LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Batemans Bay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batemans Bay
    Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 8:41pm
This freshwater fisho is of to Batemans Bay Monday to have a go at fishing salt water , so my question is what the hell do l take over there Confused my bait casters with 30lb braid l use for casting spinnerbaits and my abu 's with 50 lb l use for trolling the murray , lm thinkin trout gear for lures and soft plastics chasing flatties and l got my hands on a surf rod Thumbs Up  so will be tryin that Shocked .
l will be takin one of my baitcasters  over as l have made some vibes and some (how can l say it ) spinnerbaits with a twist Wink 
As l have NEVER fished the NSW coast and have stuff all exp in salt water fish "whats the best plan of attack "?????????????????
 cheers Wrapper
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 9:34am
Will you have a boat?

If you do, head upstream to this point (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=batemans+bay&hl=en&ll=-35.704025,150.146027&spn=0.014027,0.033023&sll=-36.846683,146.696286&sspn=1.769331,4.22699&hnear=Batemans+Bay+New+South+Wales&t=m&z=16) where the river has a sharp bend, find the house on the Northern side of the river on the point and troll through the big whirlpools that form at the change of tides (at least the at the top anyway).

We had double, triple and even one quadruple hookup on tailor, salmon and trevally trolling metal slices and minnows through the edges of the moving water.

Other than that, I'm no help sorry.

Steve
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:01pm
Steve , not taking my boat just land base fishing unless l hire a boat up there , thanks for your help Clap
cheers wrapper
FLASH View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 5:55pm
Wrapper . My dad and i had a fish off the break wall just near the marine rescue building . lots of small flatties and a few slimmy macs . Another fella caught a couple of black fish with a typical blackfish rig . If you can get your hands on some live bait you can land some nice jewies from this spot a couple of hours either side of hightide . MAYBE night time .WinkWink .I recon you could get some bream up river with the right technique . Hire a boat . My dad is ageing sadly so i didnt get to do that but its not about catching . I find there is more to it then that . The company , sceanery , outdoors , the VIBE . Good luck big fella and i look forward to a report .
FLASH
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by wrapper wrapper wrote:

Steve , not taking my boat just land base fishing unless l hire a boat up there , thanks for your help Clap
cheers wrapper

I seem to remember passing a pub further upstream where kings way crosses the river (nelligen) that looked like there were some sand flats/river bank that might be wade-able, or you can cast some lures/baits at the bridge pylons. Might even be able to snag a hire canoe there too.

If all else fails, hit the pub Thumbs Up

There's also a heap of sand flats on the N side of the river down where the Pac Hwy crosses the river. I also landed a few bream off the rockwall on the S side of the river in town soaking the good ol' prawn tail.

If you're not a member of NearMap, sign up and check it out as it has really good resolution images around that area.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 8:42pm

Wrapper-
Unfortunately not quite, BUT nearly in my back yard.
Bream and Flttie gear (bait casters and thread lines- 5-10lb), no surf in BB but if you go North or South some great beaches--Clyde River is pristine, and if you travel by boat up from BB the oyster racks are a great place to start for Bream (with plastics/ vibes or small neutral lures {Jap}) , OR further up to Nelligen (boat ramps there) go up from the bridge, some good bream around the banks under mangroves- best Bream I have ever caught have come from up there (45cm up), not lots of them but they can get BIG- --Bait-fresh green prawns, it's just off a dark so you should be able to buy some there- otherwise go to the supermarket and buy some from the deli and cut them in halves LOL. It's a hot / cold time of year though.
Pete
P.S--Like Flash says , Jewies, at night, probably under the bridge best.
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 9:25pm
Flash,Pete and Steve thanks for the tips and if l do no good l will check the pub out LOLLOL 
l've made my own vibes so looking foward too see how they go and some small spinnerbaits 1/0 hooks, long skirts 2/0 stingers with soft plastics see how l go
cheers wrapper  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic