LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clips, yes or no ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 12:08pm
Nice barra there Lofty, Ive had a few clips open as well, but still landed the fish, it happens/
Id say you probably did close it properly. Its not uncommon for clips to open.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 12:58pm
Fished a lot of clips in Brazil (since we were fishing wire on everything - the one time I couldnt be bothered tying on wire I lost one of Nicho's creations first cast...)
Caught some quite large fish on them and had a few bent/open while landing a fish but didn't lose any directly to clip failure. Actually had more issues with the trace wire in the premade rigs... Wont buy/trust those again...
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 2:06pm
Good quality egg snaps for me for general lure casting, have had a bill norman clip half undo itself on a flathead(didn't lose the fish) so wont use them again. I find the hawaian clips a bit more cumbersome to use but they appear to be bulletproof, just not as easy to use as the egg snaps
Steve R.
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:22pm
Speed clips for me because I can put them on and take them off in complete darkness with ease and never lost a fish on one...yet. For cod fly fishing I use the egg snaps (mostly) or high quality round snaps but have been using one of those snaps that Nicho linked to for a while. Tried some W snaps, but because I only catch huge fish (yeah right LOL), they kept pulling the ends closer together so they were easy to open.

I've taken to running a small piece of silicon tubing over the snap when I remember to stop them opening up when they're not supposed to Thumbs Up
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 2:32pm
Thoughts on Mustad Fastach clips? Mustad Ultra Point Quick Lock Fastach Snap Clip
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm
I use them a lot, both the straight clips and the ones with the swivel.

Haven't had any problems with them.

L4
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 5:45pm
Cheers, LucThumbs Up
I use small ones on soft plastics for flathead and they work well. I was wondering how the big ones go on larger lures for mackerel and the like.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:32pm
I have refined my use of clips. Stay away from the cheap ones though as if you trawl through my posts in “ luring Cooktown “ you will see that I’ve had a lot of failures.

If I’m chasing big fish, or expecting big fish I tie a loop knot or for very big fish I and using 80 pound plus leader I crimp the lure on.

But I also use terminal tackle to alter the characteristics of the lure. If I will change from trebles to singles on one or more hook hangers to make the lure more or less buoyant and how I want it to sit in the water. Sometimes I’ll use an oversized clip and huge swivel to dig the nose down more on a small lure or if fishing from a height.. I don’t trust clips, but the dearer ones are more reliable.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:15am
I have used the Mustad Fastach quite a lot in small and large sizes and found them very strong and reliable, only issues I have had with them is I have lost a couple of Hot Bite Spoons fishing in the dams.
When cast they have managed to twist in such away they come off the clip, much to the amusement of
my fishing mate! LOL
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 12:37pm
I’m starting to use those Mustads now. A bit hard to get at times up here. Because I’m left handed it has taken me quite a while to train myself into putting the lure on “ right handedly”. A couple of people on site would have seen me struggling with them. But they are very strong and once I got used to them, they are very easy.
Martin-

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 3:58pm
Thanks, Harte & HHBeer
I'll get a couple of packets of bigger ones for the hardbodiesBig smile
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 10:01pm
Been using these a lot especially on small (micro) Bream lures, they don't effect the action like normal lure clips (with a flat plate) do--They work well on larger lures too, never had one let go'
The down side is with the smaller ones you need a pair of needle pliers to attach/remove them. Big smile.

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 7:45am
WOW Pete they are small 
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Been using these a lot especially on small (micro) Bream lures, they don't effect the action like normal lure clips (with a flat plate) do--They work well on larger lures too, never had one let go'
The down side is with the smaller ones you need a pair of needle pliers to attach/remove them. Big smile.

they look good pete i use a similiar style never had a drama with them.
where did you source those? i think i want some.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic