LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing old Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing old Paint
    Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 8:54am
G'day fellas being new to this site I am not up to date with info that has been laid down in the past.

I have read a few sections on cleaning lures back to original.  I spent quite a few years in the paint industry and Caustic Soda was often used as a paint remover.  There are no guarantees when it comes to surface coatings as you don't know what has gone on in the past

To give you an example if you had a factory finished car and an old sign writer did some work on the doors and years later you wanted to remove it then you would use a Caustic Soda mix and be ready to neutralize with water.  

Now if the car had been repaired at some time with air dry enamels then you would run into a problem, that's where the water is necessary.  So no guaranties but it may be handy to have on hand to restore that valuable lure. As with all chemicals there are safety precautions to follow.

In most situations like this you would find a reduction of gloss in areas hit by the paint remover so you would want to follow up with a clear coating.

Regards Gordon
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:55pm
g'day Gordon, how do the polycarbonate bibs stand up to the caustic ? i know commercial paint stripper and also thinners melts them.            Chris

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 4:00pm
I would say it would probably attack it as I think it is a component of some of the paint strippers.

I don't have any but if some one could give it a test and place it on here it could help a few in the future.

Gordon
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 7:12pm
definately worth a tryThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic