LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stripping old paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripping old paint
    Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 12:40pm
For those guys who restore old lures, or repaint not so old ones.

What is the preferred method for stripping top coats and paints off?
I've seen some of the guys who sell a 'pimping' service use a sand blasting type arrangement (not practical for small quantity i want to do...)
And does it change if the type of paint is different?

Also, if paint is not chipped/cracked/degraded and I just hate the colours on some old lures, do I need to fully strip them back or can I just rough up the clear.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 1:38pm
ducks if your paint is not chipped and cracked you can just rub them down with 400 wet and dry and water and repaint them just make sure the paint your putting on is compatable with the original,ive stripped lures using paint stripper before but don't do this on lures that have polycarb bibs (it melts) also don't leave the stripper on longer than you have to or else it'll start eating at the araldite
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 7:59pm
Ducks,
Most of the lures I have restored are pretty badly beaten, so I normally go right back to bare timber. You can scrape off the old paint, I use the back of an old industrial hacksaw blade or you can soak them in thinners. Both methods work but thinners attacks poly bibs and can eat away most glues so I prefer to scrape them back.
Cheers,

Gavin
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:57pm
Elbow grease it is Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic