LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPINNER BAITS& jigs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPINNER BAITS& jigs
    Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 7:59am
HOW do you fish this style of lure & do ya use a trailer etc???????????Big smileregards bob
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 9:44am

I always use a trailer/stinger hook Bob, after getting a lot of hits but no hook ups.

Not sure how to answer on the style, i just cast them out and let them sink a bit (depending on depth) and just retrieve at a slow steady pace.

Also have a go a buzzbaits mate! Thumbs Up
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:14am
Cast out let sink use a slow slow retrieve stop start has always worked well for me.Yes use stinger hooks as have had heaps of bumps and no hook up with out stingers but when stringers fitted hook up regularly.

Cheers Errol
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:16am
JAMES do you spice the stinger with a plastic ????Big smileregards bob
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 10:53am
stinger hooks are a must,,,Gary CFSA
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:43pm
Depends what your fishing for on species like cod yellowbelly and redfin I'd say no.......but trout, bass and saltwater species such as bream /flathead whiting etc yes a stinger is beneficial........As for using them well its the same as hard bodies......If your in a good relaxed mood...... Your state of mind is in experimental stage as far as retrieve styles,fast burning ,slow rolling,jig and pause,waking the bait(who needs buzz spins) A v-spin retrieved along the top with rod tip held high will produce the same disturbance as the buzz bait........Plastic trailers used with stingers obviously works.....use a bulky enough plastic and your bait will be forced by water pressure to slow right down......Thats why certain cod spinnerbaits work so well as the plastic does most of the enticeing........Take that plastic /stinger equation out of the picture then cast spinnerbaits for natives with just the plain spinnerbait then its a whole new ball game and from personal experiences a hybrid spinnerbait will out fish a silicone/rubber stranded bait hands down and thats something the so called experts won't admit to........... The best way to present your soft plastic trailer is to first insert your stinger into the plastic bringing the eye into the body of the plastic and exiting the barb out near the tail.......Next insert your main hook into the plastic and thru the eye of the stinger if done correctly the plastic will lay level on the arrangement with both hooks immediately in line.....The plastic itself will hold the stinger in place but if you wish..... a added soft luminous bead can be positioned on top of the main hook and plastic to give added attraction..........I hope this helps you all in your quest for understanding a little more to do with using these excellent fish catching devices..........B.J.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:48pm
P.S. I did forget one other thing I personally don't like to use stingers on my lures as I get more of a thrill in knowing that my design has clean hooked the fish and not some ornament dangling off it......The thrill is in getting that clean main hook hook up because then that proves they wanted that lure.........B.J.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:50pm
WHAT are good hooks for a stinger hook (patern/brand/size } etcBig smileregards bob
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 1:00pm
I think it's an aberdeen pattern i normally use for spinnerbait stingers. Basically, you want something nice and straight.
If you don't want to use stingers, one thing to do to sure up the short strikes is to make sure the skirt doesn't hang way back off the hook.  Some brands have quite a lot of skirt off the back, allowing fish to hit plenty of skirt and completely miss the hook.
Circumstances dictate whether a stinger is a better option than trimming the skirt (extra snaggy country, fish size, etc)
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 1:01pm
Taking up spinnerbait manufacture are you bob????? Everyone I know who fishes bass use gamakatsu trailer hooks.......Come 5/6 in a pack with a plastic tube to hold hook in place.......My customers often want stingers on there lures too but I use long shanked eagle claw lazer sharps trailers for plastic insertion.....I like to use these because you can get a better hook up rate  fishing with 3inch sliders used as teasers if the need arises.........B.J.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 1:33pm
NAH BJ had my share of molten metal on the gal pot at hexham for half a lifetme just thinkig i might fish every thing in me shed got hundreds of spinnerbaits & rarelly use them so do ya put stingers on the bass foot ball jig what about rattles mumblers etcBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 2:08pm
Not sure about pattern but i just get the trailer hooks sold at BCF.
Gamakatsu Spinnerbait trailer hooks size 1/0.

It comes with a piece of plastic tubing for you to cut and place over the original hook after inserting the stinger hook on.
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:11pm
i don't fish the coathangers LOL, never had a hit or a fish on one
but got blitzed by a mate on a trip on natives outfished me by heaps
and yes he used a stinger bare without grub

regards George
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 3:24pm

I prefer no stinger on mine when walking the banks less chance of losing them and I don't think there hook up rate is that much different. In saying that if the fish are shut down and I am in a boat I will use one with a stinger and soft plastic for that extra bulk and tail wobble in the water. I make spinnerbaits and use Lunker City soft plastics on all the ones l sell, the action on them is awesome. As for skirts I use silicone skirts as it makes no difference what skirt material you use, and that is from experience. I believe the main component on the S/Bait is the blade, vibration and flash will outweigh a skirt colour and material every time.

Cheers Nigel
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 4:40pm
Used to use Gamakatsu Siwash Hooks as a stinger, but found some Strike King Trailer hook packs which I quite like, and they come with the surgical tube retainer included Clap

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:46pm
BRAD there got a pretty big eye them hooks ive tied a few flys on emBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 7:10pm
Yes they do Bobby, that's why they work so well, even on our bigger hooks we tend to fit to bigger s/baits.

If ya want some tips on Jigs, PM me as I have spent considerable time developing and learning how to use them PROPERLY (took a Yank and a couple of Japanese guys to get me right Embarrassed)

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:03am
SWEET BRAD so with the bigger eye is that so the hook swings more freely for more hook coverage?????????Big smileregards bob
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:17am
on my larger spinnerbaits 1oz l have been useing large 5/0 eagle claw hook on the spinnerbait then dropping down to a 2/0 eagle claw stinger hook and placing a 3'' soft plastic on the stinger , working realy well on the cod here              cheers Wrapper Wink
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:23am
WRAPPER should the stinger hook be larger than the jig hook?????????TongueTongueregards bob
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:13pm
I too have enjoyed many long sessions casting from banks and boats with spinnerbaits......A thread like this is great as everyone has a differing ideaology involving these fish catchers.....I well remember in the early nineties when the spinnerbait craze took off for the second time around how myself included started to bulk up these rubberskirted lures so they would look appealing to our western natives........but the trouble I personally had was keeping the rubberskirts in place for the life of the spinnerbait.......I therefore turned to other materials and now rely on fur and mylar fibres to dress my baits.......I didn't stop there though in redesigning my spinnerbaits....... I actually had them independently tested on the Lachlan river in N.S.W. by a customer who had large stocks of a very well known brand of Australian origin/locally made spinnerbait with adorning fish plastic used as a trailer......... and his son used my full fur 1ounce single bladed bait.......The results were mind blowing.......My bait out caught the other on cod and yellas by a large margin so much in fact that the previous spinnerbaits were dumped and they bought a few hundred dollars worth from me.......That was 3 yrs ago and recent contact reveals that they didn't know how to re-contact me for re-order as snags and some nice cod had claimed all the fur tied spinnerbaits.......So what have they done well they got rid of all the rubber off the others and glued rabbitt fur all over them..........Now I wonder why?????????????? By the way the wallet quickly came out again when they saw the new tiger patterns.......Also in salt water on species like bream and flathead I've had more success with hybrid tied spinnerbaits than rubber skirted models......I'm not saying I'm any guru on spinnerbaits but I will say this much to you I've been playing with them for so long...... trimming wire......  using that coloured blade there,......trying this blade out in that configuration....... catching that species of fish........and colours lets see I was playing with u.v. coloured materials in my skirts long before the recent craze on it all........ as a matter of fact you just might find that Steve Morgan and I discussed the matter some 12mnths before the recent lure craze over it..... with japanese lures began a fever for U.V. but there has been Aussies using it for years in there flies and skirts....... me included.....So I will stand by what I originally stated that rabbit fur baits will out fish rubber skirts........I am also willing to put my money where my mouth is....... I challenge any other spinnerbait manufacturer to a one on one casting/fishing challenge on any cod water in Australia with the plain spinner bait equipped with skirt and main hook only........ No stinger hooks and no soft plastic teasers to be used at any time...........Any Takers???????? B.J.
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:31am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

WRAPPER should the stinger hook be larger than the jig hook?????????TongueTongueregards bob
Bob ,l used a smaller stinger hook as l wanted the stinger hook to end around the end of the skirt , now l use them on most of my sizes because thats all l have left at moment LOLLOLLOL
BJ , mate if your challange is open to anyone that makes spinnerbaits and not just the big boys put my name down it sounds like fun , a few bourbons a chat and a fish , what else can you ask for Wink , might be up your way later in the year l will PM you when l know
          Cheers Wrapper
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 8:41am
ILL also try the smaller hook with trailer thanks wrapper lostock would be a great spot for A spinner bait only comp its a small electric dam full of big bass WinkWinkWinkWinkregards bob
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 12:13pm
WinkWrapper I'm only a "Big Boy" in size only.........Now the more infamous brands aren't at the top of there tree because of what they soley manufacture.....It's because they've got the marketing angle and financial ability to create the illusion that they are a "Big Boy" player........Think about it you get enough writers on board....... producing multiple articles on your product........ which means in your face exposure 24/7......... and then all of a sudden everyone else is bluffed......... into thinking there on the top of the tree......... but when you pull all the smoke and mirrors away......... are they any bigger than you????? The fishing industry is an illusion and money creates that illusion.............One other thing mate your always welcome around my camp oven as long as your a light eaterLOLWink...,Matter of fact any lure maker who isn't kidding themselves with industry ego is welcome around my campoven........As for my challenge...... it is... as it is...... any spinnerbait manufacturer here in Australia.......There product against mine.....no stingers........no soft plastic trailers........just plain hooked and skirted spinnerbaits or for Nigel in Bendigo no skirt at all as he says( vibration and flash is everything and skirts don't come into it!!!!!) Well Nigel you can run your hook bare mate and prove to me your theory!!!!!!!!! Personally never seen a western native fish grab a bare hook arrangement before so if it can be done please show me????? Any cod water in Australia thats not familiar to participating owners/anglers........regards B.J.
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 2:58pm
When it comes down to it, all spinnerbaits are the same. They have a skirt, blade and hook. The components are where they are differentiated based on the quality that are used. Unlike a lot of industry I try not get caught up in the politics of it all. I make lures for myself and sell a few, I enjoy seeing the pics that get sent back to me from people that have caught fish on my lures, probably more than I do catching them myself.

BJ, BJ, BJ......... You are not reading what I wrote. I said "it does not matter what skirt material you use", said nothing about using a bare hook. I also said that "I believe" ( can also be interpreted as just my opinion) the blade is more important than the skirt. That is just my opinion, but I believe (once again BJ, just my opinion) that I would have more hope of catching a fish with a a blade and no skirt than you would with a skirt and no bladeWink.  In saying this I do agree with the majority of what you wrote above. Lots of people read fishing mags and if there are enough articles about a certain product in them a lot of fisherman will buy them. I am not really sure which manufacturer you are referring to, but the Bassman-Rod Mackenzie partnership is a ripper. I would hate to think of how many dollars in sales that has arisen out of the articles Rod has written in fishing mags. But that is marketing.

BJ if you want to check out the gear I make type in Loddon Lure Spinnerbaits into facebook or your search engine. Do you have a web page would like to check you gear out as well.
Cheers Nigel
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:56pm
Nigel great to hear back from you mate no I haven't set up a product page yet but however if you go to the N.S.W. listings on this very site and look for B.J's Custom Baits you will find examples of my work........"In Your Opinion" yeah yeah got that one......I will take you up on the skirted jig side( skirt v's blade) as you and I both know a in-line spinner equipped with bare hook will catch fish but so will a skirted jig without blade will give the same result.......As for the Bassman thing........Why is everyone always assuming I'm solely talking about them????? Now lets see theres Aus-Spin- used to employ writers.....Mudguts has a writer and therefore slowly building a niche in the market place not to mention a few others and you are right Rod mckenzie and Dave Hodge and Lubin Pfiefer and John mennenhennet and Tony Bennett and Rod Harrison and quite a few others all write and promote bassman spinnerbaits and for Glen and Sue Casey its been a marketing coup...........Thats just the way the market operates that I know.......Now I also know from experience if you haven't a staff of writers performing for you, its a long..... but in the end satisfying journey to the top....... But a very long road to travel indeed.........As for your baits Nigel???? I never knew until now that your brand existed BUT I will be going to have a look at what your up to mate.......Also I'm glad there is a diversity of people making there own spinnerbaits,I for one though would like to see more diversity in the finished products instead of eyeryone just copying each other........regards B.J.
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 7:04am
Nigel , l to will get on facebook and have a look at your spinnerbaits and if your ever up in Yarrawonga give me a yell would like to have a chat and fish also if you type in Wrapperbaits on face book you will see my spinnerbait page           cheers wrapper
stormboy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 7:19am
Checked out them spinnerbaits BJ, they certainly are different. Like the look of the rabbit fur and flashing. How does it go in the water when it is wet? Does is still flair up? I might have to get hold of one and give it a try down in this neck of the woods.
As you said the people that have the writers are a step ahead in the marketing game. Myself personally I am not interested in getting to big in the game, just enjoy making them and selling a few to people that are looking for a cheaper alternative, but still keeping the quality up there with the bigger named brands. I sell mine for $10 each so don't make a lot out of them but enough to keep buying the components and feeding my fishing habit.  You are right about the diversity in the finished product, I am always thinking what can I do differenly, but haven't come up with the magical answer yet. How far from Sydney is Wingham? I head up to Sydney reguarly as the inlaws live there and am always looking for new cod water to try. Where would the nearest cod water be from Sydney?

No worries Wrapper, I do get up there occasionaly and hoping to make it up there in the next couple of months, so will give you a yell. Will check your facebook page out as well. How has Mul been fishing lately?

Cheers Nigel

doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 8:32am
G'day NigelClap Very well done mate.......Nice baits,page etc......If I don't get excess glue spillage over the fur nit actually breathes quite well in the water when stationary as a matter of fact both fibres while underway react in form similar to a bait fish but stop the action and both materials flare quite attractively............Yeah up near Nundle not that far from here via some dirt roads is Chaffey Dam I haven't fished it since I was a very young child but they have a good stock of cod apparently and wingham is 31/2 hrs north of Sydney........Yep get in touch bring a swag and we'll go hunting cod together........ Just a quick note though at a place called Rylstone near lithgow  is Dunns Swamp which has also a self sustaining population of cod..........regards B.J. Also Glenbawn Dam near Scone/Aberdeen has large stocks of illegal placed cod within its environment.........B.J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic