LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fly Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIG FLYS for murray cod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIG FLYS for murray cod
    Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 6:33am
WHATS your thoughts &view on flys for cod in the larger dams? patterns etc Big smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 7:46am
Great Idea!
What weight gear are you proposing?
I have a 7-8 outfit, I'm sure it could handle smaller Cod.
See what 'those that know have to say.
VERY interested.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:32am
6/7 to 10/12 wt i think we might be useing WT forward sink tip MALWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:35am
DON'T CARE,,,,,,LET ME AT EM!
DARK LORD
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 9:28am
I think that you might struggle a little with wets in dams as there is a more water/fish than rivers where fish can sit and wait for something to drift past. Lures crash and bang into things and send out vibrations on retrieve and alert the fish which is a bit harder to do with flies.

That said, there are rattles and bibbed type flies (bob popvics pop-lip, the wiggle minnow and others) plus I've been playing a little with mumbler blade type additions to a fly. I've since gone to the same setup as a mumbler with the fly just changed out from the SP.

Or, just tie up some big surface flies Tongue

Steve
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 10:35am
I MAY do some extra large dalberges with a smaller colorado blade on wire for feet &noise with aplastic rattle tyed in there somewhereTongueBig smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:36pm
Is it LEGAL, to tow a fly, behind a Lure or teaser???
Downrigger type release.
Very interesting.........
DARK LORD
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:24pm
If you follow the hook requirements, (I think it's 6 hooks per line for Bass? maybe up to 9 for Cod????) then you should be able to BOB. Just chuck double hooks on the lure, then you're only running 5 off one line.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 4:49pm
HOLY DOOOOOLY wanna catch a cod not jag a mullet bro ConfusedConfusedConfusedWinkregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
That would be workable, still, I would use a release clip, to fight the fish on flyline.
DARK LORD
ComfortablyNumb View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComfortablyNumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:40pm
This is the type I tie which have proven successful.

I'm using an old cheapie 7wt fly rod, 7wt line and 20-30lb leader but tbh if I hook anything bigger than about 70cm, I'm in a world of trouble keeping it out of the snags.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:00am
7 wgt, that would be on the lighter side for cod wouldn't it? I knew blokes that used to use up to an 11 wgt.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
ComfortablyNumb View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ComfortablyNumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 7:16am
Yes def on the light side, but as these are river cod I can usually get away with it.

First lesson I learned is you can't play them with finesse like you would a trout.  You have to go hard from the start and not let them run else they are straight into the snags.  I lost the first (and best) one I hooked by trytng to play it like a trout.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 1:41pm
I had a mate that was laughed at by a certain fishing writer for chasing cod and yellows on the fly (about 25 years ago) until he saw the results. Then overnight the writer touted himself as the guru of native fly fishing and introducing it to Australian fishermen. John and his family had been chasing natives on the fly in the New England area for decades beforehand.

This is something I'm still to try for cod and yellows, got plenty of bass on it though.
Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:27am
ANY NEW FLYS for the new cod season??????
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:50am

Here ya go
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:54am

Galah colors 6/0
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:56am

Articulated 6/0
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 8:02am

5/0 yabby
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:09am
nice flys that crays a cracker the poppers heads are wine cork are they?ClapClapClapregards bob
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:26pm
Popper heads are 40mm foam that I cut and cupped out at the front
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 12:56pm
SWEET how do ya cup the front ??TongueTongueregards bob
bez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:33pm
I have a round ball stone bit for my drill and i just give that a bash . Pretty sure bunnings would have them.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:52pm
THANKyou very much think ive got one on the dremel will have go at few poppers ClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:24pm
I am in the middle of gearing up for a cod trip, going to be taking an 8wt and a 10wt. Have an order nearly finished with Ammo Flies, will share images when they arrive.
ZED View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 9:12pm
This last one lukes like our river crab. Great job Thumbs Up

Chears Slaven
ZED handmade lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:21am
DAVE have you got the flies yet mate be good to see what ya got mate  TongueTongueTongueregards bob
tak35bne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tak35bne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 10:30am
Flies arrived just before Xmas.......and.............WOW

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 6:27pm
Cool flies, the cod will swat thoseClap.

We had a truck driver many years ago that used to take his family fly fishing for cod in the New England area. A well known fishing journo saw them and laughed at them saying you can't catch natives on fly. When he saw them landing cod and yellowbelly he took notice then 2 months later he was writing about it proclaiming to be the pioneer of native fly fishing.
Martin-

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 2:09pm
HOE goods them frog patterns cool very nice d diver too awesome stuff have to be happy with them daveClapClapClapBig smileregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic