Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Forum Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Survey re LureLovers - Please read

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Survey re LureLovers - Please read
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 10:03pm
I have just learnt that one of our members received a request to complete an online survey asking what they think of LureLovers, the survey apparently offers a chance to win an iPad.

Please note that this was not created by myself or anyone associated with lurelovers.com, and is likely someone fraudulently trying to gain access to either information about you or your account details, or potentially targetting you with malicious software

I strongly reccomend that if you recieve a request to complete this survey that you do not click on the link to look at the survey in case it is malicious (probable)

I have asked for more details so I can have a better look at what they are up to, although please bear in mind that if I were to request feedback or conduct a survey I would do it via a post here on the forum at www.lurelovers.com, and would certainly not host it on another website outside of my direct control, and I would definately not use annoying pop-up messages/ads to do it.

I will post any additional info I can once I've had a chance to look at this in detail

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 3:40am
Thanks for the heads up Tony...

Mick!!!
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:31am
I think you are correct Tony.  I thought I would sign up for Stripers On line last week and found the same offer.
Also I had another offer for something as I was the 100,000 visitor.  My virus protector reported that it had blocked a bug at the same time, so there is some that's connecting up to fishing websites.

Gordon
dalbykayakin View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 6:33am
Been happening to me too i wonder how many free ipads they can afford to give away? Must have heaps
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:51am

I haven't found a great deal more about the instance I reported above, although at this stage it sounds like it's likely related to malware on the affected members computer, causing ads etc to pop up when you use the internet browser.

Gordon and Dalykayakin;
I don't mean to freak you guys out, although I suggest you both might want to do a thorough check on your computer for malware.

In addition to your existing antivirus software you might like to run Malwarebytes antimalware app as well, I find it good to use as a secondary test when something looks suspicious. Unfortunately no single antivirus application can be 100% effective as the buggers are creating new viruses and malware constantly.

Here's a link to the Malwarebytes site, you can use it free for a trial period and it still does a full scan;
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The most common way they can infect your PC is through embedding their nasty software in something that might sound usefull in their advertising spiel, things like Toolbars to add to your browser.

I avoid add-on toolbars like the plague, and in this day and age you also need to think carefully before clicking on any link in unsolicited emails (basically just don't do it unless you are 100% confident it is safe), depending on your security settings they can infect your pc just by getting you to visit a web page, you are even more at risk if you click on anything that pops up asking you to install add-ons, extensions etc, if you are not 100% sure of the source, don't!

Given that they seem to be targetting special interest groups that you visit I'd say they most likely have been collecting info about your web browsing habits (phishing for info), it might also be a good time to clean out the cookies and temporary files on your machine and check that you have security settings in your browser at a sensible level, it differs from one browser to another so the related website for your browser should have the info on how to do this.

Originally posted by dalbykayakin dalbykayakin wrote:

Been happening to me too i wonder how many free ipads they can afford to give away? Must have heaps

My guess would be none, if it seems to good to be true...

Cheers, Tony

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 12:53pm
Thanks Tony Thumbs Up
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:30pm
Mate l just clicked on post reply for this and l copped it , l hit the little red X very quick  Angry
         cheers wrapper
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:55pm
G'day Neil

I'd suggest checking out for malware as per my post above to GBG and Dalykayakin. Have you recently installed any browser toolbars or addons? kids games downloads are another favourite target for these morons to spread their crap as well.

If it were an issue on the forum (or this thread in particular) it would affect all forum users. It seems to affect a small number of users compared to the hundreds that use the forum each day, so without having seen it in person my best guess would still be that it's malware that's somehow gotten itself installed in your internet browser, most often this happens through installing third party add-ons or browser extensions, none of which are used here.

I doubt it's related to the issue discussed in this thread, although another thing worth mentioning on the subject of internet security precautions is the serious security flaws that currently exist in the Java platform, it is currently a good idea to disable Java (not Javascript) in your browser unless you are fully aware of the security implications of having it open  - it's a particularly nasty flaw and has even reached the stage where the US Government is putting pressure on Oracle to get their act together.

Cheers, Tony

D.Dads View Drop Down
Ron Davies Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.Dads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:59pm
thanks Tony
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 8:09pm
No problem, I did as Tony said and it cleared the little bug.  Its all good now but you have to be on the look out.  It must be a sport for those grubs.

Gordon
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

I haven't found a great deal more about the instance I reported above, although at this stage it sounds like it's likely related to malware on the affected members computer, causing ads etc to pop up when you use the internet browser.

Gordon and Dalykayakin;
I don't mean to freak you guys out, although I suggest you both might want to do a thorough check on your computer for malware.

In addition to your existing antivirus software you might like to run Malwarebytes antimalware app as well, I find it good to use as a secondary test when something looks suspicious. Unfortunately no single antivirus application can be 100% effective as the buggers are creating new viruses and malware constantly.

Here's a link to the Malwarebytes site, you can use it free for a trial period and it still does a full scan;
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The most common way they can infect your PC is through embedding their nasty software in something that might sound usefull in their advertising spiel, things like Toolbars to add to your browser.

I avoid add-on toolbars like the plague, and in this day and age you also need to think carefully before clicking on any link in unsolicited emails (basically just don't do it unless you are 100% confident it is safe), depending on your security settings they can infect your pc just by getting you to visit a web page, you are even more at risk if you click on anything that pops up asking you to install add-ons, extensions etc, if you are not 100% sure of the source, don't!

Given that they seem to be targetting special interest groups that you visit I'd say they most likely have been collecting info about your web browsing habits (phishing for info), it might also be a good time to clean out the cookies and temporary files on your machine and check that you have security settings in your browser at a sensible level, it differs from one browser to another so the related website for your browser should have the info on how to do this.

Originally posted by dalbykayakin dalbykayakin wrote:

My guess would be none, if it seems to good to be true...

i down loaded the programme that you recommended= malwarebyte
30 copies of PUP.Crossrider virus were found that other five anti-virus programs couldn't find 
a search of files couldn't find the virus files
many anti-virus free samples have virus that are common to their sales push , they find lots of infection on first scan , and will only remove them if you buy their product
malwarebyte offer to remove thirty infections for free
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 11:26am
There's some nasty survey Malware doing the rounds again it seems Thumbs Down

Thought I'd give this topic a bump to remind everyone to please check your antivirus software for updates and do a full scan if you haven't for a while.

It can also be a very good idea to run an alternate security scan (e.g. malwarebytes as I mentioned above) to catch anything that might slip through the net with your existing software

Originally posted by muckawa muckawa wrote:

many anti-virus free samples have virus that are common to their sales push , they find lots of infection on first scan , and will only remove them if you buy their product
malwarebyte offer to remove thirty infections for free

Very much the case Howard, in fact the ones you mentioned (i.e. sensational "OMG Your computer is infected, click here to fix it now!!!!" type messages) are malware themselves - it's amazing what some prats will do to scam a dollar Angry

Cheers, Tony

Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 11:50am
All great info Tony and crew.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic