LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Fysshe Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fysshe Lures Win '98 SEQC&R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fysshe Lures Win '98 SEQC&R
    Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 12:51pm

Going through and old trunk, I found this article on the 1998 South East Queensland Catch and Release. A few names mentioned here still kicking around the scene and active in lure making and collecting.

Good to see Fysshe Lures caught the most fish, with seven of the top ten lures Aussie made. Fysshe himself nearly won the comp individually out of a big field of 123 anglers!

I have broken it down to three pics, to make it hopefully easier to read.

Full article

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm
Ahh! Those were the days Matt! Smile Had to work hard to find fish in amongst a couple hundred boats!! Shocked But I think I had an advantage living pretty close and fishing it quite a lot... Wink Got lucky the next year and won the Mal Florence award.. Embarrassed My Somerset range of lures were designed and tested there during the early 90's and still work well there today...

Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 1:54pm
I see my old mate Tony Robinson in ninth place and Rob Duncan in 15th wow that is a blast from the past Matt and I remember Fysshe's lures being the talk of the town (Ipswich) for quite a few years after this,not bad for a cottage maker up against so many bigger makers
that's no how ye make porridge!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 2:05pm
Well done Ian...and to Matt for sharing this report.
cheers steiny
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:03pm
Hey Ian, You were going well! and well done in 99! I got posted to Darwin for 99 and 2000, so missed out on what was happening in SE QLD. Can you put up some closer pics of that article, I would love to have a read.

Your Somerset's were one of my favourites back then, although I seem to be doing better in Somerset on the Cresbrooks in the last couple of trips.

Puglee, I knew Tony and his Dad (Alvey Boys) well from these comps and the Stessl series around 2001 to 2003, I think.

Thanks Steiny, its good to have somewhere to share this info, where it is appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 6:35pm
Matt, your story was for the'97 comp, I got the Mal Florence trophy in '98. I think my lures topped the chart in 4 or 5 consecutive tournaments, although I had quite a few good anglers using my product! Wink It was a shame that Brett was hobbled in the '97 comp as he had done well the year before. (I think I saw Murphy hanging around the back of his boat on the Thursday night) Ermm
Fysshe
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:14pm
Lots of names I know in that list of winners. Those were the good old days Smile

Brett has always had a boat problem when least appreciated. I remember well a B.A.S.S comp @ Glenbawn, Brett ended up with a decent stress crack along the keel in his Aquamaster battle tub.
Was letting gallons of water in every hour of practice....Unhappy
Not being able to get it welded on Friday arvo, I think he applied about a shelfs worth of silastic and fished closer waters to the base camp... Hard to keep a good man down LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:28pm
Woops, yep November 97. Article was in QFM Jan 98. I probably have the 98 report somewhere too.
I can't remember what happened, lucky these thing are recorded in print to bring back the memories.
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 7:55pm
Brad, they were great times! And Brett had a knack of being at or near the top of the leaderboard. I reckon he'd still give the current crop a run for their money if he wanted to.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:40pm
I hope Brett has a new boat by now! You could hear that old Mariner coming a mile away!! Or see the smoke... LOL
I found a couple of old tournament report and scanned them as best I could. I can't seem to rotate them though! Confused

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
Unfortunately, the resolution isn't all that good! Cry The laminated copy will be worse but I'll see how it looks..

Fysshe
colin eckter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin eckter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:39pm
Lures that good have to work , bloody ripper Ian .
gday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic