stand up as well as Red Cedar  in lures ?

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:50pm
Worked in a timber mill for 6 years, face masks were not readily handed out. Used to pick the dust from my eyes in "strings" of eye secretion. Used to sneeze and cough up black gunk. We used treated timber from Malaysia. Splinters used to kill the flesh around them, that how you found the ramin (white timber) splinters. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:01am
i think its still the same in most sawmills and furniture factories Martin,no one wears masks but then again in some the air is that thick with dust that even if you did you'd still have problems in the long run
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:19am
Jeff , some sort of dust extraction is needed. A mask is not enough.

Either a vacuum system or a fan draft system is need. Both quite cheap and easy to set up.

'Fan Draft' is simply a 30cm blower [from a trade shop etc] with a length of 30cm ducting to a 60x60cm home-made 'box' under your sander/sanding device. Sucks out all the very fine sawdust but leaves the bigger chunkier sawdust. You can set it up to blow the dust outside and /or into a 'wet trap'.

Western Red is fine for most lures but l didnt like using it for small lures as sometimes it had a 'hairy' grain.

Cheers,
Barney.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:23am

Gary , western red is great for 3-4-5" cod lures and 3-7" jack/barra lures.

Barney.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:53am
Hi Guys, I've just recently started using western red cedar
and I've found it very good ..WinkWink it's easy to work with
and paints up a treat...ClapClap I haven't had any trouble with
skin irritations or anytrhing like that but when you compare it to jelutong
I think the yellow wood is for better...SmileSmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:08am
 I am liking it because it is easy to work with and doesnt push out air bubbles in the primer , unlike Red Cedar which is a pain in the ass  for this .
 I will set up for safety and continue to use it I think  Smile
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
I loved using cedar for lures, its got a natural water repelling oil in it, but I suffer hayfever and even wearing a good quality dust mask, developed an extreme allergic reaction to it. Like hayfever from hell. Thats why I cant use it anymore.
mdlures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
MD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:21am
I like using western red cedar, mainly on small fresh water lures. It's very easy to work with & is very light & buoyant but as stated, the dust is a nightmare. The upside is that the lures land with a very natural "plop" sound on the water - great for fish like JP's. I noticed black bean mentioned in there as well which would be typical LOL I've just made a couple of nudes from it. Thanks for posting that info Wal, something to think about ?

cheers
Mark
MDlures
traditional hand carved fishing lures
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:28am
 Nice little lures there mate , I like 'em Big smile
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:33am
Jeff,

I like using a cedar although not sure what variety for both nudes and topwaters. I think it is Western but don't know. I made a couple for swap 2 out of it and the shine along the grain line is great on nudes. For topwaters I find it is buoyant enough to give a nice action and sitting position but not soft like balsa.

Angus
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 8:02am
I like these two lures a lot...Mark.   cheers
cheers steiny
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 8:28pm
I'm just finishing re-doing my deck, with all western red cedar. It's definitely dustier than alot of other woods. It's beautiful stuff, but would be way too soft for me for lures. But then, some people use balsa. It all depends on what you want i guess. I have lots of leftovers, but i think i'm a little far away.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 4:22pm
I've been using WRC for yonks, it's beautiful timber to look at and work with and makes GREAT lures. I have all the dust extraction gear to keep the fine dust down to a minimum, plus wear a mask when cutting or sanding a lot of bodies.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 12:11pm
I started with wrc, it was great, did have a slight streangth issue on thin butted lures, would split sometimes, easy fix was to make tails thicker.
I found it made nice lures.
Now I nearly always use Indonesian white mahogany, for a lot of reasons, its great timber for lure making.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 3:42pm
I have soo many pieces left over from my deck, I stacked it all, knowing I'd find something to use it for.
this afternoon I decided to try a couple pieces for lures. I knew it would be a dream to work with, because of it's softness. luckily, I have no reaction to the fine dust it creates. and the bonus is the wonderful smell of the wood.
it's definitely a sander-friendly wood. I didn't even attempt to carve it, which is how I do my other lures. I have a disc/belt sander combo, and figured this would be the wood perfectly suited for that machine. wow. I cranked off four lures in no time. I might have found a new tool. although I truly love creating my lures all by hand, right down to the cutting of the tree itself, it was awesome how quickly the sander and cedar made everything. I think i'll pound out a whack of lures this way, to have a box full at the ready. there's days when I just want to paint and create patterns, and hand-carving just doesn't ever get a quantity built up.
it will be interesting to see how the cedar lures swim compared to the regular ones I make.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic