LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From Timber to Photo to 3D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Timber to Photo to 3D
    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 7:34pm
Hi All,

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this post ( I heard that ), so thought here was as good a place as any.

I just thought would share with you all another option with lure making.

Example being if you have carved that perfect shaped lure and wanted to then have it replicated for a mold or even just transferred into an STL file format where you can make slight changes at the click of a button and then have them 3D printed ( YES you can 3D print a lure that will handle punishment ), then below is an example of what's possible once you have the programming skills.

The 1st two pictures are of an actual timber lure that was used for this post, then the 3rd image is how it looks once run through one set of programming, with the final picture being that of the lure transformed into a 3D printable format.

Yeah I couldn't think of anything else to post :

Feel free to ask any questions about the process if anyone`s interested.

Cheers
Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 1:33pm
That's very interesting Steve! Have you had a crack at pumping one of these out of a 3D printer?

Cheers 

Dan
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 2:20pm
Hi Dan,

Have printed plenty using this technology as its possible to get the printed version 100 % dimensionally accurate when compared to the original item, just takes a bit of tweaking through various programs. You don't need an expensive set up, just need the perseverance to learn the appropriate software.

I prefer my lures to be made out of other materials, although all sizes can be made strong enough by altering the wall thickness of the model once its been converted to a file format. All of my prototypes are 3D printed versions used for field testing, and the FT70 version is all 3D printed with internal strengthening.

With hand made lures its often necessary once a computer generated file has been made of the model to cut the completed model file in half, then mirror the half and re join them together to ensure 100 % symmetry.

Really the only limitations are your creativity / imagination.

Oh and a good dose of stubbornness goes a long way

I give full credit to anyone that hand makes lures from timber, but I must also state that there is hours worth of cad designing work involved in creating functional 3D lures from scratch, and even then you still have to sand them just like timber versions.

Cheers
Boony View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:27pm
Looking good and very interesting.

Can I get a bit of clarity of your process.

Are you using a 3D scanner of you timber original?
Or trying to recreate the original in cad software yourself?

Cheers
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 5:43pm
Hi,

I use photogrammetry which basically involves taking photographs of the lure and then running them through various programs until desired result is achieved.

Most items still require some manual CAD design work to ensure an accurate end result.

Cheers
Steve
Boony View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 6:23pm
Ah I see now. Very cool!!!

Can we see some pictures of the printed lures?

Also, what type of plastic are you printing with?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 6:46pm
This technology is developing fast especially for those who have the brain power to learn it. Unfortunately I am technologically deficient.             Congrats to you for preserving 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:31am
your a clever fella Steve i take my hat off to you.Can you make perfect copies of this lure in different sizes from the initial scans?
that's no how ye make porridge!
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 6:11pm
Hi All,

Sorry gave my PC a total overhaul so took awhile to get it all back together again.

You can make perfect copies of an original to scale, just takes some patience whilst learning all the do`s and don'ts of it all. Once you have the completed electronic model you can scale up or down with a 100% imitation profile of the original.

I have replicated a few lures for people so they could be converted to an electronic file that can then be used in either lure turning machinery or for reverse engineering to make molds from the files. The technology is a bit too accurate as it will actually replicate even the smallest indentation in the wood grain, but you just use the model in another program to smooth anything out after the initial model has been created.

Will post pics of printed lure this evening as about to go out.

You can easily reverse engineer your model to assist in making your own molds at home, as the image demonstrates.

Cheers
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic