LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Killalure
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Killalea "C" Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Killalea "C" Lures
    Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 11:41am
As the title says, I have three of these. They are 6 inches long not including the bib, 7.5 including. I'm sure I have seen them before, but cannot remember the name.

Cheers,
Dave.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 11:46am
It's a "C" Lure shape Dave Thumbs Up

The earlier C Lures have writing under the bib, and the later ones have a sticker under the bib (which has possibly fallen off at some stage by the sound of it)

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 11:52am
Thank Tony.

No writing or stickers so must be a later one. Looks like they have been rigged for chasing mackerel as the other two have big heavy wire traces on them.

Cheers,
Dave.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm
Could this possibly be a Killalure C Lure (6CL01) from when Dave Killalea got the right from Carl Grist

(only for the 6 inch) for a short while.The yellow eyes with black pupil forward look Killalure,

or did Carl Grist do eyes like this as well?

What colour are your other 2 lures Dave? Could see if they are in my old catalogue which I will try

to scan up to Tony tonight.

Cheers,Jim
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm
Hi Jim,

Thanks - the catalogue picture will be great!

I didn't know that Dave Killalea had licence to make them.

You might be on to something, I had a look at a few of my C Lures and Killalures and there are certain aspects that support what you suggested as a possibility.

I took a pic of a 6" Barra Bait and a few early C Lures for comparison - not perfect I know but gives an idea. (I realised after I put the lures back away I would probably have been smarter to get a pic of some later C Lures instead)

The early C Lures have both black and white and black and yellow eyes - In my collection I would say the Black and Yellow seem to be the earlier ones? (guess on my part only)

The pupils on these are a mixture of centered and towards the front, although most seem larger than the lure Dave has posted.

The later C Lures by Selwyn Wendt, Bruce Rampton, and Dominic Fry tend to have smaller pupils similar to the eyes in the lure Dave has shown, and whilst nmost are Black/White eyes some were Black/Yellow

So the eyes could go either way I guess? However the paint pattern certainly has a Dave Killalea look to it....

Cheers, Tony

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by murraycod murraycod wrote:

Could this possibly be a Killalure C Lure (6CL01) from when Dave Killalea got the right from Carl Grist

(only for the 6 inch) for a short while.The yellow eyes with black pupil forward look Killalure,

or did Carl Grist do eyes like this as well?

What colour are your other 2 lures Dave? Could see if they are in my old catalogue which I will try

to scan up to Tony tonight.

Cheers,Jim

I've posted the Catalogue up, thank you Jim, you're a champion Clap

Here's a link to the Killalure Catalogue which includes the Dave Killalea made "C" Lure  http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1086&title=killalure-catalogue

I think you're right Jim, looks like it might be a David Killalea made C Lure

Cheers, Tony

davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:33am
Awesome. I love the old Killalures, so these will fit into the collection perfectly.

I have two of the colour pictured - 6CL01, and the other looks like 6CL04, though the one in the catalogue looks to have a darker back than mine, could just be the picture though.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dave.
davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:12pm
Here is a pic of the three of them together, as well as a couple of pics of the different coloured one.

Cheers,
Dave.

Bruce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 10:17pm
From my recollection both Dave and Carl made these lures. When I made them we called them "Outsiders"
Bruce R
The Teacher
The lure of the sport
Bruce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 10:19pm
The ones in the photo are Dave Killaleas identified by his distinctive scale pattern of the time.
The lure of the sport
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 4:28pm
Speaking to Carl awhile ago, he told me that one way to tell Daves ones from his, was to look straight down the lure body. The Killas will have a slight bend to the right! I just got this one recently, orange with silver spots. I haven't come across this colour before...

Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic