Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures > Nautilus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nautilus 3 Hooker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautilus 3 Hooker
    Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:51am
Found along with a Dempster and Munt, I posted previously, was this 15cm (6") three hooker.
This particular style is the 2nd generation lure Chris made here, starting around 1987. What's interesting is the 10cm (4") one shown, was the size produced to target Darwin harbour barra. Many were made and lost by locals, (including me) as they were very effective. I've never seen an example of the larger one, until I found this one last week, could be rare, maybe even as rare as a timber Reidy's LOL.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
2RODS View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2RODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 11:05am
Never seen a 3 hook one.... Great find
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 1:54pm
tony , its quite possible that the 3 hook one is rare , maybe as rare as a timber reidys, or a dave pearce timber 3 hook LOL, pearcey
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 3:55pm
Bloody Captain Seaweed you are da man.....I have posted a photo several times for help & NO one knew anything,,,,,now you post this picture & BANG I see the light,,,,that smaller lure is that a MUNT....the one I have is the same but different colour & with yellow over red eyes....Gary CFSA
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 10:01am
No mate, the smaller lure is a 4" Nautilus, the common size. I mentioned that a Dempster and Munt were found at the same time as the larger lure shown. I've had the smaller one for years, be interested to hear of anyone else who may have come across them.
Paul, I'll ask Chris Hurt next time I bump into him, he sometimes does a day or two at Fishing & Outdoor World, when he's not guiding.
Regards, Seaweed.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:50am
Turns out this larger lure is definitely scarce, was talking with the maker Chris Hurt yesterday, he stated only a few were ever made. One batch sent to BarraBase on Bathurst Is. in the 80's, for the guides to target the XL Threadfin, that were smashing all their gear in the creeks. Another batch made as prizes for the Barra Classic at the same time, and that's about it, so anyone finding one definitely a collector.
Seaweed.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 12:07pm
Nice find Tony
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 2:16pm
Got these one's has 3 hook hangers, don't know an age though. Tim
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 6:35pm
are they reidys bottom one has been left in the heat to long, tackle box has bubbled the paint, pearcey
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 8:00pm
Pearcy, would love them more if they were Reidys but was told they are Nautilus, its not a bubble but a dag left on body of lure then painted over. Tim
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 10:40am
Tim, not Nautilus I'm thinking 6" G-Lures, also made here by the Forrester's of Howard Springs.
Seaweed.
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 11:44am
Seaweed, was told for sure they are Nautilus lures, looking at eyes of other Nautilus, hook hangers and even the body shape compared to your 3 hooker [same body], i say they are for sure Nautilus lures, looked at some older posts of Nautilus Lures too. cheers Tim
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 12:03pm
played with Tims to get them same size for comparison ....
Very similar, but a few small differences, definate influences from each other either way

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 12:25pm
Thanks Brad, see this pic of Tonys lures same eyes and hook hangers as top lure, markings under belly are same as well. Tim
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 12:41pm
Here is another one i have, Tony you ID'd these ages ago as Nautilus lures saying around mid 80's, they have spray on eyes too same as this one. cheers Tim
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 9:55am
Tim, on a relook at these pics all together, your 3 hookers definitely looks to be same as his first made around c1985. That 3" top black/silver of mine was first style he made, eyes, bib shape same. Looks like you scored some I didn't even know he made. I'll definitely get the full story next time I bump into Chris. He did tell me he made very limited numbers, but didn't elaborate re timeframe or which style.
Now to complete my set, you'll have to send me one of those LOL, have a nice early Henry BarraKing 4" double to trade.
Well done to you, definitely a nice find, be interested to know when and where you acquired.
Regards, Seaweed.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:49am
GREAT lure desgns very coolClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic