Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > SA Lures > Bill Jackson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Final big one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final big one
    Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:29pm
I have finally finished the last big lure I started in 1980's. It is a present for the wife of the guide I fish with in Darwin. She had an interesting discussion with her husband about the ownership of one of the big bomber style lures I made for him but lost. She is quite a fisherperson her best barra was a mere 37.5 kg at the Noarlangie Creek rock bar casting Lures. I actually had to cut the bib by hand from 3mm stainless.

I finally have had a shot at a cod lure. There was No intent to copy any particular lure however I struggled to find a shape that was totally individual and I have with-held posting from fear of treading on someones toes. If I have I genuinely apologise but ensure that it is for my use only.

The older I get the more I learn.
2RODS View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2RODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 10:49pm
That's nice looking lure.. Will smash the barra at shady camp ...
It seems one of my unknowns is one of yours too.. Seaweed id'd it today..

When your next up I would love you to check it for me...

Cheers
Paul
Dunbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:04pm
That cod lure looks real good,could u show a photo from side on. Thanks Pete
Water Stalker Lures
What water are you stalking.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:12pm
G'day Pete this is the side profile much like a lot of cod lures.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 12:23am
Bill I don't think theres any new shapes left to make a cod lureLOL,yours looks pretty original though and very nice it is tooThumbs Up
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 12:40am
Chris I struggled to find something different but as you say most shapes have been done B4. I looked at the many lures I use and the many I have purchased from this site and struggled to find something unique. That lure has been made for a while as I have had a little pressure to see what I could make. It certainly was a different challenge and I will make another one to use, slightly different in shape, that one is on the shelf.
 Billj
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 6:21pm
Top cod lure Bill, and that big fella - she would probably smack her hubby around the head with it if he eyed it off too much.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 4:31am
Great lures there Bill both of them...nice work Cool

Mick!!!
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 8:44am
Beautiful lures Bill. What depth were you targeting with the cod lure? And what action.   Debbie Dare.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 10:50am
Deb I was hoping for 15-20 feet with that one and it was plowing the bottom at about 12ft when cast from the local launching ramp. I need to play when boat is back coz it was only experimental and I am playing with bib sizes shapes and tow points until I am happy. I have a second one with a larger body
and have made 3 bibs which are interchangeable until I decide which is best and glue and pin bib in place. That is aimed at some snag piles in deep holes and I am hoping for 25- 30 ft but won't know until I have the boat going. Will post a photo later as I am off to grandsons football now
Billj
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 9:08pm
"The Dredge" prototype not yet completed will probably deepen the Murray in places! Billj

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 1:05am
Love the cod lures Bill, one day, I will add a big cod to my memory...they are right up there on my things to do soon list, my pb so far is about 55cm....need to get a big one!
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 8:00pm
love your work bilge!Great looking cod lure too have fun with it ay! If you think of carving more you can put my name down for one mate.....As for your Jewie lures well I've been waiting for the right moment to cast at a jew!Last few weeks nothing but soapies in the channel which is some 100m from my back door. Except for this week the big girls have arrived as testing my new jig heads has revealed in the last 2 days with metre plus fish handing it out to me and smoking my offerings. 7ft spin stiks from the rock wall might be great for tailor spinning but I've since learn't there no good for holding big fish in open water while trying to figure out where to scale down the wall and land them. The fish when given there heads just swim down the channel under oyster encrusted rocks and cut the leader off, so I've dug out the 12ft ugly stik to cast with, armed your tailor coloured lure with 4x mustad stainless trebles  2/0 size and solid halco split rings. the jew have been with the tailor school which average 40cms in size and have proven to be great fun on casted soft plastics. (culprit-riptide 3inch mullets in white) check them out! Anyway will be hitting the mornings high tide with your minnow so go to bed with crossed fingers that the jew like the lure in the morning. I'll be casting without scent first and then will be trialling the new Squid scent from America called Pro-cure super gel with U.V. flash as distributed by another Australian lure company....cheers mate......B.J.
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 9:15pm
Nice lures Bill i have no trouble identifying your lures u certainly have your own style and i think thats what makes lures interesting that bottom one got  a very fishy look, cheers Dave Smile
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 2:57pm
Cry No fish chewing this morning Bill, Did have a great surprise though in that no plastics rose fish but your lure did mate, the tailor were there but only in a flighty non chewing mood. Had the biggest Tailor I reckon follow your lure for some 20m before losing interest......No jew Ho -hum! Only a matter of time now and cast,cast cast! seeya mate......B.J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic