LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Method for keeping grubs from slipping on jigs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Method for keeping grubs from slipping on jigs
    Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:40pm
How many of you have used super glue to keep grubs from slipping down a jig hook. It's messy and leaves chunks of plastic on the lead bard when you want to change plastics. FORGET SUPER GLUE FOREVER!!! Shocked

Thin floral arrangement wire coated with green plastic  is cheap and available everywhere and has many uses when it comes to fastening soft plastics to jigs.

Here is a photo step-by-step:

A weedless design:

In other words,
1. wrap the wire around the line tie once.
2. cut one end a bit close and squeeze tight to the wire.
3. cut the other end and make a bend that will enter perpendicular to the body.
4. Just swing the wire into the plastic and catch dozens of fish and you are able to reuse the lure over and over (until a large toothy critter eats the lure off your line Cry)

Note: ever since I came up with the idea ten years ago, I stopped buying lead head jigs with barbs. The grub keeper does just fine.

dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 2:13pm
A nice simple idea! Is that a plastic weed guard in the last pic?
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 2:27pm
First it was me dragging the missus to spotlight - Now the florist I hope the guys at the saloon bar don't find out
Cheers Great simple idea, Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 4:21pm
"Is that a plastic weed guard in the last pic?"

Yes. I use the thin part of a small zip tie. It can be a little tricky cutting a slit for the line tie and pushing it one, but it works. Lately I've been using thin wire as a weed guard and pickerel guard.

"Now the florist I hope the guys at the saloon bar don't find out "
Not to worry, most department stores like Walmart carry the wire in crafts and florists don't sell it.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 6:40pm
Thanks frank
It's bad when your 9 year old daughter and her friend only come to my shed to borrow the nail polish for my fly tying only guys.
Cheers mate
Fish Choking Lures :)
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 12:15am
As long as they don't discover the wig and panties your okay!  LOL
Kahuna View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 12:44am
I have found using TT Headlocks jigheads slipping is reduced. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic