LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Killalure
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killalure Proto ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killalure Proto ?
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:40pm
Picked up this little lure today from a bloke who used to knock around with Dave Killalea's kids when they were all young tackers. He swears it's a killa and the eyes and paint seem to concur but the shape is a new one on me . The same bloke traded me the trio in the bottom pic a few months ago .

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 8:51pm
Looks like a nice find Mick..well done mate! It is a cool little lure for sure.
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 9:04pm
how cool is that little lure.....i want it.......character
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 3:09pm
Mick, looks like Daves painting style. Like most lure makers we dabble with different designs that never see the light of day! Probably end up in the kids tackle box! I like the small herring style of lures and have just done a couple for my mate after seeing his old Damper Diver. They turned out ok and we will try them on the Barra next month...Smile
Fysshe
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 3:53pm
Cheers fellas , wow those little fellas look great Ian , hard to imagine barras not nailing them around the channel with that shape and colour . The little 'Killa' is more of a golfball than a herring , I should have thrown this pic up as well .

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 4:00pm
A real candidate for Jenny Craig that one. LOL Would cast well though!
Fysshe
eddiefish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 3:55pm
G'day Mick,

I remember having a couple of those little babies at one stage and yes, they were something Dave was playing around with for a little while but obviously didn't happen.

Sadly, gave mine away with a huge bunch of other lures a long while back.

Cheers Eddie
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 4:13pm
Thanks Eddie , it's always good to get more confirmation . Bet you regret giving those lures away mate . You've been tied up with fishing in Townsville for longer than I can remember, you must have had some cracking lures in your time .
eddiefish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by micknq micknq wrote:

Cheers fellas , wow those little fellas look great Ian , hard to imagine barras not nailing them around the channel with that shape and colour . The little 'Killa' is more of a golfball than a herring , I should have thrown this pic up as well .

Funnily enough Mick, Dave really loved his golf... and still does  Big smile

I do occasionally regret giving all those lures away, although the fellas that recieved them really did appreciate the gesture and caught some ripper fish Thumbs Up
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 2:40pm
Hi Mick

Yeah that was something we were playing with at one stage only made a couple of dozen at the time, didn't like the action.  Couldn't even say it was a prototype really.  Probably mid to late eighties I think.

Regards
Dave K
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 3:44pm
Cheers Dave , and welcome to the site . This is the same lure that Ron F sent you a picture of a while back . Interesting to note that I know at least one other member also has one of these models although in a different colour . I find a lot of your originals in the Townsville area , and still supply a couple of mates with certain models that they swear by to fish with , but I don't give them mint ones Wink . Thanks for the info mate , Mick . 
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 4:22pm
Mick,those small killa's i got from me mate is the same shape as the bottom one in the picture of three but they're only 4cms long with shallow bib....Does anyone know how many were made????? B.J.
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 4:50pm
Hi B.J.

They were called "Bass Bait".  There were quite a few made.

Regards
Dave K
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 4:56pm

Thanks Mick.

We were playing around with different production techniques when those bodies were done.  As I say we only did a couple of dozen at the most.

It just amazes me how much interest there is in old lures...and old luremakers. LOL 

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 5:20pm
G'day Dave, welcome to the site. You'll have a chuckle when you read some of the old posts on your lures!! LOL The early ones being hand made with slight differences had a few scratching their heads!!  Happy reading. Cheers IAN
Fysshe
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 5:37pm
Thanks Ian

It's been real interesting alright...LOL

Cheers Dave K
Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:15pm
@Dave
Always good to get the REAL info from the fella's that built them.
Nice to have you here.

@Mick
Nice to know that we have a couple of rare ones.Big smile
Laurie.
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:01pm
Cheers, I'm always willing to help if I can. Memory isn't that good anymore...she's getting older too! LOL
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:12am
G'day Dave, nice to see you on LL, suppose Cranky had something to do with it LOL. Always loved your timber lures, caught my biggest salty barra casting one of your 3" BarraBaits shallow, many moons ago.
Have a question for you, years ago came across two lures, one since given to Barry, we thought they may have been very early prototypes, a positive 'yes or no' from you would be great, found in Darwin, can't remember when, possibly late 80's to early 90's, 3" long, Barry's one is in blue, same pattern.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
BlueyNT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueyNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:44pm
That looks like a Blinkys lure.

kev
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:12pm
Hi Tony,

Yeah Barry made me aware of the site.

That's a copy of our 3" Barra bait done in the early 80,s. The paint is different to ours, the eyes are different and the bib angle is different.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Dave K
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:28pm
That looks a lot like a killalure. It is a close copy.

Any idea who made it Dave?
cheers steiny
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 9:55am
Thanks for the ID Dave, looks like it goes into the 'unknown' box then, unless you know who the maker was?
When I first found it, thought it may have been an early Magnetic Is. era Knols, due to shape and eyes, don't know if he ever did any before using the metal foil? Mystery remains along with many other FNQ timber barra lures I have.
Regards, Seaweed.
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 11:37am
There is a long story behind that particular lure.

Short version.
We couldn't keep up with the demand for the 3BB in the N.T. and an enterprising gentleman in Darwin got a bloke in Melbourne to copy them, which wasn't a problem except they called them "Barra Baits" which was a registered trade mark.  I don't know how many were made and to my knowledge the guy who was making them didn't make anymore after we "talked".
As an aside; the Melbourne bloke was a nice guy and an innocent party, the Darwin bloke should have known better.  My advice to budding luremakers, Register your names at least!

That incident was probably the catalyst for us moving from cottage industry to serious commercial production.

Jeff Reid had a similar thing happen to him.

Regards
Dave K
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 12:00pm
Thanks heaps for that information Dave....Bass Baits well I'm gonna re-hook em up and see what the local bass think of them.....My mate said to say G'day as he got 3 off you on the daly river crossing many many moons ago.....They caught little barras to lots of them he reckons!!!!! Just a bit more info for you I caught my first lure caught fish (flathead) on a red/black bream bait.....Unfortunely someone knocked off me tackle box sometime later and I was never able to find bream baits again.....I am willing to swap some 3 inch barra baits for one or two if possible though..... regards B.J.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:13pm
Very interesting story Dave, I'll just label it, 'Unknown Killalure Copy' LOL.
Thanks for the feedback.
Seaweed.
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 4:41pm
Hi B.J.

You probably won't believe this but I've got almost no lures at all anymore, I cleaned out the shed and gave a bloke in Mt Isa a box full when I was living out there a couple of years ago.  Much to my wife's disgust, they were the last I had.

I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone to make a swap with you though.

Cheers
Dave K
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 12:00pm
Dave I got plenty of your lures mate mostly timber if you want any back for nostalgia I'm only too happy to send you some for nothing.....Besides they're only hanging on the loungeroom wall collecting dust mate.....As for getting a bream bait I doubt it I've asked before with no replies.....regards B.J.
Lureman View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lureman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 4:42pm
Thanks B.J., that's a really generous offer and I really appreciate it. You hang on to them I haven't put a line in the water since 2005, too busy trying to get my handicap down.

I'll ask a mate of mine if he's got any, he had more lures than we had in the factory. LOL  I'll let you know as soon as he gets back from Vietnam.  They went over for ANZAC day.

Cheers mate and thanks again
Dave K
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic