LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XOS Gutless frogs for cod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XOS Gutless frogs for cod
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 5:42pm
Tied these to match the large jitterbug (100mm body) we've had a lot of success on lately. They shift a bit of water on landing and retrieve and take about 1min to tie each, so good for sending into tiger country.

Semi-articulated hook with a hawaiian snap off the eylet to give a bit of extra length to the shank and I can try various angles or upright/inverted. An articulated version is on the cards as I'm a big fan of jointed surface lures - particularly on the hang as they seem to have a slightly better hookup ratio.

Might get me kicked out of the 'match the hatch' school, but if it doesn't work I'll eat them myself LOL

Steve
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 6:04pm
Now that's different, definitely left of centre thinking Steve Thumbs Up
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 6:20pm
Brad

I certainly can't claim originality, it's a Rob Meades creation but I've only ever seen it tied in life-ish sizes. Was tying up some bendy roller poppers and though I could simply XOS the same idea.

Could have done with one a few weeks ago when my uncle left me for dead fishing the big JBs and I was left with small poppers Cry

Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 6:41pm
no reason why you couldnt melt/glue a paddler bib on that tubing  and run wire through it/tow point(a hole in the bib) to increase action....a small split shot at the rear on the stainless  ? hanging on 20mm of stainless attatched to a split ring...then the hook..to counterwait bib...just a thought
looks good though....simple things work best.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 9:25pm
Nicho

no reason why it wouldn't work, but it makes a good racket already and I like to keep things simple. I might give it a shot at a later date though.

The good news is I don't have to eat it, I ducked down to the local after it rained all day and hit the river just as the sun dipped below the horizon. 3 fish had a crack at it, the last hitting it so hard it blew it clear of the water, then came back for another swipe. I'll have to work on the hook placement though, as only one of them hooked up and I think that was because it grabbed the fly hard rather than the hook setting.

Steve
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 9:29pm
Steve 
Very innovative - please let me know how they go, I cant see why they won't work.
If they work I'm wrapping a pool noodle around a 20/0 and going tiger shark fishing Wink
Matty
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Mattya Mattya wrote:

If they work I'm wrapping a pool noodle around a 20/0 and going tiger shark fishing Wink
Matty

Thanks Matty, as I say all credit should go to Rob - I just expanded on the idea......literally LOL

Like to see you cast a pool noodle on a 14wt Confused
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 12:56pm
good pattern Steve and it'd sound just like a frog falling into the water when cast
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Mattya Mattya wrote:

please let me know how they go, I cant see why they won't work.

First 3 fish landed on them.

Think they might work Wink - hookup rate could be better but plenty of interest.

Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 2:18pm
great stuff....just goes to show all the... you need this..... you need that .....is not really necessary!
keep it simple and have fun.
could you not put a stinger off the hook behind the barb to increase hook up? either on stainless or mono
Jas

flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

could you not put a stinger off the hook behind the barb to increase hook up? either on stainless or mono
Jas

Way ahead of you Wink  LOL

Actually, to be honest I'm not entirely convinced that a stinger is the way to go. I've tied up a couple more with stingers - one with marabou on 60lb braid and 1/0 single (sideways eye) that flutters enticingly on the retrieve and hangs down on the pause. Of the 6 fish that hit it today, only 2 hooked up and they were both on the main hook. It does act as a bit of a keel so that it lands hook down more often than not and a quick bloop flips it over most times when it lands upside down.

Next up will be some big (10/0?) singles to get that hook point well down, but I'm beginning to suspect that because of the light foam, it gets pushed out of the way from a strike. Short of weighting it a lot (horrible to cast) I might also try a wire frame so that the hook is held parallel with the body, but 8-10mm below it.

A more realistic colour might make them a bit more confident to eat it, rather than smash it territorially but the pink is good to see in low light, so a top deck 'paint' job with a sharpie has just happened too.

Anyway, more testing to do Thumbs Up

Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 4:40pm
yeh the weight would not help, it would be displaced easily....but who cares!!!!!!!!! its all fun.

paulo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:21pm
Nice fish mate. I'm not sure how weedless you need them to be, but could you use two single hooks either tied or poked through the sides of the flies, so they would be horizontal (or facing whichever direction you like) when the fly is resting on the water, with both of them attached to the snap???? Not sure if it would be practical, but if they're swiping at them it may increase the conversion rate.....

Paul
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 9:03am
Good idea Steve and great results.
Came across this pair of doubles in an Antique shop down Canberra way recently.
Has an extended leg three inches long, (both doubles), i wonder if it might have the strength to handle a cod

Interesting attachment to line and hook.

regards John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic