LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > I'd better not lose this Lure!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you still have your first lure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you still have your first lure?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 7:27pm
Bought this Rebel Crawdad at Amart Allsports when i was still in school (back when they used to sell guns and ammo). Used it to catch spangled perch in my parent's dam. Found it still with the box on a recent visit back to the farm.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 9:13pm

A couple given to me by my cousin in Cairns when i was a kid. They are what really got me started in lure fishing.
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 9:39pm
I was less than nine, lived in Bundeena, Port Hacking. Bought a packet of plastic worms on hooks! They didn't work! Tried artificials now and again till I finally caught a flathead on a manns. Lost that to SNAGS. Started catching fish consistently on Killalure Flatz Rat, still my favorite
Cheers Matt.
It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 10:51pm
Earliest ones I can remember are Cordell jointed redfin and red smiths jig. I still have the smith jig somewhere.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 11:21pm
My first lure was a "Lucky 7" spinner I got from the barber shop in Wagga Wagga. Took it down to the Murrumbidgee in town and lost it first cast! Angry That's when I decided to make my own...
Fysshe
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 6:57am
I can't remember my first lure. But I remember my first Murray cod, I was given a lure by a mate of mine a red black dart. Had that lure on all day for 3 cod and yes I still have that lure although it is pretty beatin up now
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 9:17am
Wonder Spoon!
Single hook screwed to body.
Trolled for Tailor in Lake Macquarie, with a workmate of Dad's.
Left it with him.
Cheers   Mal

DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 9:44am
The first 2 lures I bought were a red and white Bellbrook floater and a Heddon Zara popper. I was still at boarding school and caught the bus out to Bondi Junction from the City with a mate to pick them up from Hank Newman Sports. I had no idea how and where to fish them. Witness the fact that later the same day I caught a tailor in the Harbour on the Bellbrook (my first fish on a lure) before losing it to another. I still have the Heddon lure. Regards, Ken
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 10:46am
First plastic from USA,very late 60's. bought it because it was so different from our spinners and wobblers down in Tassie at the time.
It has actually eaten right through the plastic draw and with a little pressure, eased the tail and hook through the hole with out tearing or damaging the lure

Note the three wire weed guards, lure actual extends to six inches, looks like a baby eel in its shape.

Some surface rust on the first two hooks, last hook brand new , never actually used the lure.
the old cellophane packaging has deteriorated along time ago.

regards John

bkool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 4:09pm
Yes, My first lure was a boomerang with doll eyes bought from swinees tackle barn in Parramatta. It caught my first fish on lure a massive carp in Burrinjuck dam. I am not sure which one I actually caught the carp on. But it is one of these. Bkool.
Sloory View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 4:40pm
I find it amazing that people still have their early lures, mine are all long lost to snags! lol

Guess that doesn't say too much for my fishing skills haha.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 7:07pm
My first lures were those plastic shrimps and insects on cards from Kmart over 35 years ago - never caught a thing on them. About 8 years later I used metal spinners on tailor at Fraser Island - they may be among the remnants of these lures I have now. My first hard body plastic a few years later was a gold chrome cotton cordell rattlin spot which smashed the flathead and still is my favourite lure for them. My first timber was around the same time - a silver/black striped killalure bream bait for bass.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
retiredron View Drop Down

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 12:05am
Hi Guys, -- Cleaned out an old Tackle box and found the following timber lure built by my son in 1975 aged 12 for Bass in the northern rivers of NSW. Also a few home made lures dating back to around 1950. I'll post some more photos later on.   Ron[IMG]
greybeard
1wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 7:15am
I wish i still had my first lure but it is gone to snag heaven a lot of years ago and it was a orange Flopy , bought by my grandfather in the early 70's at the Sporting Goods Store in Wingham .

At the same time he bought a Jitterbug for my cousin but i cant remember colour , wow we were excited and yes both lures caught fish and fishermen .
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 7:32am
My first lure was this Alpha and didn,t it work well, Bought it in 75 i think, The first lure i made was this green and black but my oldest is this Williams and sons Phantom, Era 1900, Sold by Allcocks, Hardy bros and Farlo
peter
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:06am
1st bibed lure i bought was a rublex flopy from a small sports store in port maquarie, next to the bottle shop near the ambulance station, for those that know Port. Must have been about 1981 or 2, and flopys were getting hard to find then.
I stopped using them after a really good session on "perch" bass on a wee wart.

but my earliest memories of throwing lures were WK arrows, irons like henchman and coffins, and wonder pilchards. Also started using mister twisters for flathead around the same time. I dont recall much else on the tackle shops shelves at the time except a few celtas, rapalas and nilsies....
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:46am
This is the first lure I made can't remember what year.

Lionel
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:01am
Not sure which came first the wonder wobbler or the smiths jig, used to troll for tailor at Harrington bar as a kid the cousin and I would toss to see who got red or white. Still have the first lure I made back in early 80s
Flapper Man
David
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:25pm
bought a toby and a wonder wobbler from the shop at amity point on straddy and fished on the old jetty (long gone now)for tailor. used the coloured cotton from my football jersey and wrapped it around a small hook to catch pike and small trevally uder the pioneer river bridge in mackay.....that's a long time ago......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 10:48am
Don't have my first lure, but when I was about 12 years old, I cut about 3 inches off my Mom's broom handle and made a popper. Painted it red and white. Wish I had kept it.
Verlon
Baitman
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 11:45am
how did your Mum go with the short handled broom Verlon?
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 11:51am
my first lure was a small flopy that my Dad found in an irrigation channel at the bottom of our farm.Dad and I used to target the spangled perch and eels on worms but were amazed when we caught spangled perch on the little flopy .It didn't take long for us to lose it to a snag though and so it was back to bait fishing
that's no how ye make porridge!
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 5:02am
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

how did your Mum go with the short handled broom Verlon?

Chris, she used it ok, but I don't think she ever found out who cut it off,

Verlon
Baitman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic