LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humidity and resin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humidity and resin
    Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 2:01am
Hi have just joined this site and want to have a go at doing some lures in resin, what kind of humidity levels is it best to try and cast resin lures in, i have tried some but i get a bit of foaming when it setsConfusedConfused
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:20am
I couldn't tell you the best humidity levels James obviously the lower the better a good indicator is to keep a small amount of micro balloons in an open container on a shelf in your workshop(be wary of it though as its not good to inhale),if the microballoons are clumping together its too humid to mold but if they are light and airy after a stir (kind of like talcum powder) then your good to go.some of the boys over here who live in colder parts have de humidifiers in their workshops for when they paint maybe one of these would work for molding too?
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 12:23pm
With humidity aim for 50 % or lower , with any of the resins as they dry they generate heat which draws moisture out of the air , and when they dry it will not be as strong because of the moisture in the resin .
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 8:46pm
they also don't float as goodLOL
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:19pm
James, also dont know the exact humidity level to avoid but my understanding is that is it not one particular humidity event which ruins the casting it is the amount of moisture which the resin and the microballoons have absorbed.

Microballons are easy to tell if they have absorbed too much, as chris said, if they are soft and easy to stir like talcum powder then they should be good. If they are not it is easy to fix, just spread them on some baking paper and put them in a low oven for an hour. I have done this a couple times with mine and works a treat.

Resin is heaps harder to detect other than the final foaming effect. Once it starts to ruin I dont think you can do anything about it. Then have a maximum shelf life of 6 months generally cause they start absorbing the moisture quick. What I do it minimise exposure of the resin to air and when storing spray in some air blanket which helps.

Angus
james View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2013 at 3:11am
Thanks for the replys, my son has a  weather station that gives the humidity levels, i will have to relocate it to my shed so i can check on when it is best to pour the resinSmileSmileSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic