LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Resin Bibs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobiepaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Resin Bibs?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 9:01pm
Inspired by some of the awesome howtos on this forum I poured my first resin lure tonight. I have also carved some timber ones but got frustrated by not being able to source all the bits I need to finish them off and decided to have a go at the resin option with a view to carving my own design and making a mould of anything that proves successful in the future.

Having finished both a one-part and a two-part silicon mould I tried unsuccessfully to source some acrylic over the weekend for bibs and decided to pour one today anyway.

Unfortunately I didnt correctly calculate the right amount of resin and came up short during the pouring stage. Luckily it seemed to expand enough to fill the mould body but didnt have enough to fill the entire bib cavity. When I popped it out, the majority of the bib was intact and I was able to trim it down to a useable shape after a bit of touchup sanding. I havent weighed it yet to see if I had too little or too much Q-cel.

Im quite pleased with the result overall and looking at the resin bib it seems as though it will be strong enough to do its job once fully cured. It seems a really easy option when not wanting to use a bib blank to try different bibs.

Is there a downside to using resin bibs? Most bibs are clear though I have noticed many use ali bibs. Will a coloured bib make it less attractive to fish or is it just the fisherman that are put off by the coloured bib?

Will the resin be less rigid than acrylic preventing it from being trolled at higher speeds?

SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 7:00am
You have done a good job there mate by the looks of it...can't help ya with any of ya questions but interested to see how it goes...keep us posted Paul...

Mick!!!
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:56am
i assume that is easy cast resin paul , and of course you can pour a resin bib i did some in the nineties but they were a lot thicker than yours , i would say being that thin might be a problem strength wise theres one under my lures in the qld section you can look at if you want with a moulded bib dont worry about the bib being painted as well not an issue buy the way thats a nice mould you have made, pearcey
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 1:54pm
Paul,

I've cast a few lures and dont use the resin for the bib. I dont think the color will matter, as you say there are plenty of lures out there with painted or ali bibs. Its just my opinion, however, would be very concerned about the rock / obstruction aspect of fishing. I would think it fine under normal cast retrieve, just when it hits something. Have to ever poured out a thin section and tried to break it? You might be surprised. Next lure you make just make a bit extra resin and poor it on the table, it will flatten out like a biscuit. For the urethanes I have used (65D up to 80D hardness), you can snap it very easily, hence why I stay away from it.

Angus
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 2:37pm
Paul I did molded stuff late 80s and the resin bib in that thickness does break fairly easily when it hits something hard eg;- stump,rock etc but just glue it back with super glue if you have the bits, but I would do what the other fellas are telling you mate and you certainly will be on the right trackThumbs Up
PS they look really good mateClapClap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 6:43pm
that has come out very tidy paul...well done mate, id llike to try a few moulds as a change one day, youve done well.
As for the bib, paint it or not...doesnt matter put the lure in the right spot and it will get hit...painted or not.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hobiepaulo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobiepaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:59pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I tried it in the pool tonight and realised I havent added enough q-cel. With both hooks on, it sinks like a stone. One treble in the middle and a jig hook on the back and it suspends at troll depth when you stop.
Does anyone know of a chart\formula that relates the amount of q-cel to the reduction in weight of resin when mixed in?

Everyone has pretty much confirmed what I had thought about the strength of resin bibs. I will source some acrylic ones before pouring again. 

Angus\Gary, rocks and structure shouldnt be a problem as I mostly troll behind my kayak in the ocean. Heres a pic of the GF with the usual target.

Pearcey, I am using Easy Cast. It doesnt seem as though it will stand up to too many teeth. Do you know of a a resin that cures harder and as easy to use as the Easy cast stuff?

Can anyone tell me whether I need to undercoat resin lures like the timber ones? Is there any paint types I should avoid?

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 9:59pm
Paul when I was doing em I would undercoat just like my wood ones, the Q-cel thing for me was a trial and error and write my findins down, as there was nothing around in those days I am sure that it would be different now. Nice fish man Clap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 1:41pm
paul and sergio heres a pic of some lures made from easy cast resin and the mould its good to work with allowing different weights of lures using the q cells the small lures usually end sinking once you add the split rings and hooks but the bigger one in the pic floats most importantly the first thing i would get is a humidity gauge as they are all prone to moisture easy cast is not meant to foam if it does then it is contaminated and useless any days with more than 50% humidity dont pour wait until its right then pour a lot allow the resin to set for 2 days and then clean  the lures with a soap mixture do  not clean with thinners then you can spray with auto acrylic surface primer then paint hope this helps, pearcey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic