Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures > JD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JD LURES production line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

BEWARE - SCAMMER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JD LURES production line
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:29pm
Hey Guys,

For those who don't frequent other sites that I have posted this. In December 2009 I had the pleasure of a trip to Tasmania under the hospitality of Jamie Harris of JD Lures. Jamie really laid it on for me and I had an awesome time (I've never eaten scotch fillet and t bone steaks on the same fishing trip before!! I couldn't believe it when the first night by a highland lake he tells me to get out of the esky whatever I want for tea and I see t bones and scotch fillets in there!!). The main purpose of my trip was to catch my first ever trout (we got 12 before breakfast on day one before they shut down) but I also spent a night at Jamie's house and spent an afternoon playing in the workshop.

The workshop as it was when we walked in - a load of lures just needing hooks ready to go off to a store.....

Jamie then showed me through the process of painting up a few lures. He got out 5 of his 85mm Super Bugs and did some Phantoms...

Applying the pink under coat.

All pinked up

Now all lined up ready for the next colour!!

Applying the purple. I was amazed at how quickly Jamie did this yet they all looked almost identical!!

Applying the black scale pattern....

A closer look of doing the purple on the other side

Purple spray on top - its just incredible how quickly this was done too, yet it looks so good!!!

The all important eyes!!

Black part of the eyes

Clear coat.... this gives you an idea of how much of this stuff was in the air.... the fans were running flat out.... no wonder lure makers are so strange with this gear going through their bodies all day! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

All lined up and painted!!

Applying the glossy finish!

The day before i left Jamie did me up some 65 bugs to take home...

TESTING IN THE SWIM TANK

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 5:28pm
Thanks for posting this up Nathan, it's always interesting to see our talented Aussie Luremakers at work Thumbs Up

I had the pleasure of chatting to Jamie last year when I was after some info on his lures, what a helpfull bloke, and his lures are great.

It sounds like a fantastic trip, between the good company, good food, and plenty of fish what more could a bloke want!
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 10:41pm
He certainly is a helpful bloke, he went out of his way to offer advice on paints and gear when I got in to the cottage making industry! Clap
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 11:50pm
thats certainly one very proffessional set up Jamie has there,i like the use of fly vices to hold the lures still while he paints them.spraying that clear on without a mask is a bit of a worry thoughShocked
Mr_Willy View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

BEWARE - SCAMMER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

thats certainly one very proffessional set up Jamie has there,i like the use of fly vices to hold the lures still while he paints them.spraying that clear on without a mask is a bit of a worry thoughShocked

LOL

I did ask him about that at the time and he said he ALWAYS wears safety gear - gloves, masks, aprons but because he was only doing a couple for me to see how it works he didn't worry about it....

LOL
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:38pm
Hi Nathan, Ito use a fly vice to hold my lures in while painting . I have small racks that hold five lures with a pin that goes through the rack and the Vice clamps onto that. By the way thats a well set up workshop my hat is off to J.D.ClapClapClapClapWinkWinkWink  Regards Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Mr_Willy View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

BEWARE - SCAMMER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 2:02pm
As Jamie would be the first to admit, I would imagine some of the other guys would have far more extravagant set ups, but Jamie tells me that when he is really going he can pump out 200 or more lures very very quickly.... I think he said in the time he did the 6 85 bugs while i was there he could probably do 40 or 50....
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 10:48pm

A really interesting post, certainly a well organised little workshop and good to see the way Jamie does his work.  Thanks for the pics and the story, certainly sounds like you had a good trip.  And bought back some great souveniersl.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 2:37pm
I picked this up today via Aussie post.

Has JD on it but not sure if it is!
The Journey is the Reward

pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 5:56pm
Its a custom craft Barry...Nev
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 7:02pm
Nev,
Barry has the same trouble identifing Cod lures as the southerners have with Barra Lures ConfusedConfusedConfused

might be a coincidence that there are the initials JD under there, or is there a story Barry ???

Darbs
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 11:40pm
Clap that would have been so interesting having a look through a workshop like that thanks for sharing
                   cheers wrapper
JD LURES View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

JD/Eddy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD LURES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 6:15pm
LOL
See Willy's been here giving away all my secrects Wink

Dont know what the JD on that lure stands for mate but its definatelly not about me LOL

JD
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:33am
I think BARRYS been hiting the bannana dackerese AGAIN or them mango margaritas............WinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic