LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Trolling Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John F's DIY Offshore Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John F's DIY Offshore Lures
    Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:34pm
My philosophy in making lures has always been based on:

* Produce lures that catch fish (i.e. emphasis on fish "catch-ability" and not aesthetics);

* The lures must be cheap, easy and simple to make;

* Use as much as possible "waste" materials and recycle them into something useful.

Here are some of my creations...

Name:                           Bee queen

Head length (mm):       85
Head diameter (mm):   40
Head material:             125 mg/5ml bottle of Ranceph anti-biotic
Head insert:                 Flat decorative marbles
Head weight (g):          +/- 180
Head shape:                Concave pusher
Lure length (mm):        340

Inner skirt:                   Bicycle tubing
Outer skirt:                   Bicycle tubing

Rigging:                        Double mustad 10/0 hooks (Tuna bend), Pakula rig 60 degrees
Action:                          Skipping, splashing & diving; Side-to-side swimming; bubble trail; rattling
Position:                       Short corners/riggers

Target species:             Marlin
Species caught:            None (had two strikes already!)

John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:35pm
My wife came back from working 3 weeks in another town and brought me 8 of these...

Length: 40 mm
Diameter: 25 mm

I turned them into these....

Called them Nampula express.
Lures are keeled and the heads vary in weight: 40, 50, 55 and 60 gr and had 2 coats of yacht varnish

These were rigged with Pakula keel rigs on 6/0 and 8/0 Mustad hooks...

Hope to catch mainly YFT and dorado but the occasional sailfish will be mostly welcomed.

Haven't caught anything on them yet

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:37pm
great one mate,,Gary
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:39pm
Name:                     Superglue cap

Head length (mm):       40
Head diameter (mm):   8-12
Head material:             Alcolin pen superglue cap
Head insert:                 Small ball lead sinkers
Head weight (g):          +/- 15
Head shape:                Bullet
Lure lenght (mm):        150

Inner skirt:                King mackerel duster
Outer skirt:               Yamashita squid

Rigging:                    single 4/0 hook
Action:                      skiping & diving; darting
Position:                   long/short corners

Target species:        bonito, queen mackerel (yellowfin tuna?, dorado?, sailfish?)
Species caught:       none

John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 5:30pm
This is one of the easiest, if not the easiest, DIY lure I've ever made!

Get a canister of film (not so popular anymore, but you can still get it at the photo stores)...  for this purpose I've used the white one... I'm sure the black one will also be a killer!

Here's what I've used:

* 1 x canister of film (white)

* 1 x egg sinker (1 oz)

* 2 x squids (blue + white)

* 1 x egg sinker (1/2 oz)

* 1 x Johnnie Walker plastic insert 

* Super glue

* 2 m of 200 Lb leader

Drill/punch a dead-centered hole in the bottom of the canister (2 mm drill bit).... Stick some eyes on both sides and a few coasts of clear or yacht varnish...

Drill a hole in the plastic insert of the Johnnie Walker bottle (finish the bottle first ... make the lure the next day!)

Assembling the whole thing is easy. Just follow the order:

Leader -> canister -> 1 oz egg sinker -> blue squids -> white squid -> 1/2 sinker -> plastic insert.

The leader goes through all these and then connects to you favorite rig (single stiff; double, etc.).

A few drops of super glue should help secure the squids and plastic insert to the film canister. The plastic insert is used to "open" the squid's tentacles and helps to secure them to the canister! If you haven't got an insert, a cork can also be used...

This lure should run straight and like any other pusher, with an up/down action and good smoking trail...

Will soon give it a try and let you guys know!

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 5:57pm
LOLAhh a lure that involves a few scotches in the making!!!!!!!!....now you have our attention!!!

nice teasers john,
hope to see a few fish hanging off them in time
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:13pm
interesting stuff,your very clever JohnThumbs Up
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:52pm
John
Love it, great stuff.
I made up a few similar ones from a roll on deodorant bottle - the head comes out like a bullet head, great for tuna.
Matty
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 6:51am
Nice work there john,i have a few mates that chase the beakies they would love them i'd say..good work mate..Thumbs Up

Mick!!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 1:25pm
MATTY any pics of them or surface flys mateTongueREGARDS BOB
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm
Awesome! And I love the recycling!
I have made small stickbaits out of sparkly toothbrush handles in the past.
Not pretty but relatively effective.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 2:36pm
WinkI just love it and also beats the barrel sinker inserted into a clear fuel line which is cut diagonally to produce a concave headwith line running through the middle grab some waterproof textas add eyes gills scales etc etc with hooks tied at rear with light dressing and hang on........wicked bubble trail.......regards B.J.
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 11:40pm
Bob
Judy saw your request - stand by I will dig  one of the "Rexona rattlers" out of the bag an take a photo.
I made a 1/2 dozen of them up for a trip to Lord Howe 2 years ago - only 2 came home.
We caught at least 15 Wahoo over 25kg on them at Balls Pyramid.
P.M me your postal address and I will send a few surface flies over.

Regards
Matty
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 2:23am
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 3:51pm
Hello again!

Been away for a while dealing with a laptop crash and it's painfull consequences... anyway all good now (sort of)....

Just wanted to share a few more lures I've made from scratch.... poppers and stickbaits.... our season is just starting and hopefully very soon I'll be posting some pics of nice fish caught on these...

The stickbaits were made from an ordinary pine broomstick and through S/S-wired....

Poppers are all sorts of different "waste" timbers I found around the house...  broomstick pine, mahogany, mopane...

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 5:42pm
I can picture fish hanging off all of these, some great ideas there John.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 9:42pm
I really like the way you make the Lures of recycle materials. I am also a bit into that, and try to see Lure optins in every thing.  
Hope to see some good Fish on your great "low price" Lures  Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
retiredron View Drop Down

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 3:40pm
John F,  A few years back I made some soft headed lures from hypalon left over from my rod building. Made an insert ,first of timber on the lathe and then from nylon rod. Called them soft-top lures and they were very successful and even sold them though the tackle shops.
The fish struck-chewed and then turned away-
STRIKE and hookup was nearly always in the corner of the mouth
They were used for Marlin and Sailfish on the local Game boats.
Photos follow----
greybeard

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 3:51pm
greybeard

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 1:31am
Finally think I have found the way to upload multipul photos --Ron
greybeard
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 6:22am
Nice fish Greybeard !!!! Terriffic surface lures do u make any bibed lures u r very resourseful jf. cheers Dave Smile
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 8:42am
John, the lid pushed up into the canister to hold the skirt in, is it the same lid that would normally be found in the canister.
Would you need to heat, or boil in water for the last step to be achieved.

I came across someone selling the white and black canister recently , now no longer a common item to come across here in Aussie, interesting thread anymore home lure ideas..

Regards John

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 1:34am
Hi Dave,-- Yes I make a range of timber bibbed lures .See my site under Local Lures for a few of my range.  Regards  Ron 
greybeard
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:01am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

John, the lid pushed up into the canister to hold the skirt in, is it the same lid that would normally be found in the canister.
Would you need to heat, or boil in water for the last step to be achieved.

I came across someone selling the white and black canister recently , now no longer a common item to come across here in Aussie, interesting thread anymore home lure ideas..

Regards John

Hi,

No heating required. It is simply a matter of pushing it.

It's a plastic insert from a bottle of whisky!
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:01am
@retiredron,

Those look awesome!
John F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:20am
Made this one from a paintbrush handle...

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 7:43am
Outstanding  Thumbs Up even has provision for eyes and weight
What sort of action achieved.
Have you added side plates
Can you cast it from the shore or troll it behind a boat.
Any Fish captures

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2023 at 10:07am
cool lures for out the backStarStar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic