LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

painted eyes help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: painted eyes help
    Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:56pm
ok guys , I can't seem to find it , painted eyes , how the hell do you guys get it so neat , would someone be kind enought to post some photos on how it is done , I seem to smudge it all the time ,

Thanks  Ian
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:59pm
dont do it pissed RED,,that will help,,,Gary
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:07pm
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:08pm
I've seen something about this before, pretty sure it's all about getting the thickness of your paint right and using a nail head.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:10pm
Ian, I use the top end of el cheapo paint brushes trimmed off. The trick of being neat (I stuff up a bit as well) is to only load the stick with enough paint to do 1 eye at a time, if the blob is too big, dab a little off first. I support the lure and use a signwriters stance (pinkie on the other end of the lure for a pivot) and do 1 decisive dab.
One trick I do do, is allow the paint to slightly thicken so I don't get any runs as it dries.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:11pm
it is amazing how much like Homer RED looks,,Gary
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:19pm
the fish aren't art critics
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:21pm
Id prefer the paint to be thinner...gently dip your stick/nail whatever you use in the paint.....when dabbing the eye on....gently goes....do not dab with weight so that the stick touches the lure....dab only till the paint touches then pull away immediately...if its thick it will part with the stick leaving a mound....so room temp is good....or a bit warmer....summer nights perfect.
be patient and do not touch again till completely dry.
I know little but I got dots sortedSmile
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 8:47pm
Nicho has the technique, I was scared the first couple times but with practice you get better. I use the cheapo paint brushes cut to the size I want as Darby has said.

I tried stick ons, I don't like them, much prefer the paint way. Well that's what I think...

Cheers

Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:04pm
ok , should I let the first dop dry first then do the second one . ?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:06pm
YES
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:08pm
Thanks Jason , that is where I have being going wrong , Thumbs Up
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 9:45pm
Ian I use cotton buds, they don't move around on your work and you can vary the size of the dots easily and there cheap, they also leave a neat uniform eye. I also slightly thin my paint, regards Chris
Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 11:37pm
If you use paint brush handles you can get the size you want by using a pencil sharpener if the handles are to big for the size of the eye`s you want, leave one end big for the first dot, one end smaller for the second dot,  cheers Bryan.
HANDCARVED and HANDMADE TIMBER LURES
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 12:42am
That's one stuffed on . Could be the turps as I seem to do eyes with a bottle of scotch . Now it's changed with me as some great makers have made me learn ... When onto it will tell you no probs . Give he a few weeks as just got home .... Cheers Aaron
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:17pm
Ian I use the blunt end of drill bits so that I have a range of sizes. The amount of paint on the drill bit is critical so I load up with without dipping the the whole bit into the paint and blot of excess on a sheet of newspaper until there is a slight dome effect on the end of the drill and apply without actually touching the lure with the drill bit. I allow 24hrs between application and quite frequently apply eyes a number of times b4 I am happy. Drives the Missus around the bend, I am reportedly Toooo FussyWink
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 11:46pm
Like the drill bit idea.
I bought a templet for doing chicks fingernails that have all sorts of cool designs, including ovals and circles and dots and stuff!
Usethe air brush, and allow a few minutes each eye.
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 12:06am
stick on eyes
glue on moving eyes
hot melt jewel eyes
paint on eyes are fourth on my list
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic