LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > Finnish Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

old Rapalas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: old Rapalas
    Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 8:25pm
The bigger one has caught a toothy critter with a nice mark down one side. Anybody have a clue on the age of these?

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 8:32pm
The bigger one could be up to 40yrs old, they haven't changed much over time, foil over Balsa. The smaller one I remember from the late 70's early 80's as I had a couple. Very tight shimmy action, good for trout..
Fysshe
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 12:56pm
The bigger one could also be an ABU Killer. Very similar in shape but doesn't have the name on the bib, where Rapalas and Rebel models do.
Fysshe
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

The bigger one could be up to 40yrs old, they haven't changed much over time, foil over Balsa. The smaller one I remember from the late 70's early 80's as I had a couple. Very tight shimmy action, good for trout..

As above, they havn't changed much since first production. Still selling them today.
If they say "Ireland" on the bib then they are from around that era.
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:23am
The smaller one looks like a rapala "countdown" model.
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:17am
Actually...Rapalas have gone through many changes over the years Wink

G1 is with the star designed foil coating.  The red lines for the mouth, referred to as lipstick lines, are present on this generation.  It also has the white press on belly with the black writing on the belly and on the plastic lip.  This is a two hook design.

G2 not much changed other than the outer body on this version.  Still with the lipstick lines, black writing, two hooks, and pressed on white belly.

G3 pretty much stayed the same, except it sports the three hook design.

G4 version has a painted on belly.  The baits are a bit stouter too.  Also gone at this point is the black writing on the belly and lip.

G5 version has more of a blended body.  Not as much of a distinction or transition from sides to belly.

G6 the latest scheme has a change to the mouth, no longer sporting the lipstick lines.  The white belly is almost completely gone.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:27am
nope, raps still have black printing on their bellies, at least some models do.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:30am
I think their biggest changes over the years have been their addition of numerous different models and especially the vast changes in lips/bills.

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:37am
Great pictures Beer Breath. Love Rapalas!
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 10:45am
thanks, chep.
for that i'll post a few more.
the coolest thing about rapalas, is that they hold the world record for world records.
kinda hard not to have confidence in them.
I don't run them as much as I should.
but I've done well for lake trout, rainbow trout and bull trout with them.
and when I was younger, I remember dad's tackle box always had several in it for pike.
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 1:29am
Originally posted by beer-breath beer-breath wrote:

nope, raps still have black printing on their bellies, at least some models do.

With all due respect....the "printed belly" lures I pointed out were from the 1960's & early 1970's. Back then the only models made were the Floating & Countdown The info was shared by a collector with hundreds of Rapala's. Thumbs Up

The printed belly lures you have pictured are all from 2000+ Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic